My Touring After 10k Mile Service

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Hello.

So this last Thursday (March 23rd, 2017) I brought my Touring over to my usual dealership to have it serviced for 10,000 mile mark. I wanted to have an oil change, oil filter change & air filter change (if needed).

After about nearly 2 hours or so of waiting, I was told that my tires needed to be aligned and balanced which I said OK to. 30 more minutes the car was done and everything was ready to go.

At first I didn't notice but as I went on my commute to work later on during that same afternoon, I found the car to be different in character. Now, for some reason (and this isn't placebo effect), the turbo didn't seem to spool / boost. It was harder than normal to get it to 70mph. Not only that, the car felt like it got 'fatter.'

The way I drive my Touring is pretty consistent. I drive with a heavy foot and I like to get it to perform. I can easily keep up with traffic pretty easily on the highways and whenever I need to get that fast acceleration, all I have to do is press the throttle in halfway and the turbo will just do its work (while in D).

Now? I don't know exactly how to describe it. It just feels...very N/A like. Not only that, the audio system seems to have changed somehow. I don't get that same 'feeling' that I usually do listening to it and I've checked all the settings; its all the same. It just doesn't sound as loud or as 'exciting' as it used to.

Has anyone ever experienced something similar before? What could it be? An unchanged oil filter? The service reminder showed the oil was indeed at 100% but the service minder changed from B1 to A (oil) now.

They didn't change my air & cabin filter because they said it was still good and most likely the next oil change is when I'll need to have it changed.

I am running through every scenario in my mind; the most possible is an ECU reset. But why would they reset the ECU for an oil change?

The reason why I'm asking all of this and not heading there directly is; I can't really present a case if I don't even know what the problem is, or even a general idea of the problem. Not only that, I'm a very tight-scheduled person.

Any advice or insights would very much be appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like you have Eco mode on.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
If they disconnected the battery for longer than 30 minutes, your ECU has reset, and is still in "learning mode" as your car has to readapt to your driving style. Although like you said, I've no idea why they'd do that.

Maybe they gave you someone else's car lol

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did they send you away in an LX? :hmm:

teebee288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 hatchback sport, Mazda CX-3 2017, polaris rzr 1000s 2017
Country flag
They maybe did a update on your ecu, sometimes dealer dont even tell to car owners they did it. So when you take your car after an update, the knock control is at 100%, it need to drop below 75% to have the same power. That take some times to drop

Spinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
If they disconnected the battery for longer than 30 minutes, your ECU has reset, and is still in "learning mode" as your car has to readapt to your driving style. Although like you said, I've no idea why they'd do that.

I actually didn't know the CivicX could do this... there's actually software that learns your driving style? Can you talk a bit more about that? I'm intrigued!

OP
OP
Molatte

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you have Eco mode on.
As someone who only uses Eco mode during cold start & bumper to bumper traffic, I'd notice if it was on. But yes, it feels like its on Eco mode before I had it serviced.

Another reason why I don't think they reset my ECU is if they did reset it, shouldn't audio sound settings revert back to their default factory settings? In this case they didn't..all I found was that the Auto headlights were off position & rain sensors were in their least sensitive settings after it was serviced. Oh, they switched the front 2 tires with the back (but this shouldn't affect turbo boost)

Did they send you away in an LX? :hmm:
I liked the instrument panel in LX better than Touring; just saying.

They maybe did a update on your ecu, sometimes dealer dont even tell to car owners they did it. So when you take your car after an update, the knock control is at 100%, it need to drop below 75% to have the same power. That take some times to drop
What knock control?

I actually didn't know the CivicX could do this... there's actually software that learns your driving style? Can you talk a bit more about that? I'm intrigued!
Hard to tell sarcasm through posts but I found yours! lol

check the air in your tires
The tires were a little bit deflated when I first brought it in - so I requested for them to fill it up a bit. If you're trying to imply that maybe they over-filled air to the tires that it causes additional weight, its possible.

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
I think the service manager had gotten sick of a whiny customer complaining about imaginary problems. They got into a shoving match. The customer slipped on some hydraulic fluid.. landed head first on the concrete, and died.

The quick thinking service manager disposed of the body in your trunk ... and now you have reduced performance due to weight, and a less lively stereo as the body has muffled out the natural "loudspeaker enclosure" effect of the trunk.

.... so, just motor on over to the dump and finish the "spring cleaning". Light a cigar and enjoy the drive home.

teebee288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 hatchback sport, Mazda CX-3 2017, polaris rzr 1000s 2017
Country flag
What knock control?
After an update sofware on ecu your ecu need some times to learn the octane in gas tank and adjust ING so your car will be slower for some miles, drive it and it suppose to back to normal after a while.

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
@Molatte,

Kidding aside, ... I think Electronic reset/updates 'could' (not necessarily 'does') explain both your changes. ECU reset/update on the engine performance (as others mentioned) , .. and a infotainment reset/update(?) could have adjusted your SVC (speed sensitive volume control).

I have read on forums where "updates" [meaning update, not stft/ltft reset] ended up kicking the sh't out of performance and fuel economy, and nobody was happy about that. (i.e. BMW 335d). Let's hope we don't end up there (for some reason (i.e. emissions or CVT protection)) with these 1.5t's.

/I have noticed some very infrequent "quirkiness" in the stereo -- it sounded like the bass got driven into "overdrive" but then went back to normal on its own. I remember thinking the quirk seemed source dependent, but I didn't really have time to play around with it.

Last edited: