Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
This morning I went ahead and uploaded the new Phearable 1.5R tune. I've had it for a while but I've hesitated to flash it due to some reports of high knock control from a few users.

The setup

1.5R tune; BBG set to 18 in 1st; AVSA (light)
Gas used: Sunoco 93 Ultra
Ambient temps: 85° and humid

I do a loop of a little over an hour. About 30% city, 70% highway. All testing was done using the 20 psi Map 2.

The test

The first 25 minutes was me basically just taking it easy and looking at some parameters. The last half hour plus I pushed it a bit. I was able to do several aggressive moves, including a 70-110 pull, a number of aggressive highway passing moves and some low speed city lane changes.

I also drive in an area with many, many hills which is a nice test of knock control stability.

My observations

I think my biggest takeaway and surprise was just how stable knock control was. It stayed glued to .49 the ENTIRE test loop drive. Impressive. After the 1+ hour of driving, LTFT was at -2. Again, really impressive.

By the seat of the pants, it felt like the regular 1.5 ... PLUS. It's still just as smooth (maybe smoother) than the regular 1.5 tune. Power-wise there was a touch more pull when I put my foot into it. And the real icing on the cake was not seeing knock control rise artificially at high rpm.

One other surprise. Seeing 42 mpg on the trip computer at the end of the drive.

Conclusion

This is the tune to buy if you have access to quality 93 octane gas (or even quality 91 topped off with a splash of E85). It's smooth as silk, yet potent.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You finally did it!! Good to hear you have good gas and that the tune really proved itself for you. I still love my 1.5R. You have the performance when you need it, and still get amazing MPG when you are cruising.

Edit: A note to my experience. I've finally realized I don't have to floor it anytime I need to get moving, and it's showing in my per gallon MPG. I went from averaging 32mpg or so to getting 35+ on a fill up the last few trips. 1/3rd or even 1/2 throttle in map 3 really gets you moving, without burning a ton of gas apparently. With my old Ktuner tunes and even stock, in order to really get moving you had to basically floor it while going 50+, at least in my experience. Rarely gotta floor it with map 3 1.5R.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Edit: A note to my experience. I've finally realized I don't have to floor it anytime I need to get moving, and it's showing in my per gallon MPG. I went from averaging 32mpg or so to getting 35+ on a fill up the last few trips. 1/3rd or even 1/2 throttle in map 3 really gets you moving, without burning a ton of gas apparently. With my old Ktuner tunes and even stock, in order to really get moving you had to basically floor it while going 50+, at least in my experience. Rarely gotta floor it with map 3 1.5R.
So about that.

I basically never floor it off the line. Just rolling starts. I just don't think that plays well to the CVT or the tires.

The KTuner tunes with early spool and part throttle turbo response maxed out tend to guzzle gas off the line. With Phearable being a bit more linear it seems to just sip the gas below 3,000 rpm.

As far as needing to floor it on the highway, really no need. It's amazing how fast and smooth 100 mph comes up (from say 60 mph) using a little over half throttle.

Case in point. Some jerk is tailgaiting me. I just feather the throttle and I zoom ahead. It's amazing how easily you pick up another 20 mph. Still amazed how fun these cars are tuned.

Last edited:

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So about that.

I basically never floor it off the line. Just rolling starts. I just don't think that plays well to the CVT or the tires.

The KTuner tunes with early spool and part throttle turbo response maxed out tend to guzzle gas off the line. With Phearable being a bit more linear it seems to just sip the gas below 3,000 rpm.

As far as needing to floor it on the highway, really no need. It's amazing how fast and smooth 100 mph comes up (from say 60 mph) using a little over half throttle.

Case in point. Some jerk is tailgaiting me. I just feather the throttle and I zoom ahead. It's amazing how easily you pick up another 20 mph. Still amazed how fun these cars are tuned.
Yeah, I never go over 1/3rd throttle from a stop or from below 30mph. Anymore than that and I'm squealing. If I take a turn too fast with any throttle, I'm squealing. Now, past 40 I see as fair game in terms of flooring it, but I don't even then. Like you said, there's enough power at 1/2 or 3/4 to where flooring it isn't really worth it, plus I feel there's more power at 5k rpm than at 6...

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure what kind of magic tricks JV is using but it's clear my mpgs are improved over the regular 1.5 tune.

I do the same exact commute to and from work. I normally get around 39 mpg going to work and 40 coming home when I take it easy.

Today was a good test too because I hit a bit more traffic than usual. I thought for sure my mileage would be down. Instead, I saw a 3 mpg improvement (42 going to work, 43 coming home). Fantastic.

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not sure what kind of magic tricks JV is using but it's clear my mpgs are improved over the regular 1.5 tune.

I do the same exact commute to and from work. I normally get around 39 mpg going to work and 40 coming home when I take it easy.

Today was a good test too because I hit a bit more traffic than usual. I thought for sure my mileage would be down. Instead, I saw a 3 mpg improvement (42 going to work, 43 coming home). Fantastic.
Absolutely crazy. I don't know what he's done but this tune is simply amazing. It really seems more efficient / optimal than what even Honda themselves put out originally. All while having that extra performance when you want it.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Too bad California has crappy 91 gas. It sounds to me for this tune, 91 is not the minimum anymore. Must be at least 93.
You can successfully run the 1.5R on quality 91 octane with about 1.5 gallons of E85 splashed in per full tank.

Last edited:

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Too bad California has crappy 91 gas. It sounds to me for this tune, 91 is not the minimum anymore. Must be at least 93.
We have 93 here in Mississippi, but where I live the quality of said gas is questionable. Without a splash of e85 in my k.cont rose a bit when I first flashed the tune. E85 levels that knock out for me.

FK7 Civic Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I've had the Phearable tune for around a week, and have been using Costco's 91 octane. So far the Knock Control has been better than expected, with map 1 it pretty much stays at .49, with a high of .56, and with map 2 still stays in the .49 range when I cruise along at 65mph using part throttle, with a high of .65. Haven't tried using map 3 doing hard pulls yet, will probably wait until I can mix in a gallon or so of E85.