My Transmission Blew Up

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
I just lost grears 3,4,5, and 6 on my 17 SI (tuned w/ 106K). not looking for an diagnostic guesses, I just need a new trans. currently making about 300whp/wtq and plan on hitting about 350 by the end of my build. What I'm trying to find is a Pre-Built trans capable of holding my desired power but am coming up short on my google and forum searches. any leads are greatly appreciated. TIA
Sponsored

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PPG or hpd 4th but why risk every other gear again.

Not too sure who makes pre built trans if any but these are first the best options idk if rv6 is still making their gear set

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Damn. I wish Honda let my keep my blown bearing tranny when I sent in for extended warranty replacement to sell to whoever needed a functional unit. But I wish you the best on your hunt

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I currently have a stock gear set out for REM Polish and REM Black after having them sent out for cryo treatment. My gear set has 86K miles, but 4th gear is new since all the teeth are missing on the original gear. I've been discussing with a guy at New England Gear Polishing about pushing stock materials into higher loads with these treatments and he says there is no strong data on how much more life I'll be able to get, since there are several variables to evaluate. Suffice to say, this is a common thing to do where the aftermarket is not available for some drivetrain components. I also don't want to pay $4K for PPG gears just yet, then only to have 1-4. I race my car, and want to put it back on the big track, where I see 5th gear on the straights. I think the ethanol tune is too much for long durations in 4th gear, but that's the gear I'm in most on the big track. Stock tranny seems fine for autocross. I don't drag race this car, so the lower gears don't get as much punishment. I also commute with the car, so it has to be reliable. I have a second stock tranny with low miles on it. I plan to treat the gears in that tranny once I swap the other one back in. I plan to punish the treated tranny to see if it will hold up. Either way, I'll comment on the thread I started earlier for cryo treatment and let everyone know if this inexpensive upgrade is worth it. Having a second tranny to swap out with is paramount to keeping the car on the road/track. As long as the case stays in good shape, gear cost is reasonable to rebuild every now and then.

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
I just lost grears 3,4,5, and 6 on my 17 SI (tuned w/ 106K). not looking for an diagnostic guesses, I just need a new trans. currently making about 300whp/wtq and plan on hitting about 350 by the end of my build. What I'm trying to find is a Pre-Built trans capable of holding my desired power but am coming up short on my google and forum searches. any leads are greatly appreciated. TIA
There is a stock SI trans for sale in the classifieds, if your looking to drop in a stock trans short term. If you lost 3-6 at the same time that sounds like shift forks possibly.

@Chris_19Si Glad you decided to do both cryo and REM, curious how it goes. Will be better, just how much better is the unknown.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
We tried the treated gears on B/H/D/K series trans for years in the early 2000's before we got aftermarket gears with almost no success. They still sheered off teeth once you hit a certain power level. Since PPG does make a gearset, there is no reason at all to go any other way.

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Running a Stage 2 ethanol tune is the experiment. Running on the street doesn't seem to bother the transmission much. Been reliable for about a year on my tune, with several high speed runs on the highway. The long duration running at high loads on Track Day in 4th gear seemed to put it over the edge. Damage accumulation caught up to me. I think there is enough data out there to run the tune on the street just fine. I'm trying to see if the treated gears solves my problem, but eventually I want to move into a big turbo and make the car more dedicated to the track. At that point, PPG would certainly make sense to keep the car on the track more. I love the Phearable 2.5 tune, but find myself running on Map 1 for the street just to keep my spare tranny alive long enough to put the other one back together. I wish someone would've told me racing is expensive :).

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
just out of curiosity, what are your mods and what tune are you running?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
just out of curiosity, what are your mods and what tune are you running?
This is one of the reasons I ask all tuned owners to add their car to my community tuning thread. It's a great resource to keep track of everything from tunes used and mods installed to any tune related issues.

Last edited:

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I think the Stage 2 tunes are fine with a stock transmission, so long as you respect the limitation of the upper gears (4th). 4th gear is the sweet gear for the highway and takes a lot of abuse. I went beyond that and put the car on a big track for 5 sessions (2hrs). The big track is mostly 4th gear, with 86k miles (mostly tuned). Besides the OEM clutch, everything else has been holding up really well. Just need to solve the tranny issue to make this car more reliable for street/track duty. I don't know what people are doing to trash their transmissions outside of a lot of long highway pulls in 4th gear. It took me quite a bit of time and effort to blow mine up. We'll see if the gear treatments I'm doing will allow the car to play on the big track, and get me back and forth to work. If not, I'll have to buy a POS commuter and save the Civic for track use.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Haha, I bought my Civic as my POS commuter.
With that color in a coupe I would never commit blasphemy to call my Civic a POS anything!! I have an S Works mtb in that awesome color and it has been loyal to me for over 20 years. Love the color and kudos to Honda too.
Sponsored