My soundproofing and deadening project...

Do you think the road noise is bad on the 10th gens?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spacesloth

Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Haven't seen anyone bashing - I will say that the different trim levels have different levels of sound deadening. The Touring models are downright quiet - hey have alot more of the factory "glue" on type of deadner on the panels, they also have additional sound deadening in multiple locations;) The test models were the touring in alot of areas. I came from a 335i and a 4Runner Limited to the Civic Si, it was Loud as shit to me - after extensive sound deadening and effort mine is just right now. All of trunk, doors, rear seat area are done in Butyl and CCF, I also added some butyl to the firewall. Made it great, will remove front seats and put out my remaning butyl and CCF under them.
Where did you happen to add butyl and ccf to the firewall and rear seat? I did the doors and the trunk, Honda didn’t have any insulation around the rear wheel well on the si like upper models do. Did you happen to take any pictures along the way? And last question, what materials did you use?

Advertisement

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
What did you end up using for butyl and CFF? Did you use any Dynamat-type material as well before hand? How much did you use?

I used Norinco 80mm and CCF I don't recall the brand. I will say I did the entire Trunk with around 25% coverage and noticed nothing with the Butyl, so went back and did around 70% coverage but was still not enough, hence the CCF, which between the two helped immensely! I did the butyl under the rear seat wherever I noticed resonance from hitting with fingers - nothing scientific there in how I did it as alot of it is doubled up sheet metal for structure, could find where there wasnt' structural based metal to add to it. Did not do any of the CCF under the rear seat wasnt' needed.

Firewall the carpet is well backed, but was able to put quite a bit with the Butyl - did not realize how open it is under our seats but noticed not long ago, not even carpet and what is there seems to have lost the backing under the carpet. I expect some additional decrease once i pull the seats and place what is left of my Butyl and CCF under the seats:)

Also I did provide pics in my build thread - don't think i put them all as it's kinda boring to look at. I bought the Butyl from amazon and the CCF from Ebay.

OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used Norinco 80mm and CCF I don't recall the brand. I will say I did the entire Trunk with around 25% coverage and noticed nothing with the Butyl, so went back and did around 70% coverage but was still not enough, hence the CCF, which between the two helped immensely! I did the butyl under the rear seat wherever I noticed resonance from hitting with fingers - nothing scientific there in how I did it as alot of it is doubled up sheet metal for structure, could find where there wasnt' structural based metal to add to it. Did not do any of the CCF under the rear seat wasnt' needed.

Firewall the carpet is well backed, but was able to put quite a bit with the Butyl - did not realize how open it is under our seats but noticed not long ago, not even carpet and what is there seems to have lost the backing under the carpet. I expect some additional decrease once i pull the seats and place what is left of my Butyl and CCF under the seats:)

Also I did provide pics in my build thread - don't think i put them all as it's kinda boring to look at. I bought the Butyl from amazon and the CCF from Ebay.
Yeah, I used the exact same stuff too! Noico 80mm, but I ended up using Rockwool for absorption rather than reflection like you did with the CCF.

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
how did you remove the tunk carpet where the hooks for a car seat go? i cant figure out how without breaking something

ahto42

Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic HB sport navi plus 1.5T, 2011 Nissan X-trail 2.0 diesel
Country flag
I plan to add armaflex mat13mm to the doors and trunk area

F Herrera

Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic x 1.0 hatchback
Country flag
So, the 10th gen Civic's, in my honest opinion, are really great vehicles! However, I think that Honda could have done a better job blocking road noise- thus here I am, and you are too!

I'm making this photo thread to answer any questions or inquiries about sound deadening or proofing your Honda if it peaks your interest; and what it takes! (tearing out your entire interior... and some hair too...

Day 1 & 2- project #1: The Trunk

IMG_20180725_173547.jpg

Day 1 & 2- project #2: The Doors (undocumented)
:dunno:

Day 1 & 2- project #3: The Interior (aka: The Hair Puller)

IMG_20180821_182904.jpg
IMG_20180821_182853.jpg
IMG_20180821_195523.jpg
IMG_20180821_195510.jpg
IMG_20180821_195609.jpg
IMG_20180821_195636.jpg
IMG_20180822_185604.jpg
IMG_20180822_192130.jpg
IMG_20180822_192119.jpg

UPDATE 08/23/2018
Interior Install and final words

IMG_20180823_183157.jpg
IMG_20180823_221807.jpg
IMG_20180823_183207.jpg
IMG_20180823_221807.jpg
IMG_20180823_231311.jpg

Conclusion
All-in-all, was this three-day soundproofing marathon that extracted literal blood, sweat, and tears of frustration from me worth it?
Yes!
Honestly, for me, it kind of has to be. For the amount of time and money that I sunk into this project, it had to yield results, and I am glad that it actually did! A significant audible reduction in noise now (not) heard and my stereo's quality of sound has improved. Now that there are not as many competing frequencies my car's speakers can be heard in all of their OEM glory.

Was is actually a significant reduction? Yes. To my best estimate, it was around a minimum of 12 - 15 dB of total reduction. Now, higher frequencies like wind noise remain, there has been no significant reduction in that range of frequencies, but for lower and mid-range they are faint, still existent (they are not silent), but it feels like a luxury ride.

Now there are some things that I wish I did differently: I wish I took sound measurements before I completed the entire project and at each stage of the journey to see which mini-project had the most impact; I wish that I budgeted my time and resources more effectively, and thank god for Prime One-Day shipping; I wish I bought extra clips because I broke about five of them during the re-install- not the extraction of the interior (surprisingly), but believe it or not, there are ZERO "rattles"; last, I wish I disconnected my battery before accidentally hitting an air-bag sensor and triggering a side curtain airbag to shatter my window and...
Well, not really... the last one didn't happen, but seriously, disconnect your battery cause you never know what the Universe might throw at you...
Moreover, I'm pretty impartial to the project as a whole. Would I do it again? Yes! But, I'd do it smarter and cheaper. Maybe I'd skip the trunk, it didn't really do much to quiet the ride, but again- I didn't take pre-install measurements.

The whole project cost me ~$275

IMG_20180824_113336.jpg

Project related videos:

Impressive job!
Let me make you some questions. I have watched a video of a Chinese team insulating a VW tiguan and they disassembled and insulated the wheels fender and the space between this and the cars body. Did you do something similar?
Disassembling the fender is a hard job for me (new on this) and I would like to know if it's worth it.
Another one.
Anyone knows a video of how to disassemble the trunk carpets?
Mine is an EU hatchback.
Thanks and regards from Spain.

Advertisement

Advertisement