My soundproofing and deadening project...

Do you think the road noise is bad on the 10th gens?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VooDuuChild

Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
100% agree with everything you said! I've been slowly upgrading the sound system with Pioneer speakers (TS Z65CH). Still deciding what I want to put in the back rack. But, I'm in the market for a new head unit, and I love the cheap aftermarket ones like the Phoenix and this new one that just came out (link) & (YoutubeLink). But, people all over the forums say they're sketchy and BS, but most have never actually owned one of those units. However, I recently purchased the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX, the thing was ugly and didn't even fit the mount they included. Honestly, it's 2018 almost 2019 why haven't these companies made aesthetically appealing head units with full Android Auto and Apple Car Play wireless connectivity. Man, this shit boils my blood... If they just merged the tech of the high-end aftermarkets with the "sketchy" screens and design of the off-brand... man... that'd be perfect :headbang:
At least you can replace your head unit. I am stuck adding a stand alone head unit like my Kenwood excelon DNX995S, or keeping it a little more simple and running an android tablet that will handle the music files I have (like 130 gigs of FLAC). I mean, I can understand why they didn't put a CD player in the Si, but damn, not giving me a way to play lossless audio is a slap in the face to an audiophile....especially when you can't even swap out the stock head unit. I will probably go the tablet route and use a nice DSP to get quality sound. If you're on FB, check out "Car Audio DSPs and Tablet Tuners" group. My buddy helps run that group....you can geek out there forever.

Advertisement

OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At least you can replace your head unit. I am stuck adding a stand alone head unit like my Kenwood excelon DNX995S, or keeping it a little more simple and running an android tablet that will handle the music files I have (like 130 gigs of FLAC). I mean, I can understand why they didn't put a CD player in the Si, but damn, not giving me a way to play lossless audio is a slap in the face to an audiophile....especially when you can't even swap out the stock head unit. I will probably go the tablet route and use a nice DSP to get quality sound. If you're on FB, check out "Car Audio DSPs and Tablet Tuners" group. My buddy helps run that group....you can geek out there forever.
They shafted you and...
...FLAC... :love:

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
You have tickled my curiosity and I will attempt a test this weekend at 60 and 80 mph (100km/h and 130 km/h) with my EU Sport Plus Hatch.
Very curious about the results.
Will use the phone, an Iphone 7 Plus with Niosh SLM (Niosh = National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) sound level meter. Talking about the application to use, inside the app they give some examples of sound levels. At 98db we find the noise level of a hand drill, which we all know is loud. That's why I said that 98 db seems a bit exaggerated. In my previous car (Toyota Avensis, a sedan a bit smaller that the Camry you guys have) I was having an average of 61.9dB with a max value of 69.2 at 60mph (100km/h) on winter tyres (Nokian WR A4) and without any measurements I find the noise level in the Civic to be arround the same, maybe a bit worse but not by much.

They also recommend to use the app installed on iPhone, seems they have more sensitive microphones or something like that.
Anyway, will get back with the results.
98db is aboslutely louder than a hand drill. 98 decibels is closer to a FUCKING JACKHAMMER, or putting your head very close to a gasoline lawnmower, or a jet engine taking off at 300 meters. I dont think you realize how loud 98 decibels is. 98 decibels is like if you took off your muffler and put your head near your exhaust pipe dude. I wouldnt trust a DB meter on your phone, especially not a calibrated one. I promise you 100% you need an acutal expensive sound meter (around 100$ or more not-from-amazon-cause-theyre-knockoffs) to get an accurate reading, and they need to be calibrated. Above 85db, you usually need to raise your voice to hold a conversation and will cause hearing damage over 8 hours exposure.

I'm an audio engineer if that provides any weight. Your car 100% isnt giving off that kinda sound pressure level I promise you haha. It might be loud, but not that loud c:

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
I have Si, it comes with less sound deadening than most as I have verified against my neighbors EX-T, and touring has more than all others. I used phone app for testing, think i have some pics somewhere, and yes it was ridiculously loud, came from a BMW 335i and a 4Runner, my wifes Jeep Wrangler Unlimited was quieter than my car at 80mph when she had her hard top on, almost pissed me off enough to take it back...

Found a pic, only one I have is after the sound deadening was added to my car showing 81 db's.

IMG_0842.JPG
See my above post, quoted the wrong guy, but an interesting writeup on why your car absolutely didnt make 98 decibels peak sound pressure level

Axatax

Banned
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Car(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Hey dude, I'm thanking you in each post in this thread.

These are literally the only pics I've found of a naked coupe interior and I needed this data to plan for a different project. This is tremendous data.

OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey dude, I'm thanking you in each post in this thread.

These are literally the only pics I've found of a naked coupe interior and I needed this data to plan for a different project. This is tremendous data.
Glad I could help!

What's the project, if you don't mind?

Axatax

Banned
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
Glad I could help!

What's the project, if you don't mind?
I'm a ham operator and I'm doing an HF/VHF/UHF mobile radio install. It's very similar to installing an amp, with some additional considerations for antennas and grounding.

Your pics really help me plan this out.

Axatax

Banned
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
I also appreciate the work and planning you've put into this and the *craftsmanship* you've displayed in this DIY. This post is a sterling example of how something like this should be approached, executed and documented. There's too many hacks out there and this isn't one of them.

OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm a ham operator and I'm doing an HF/VHF/UHF mobile radio install. It's very similar to installing an amp, with some additional considerations for antennas and grounding.

Your pics really help me plan this out.
Cool, best of luck!

Glad I could help another person out, that's what the thread is here for.

Last edited:

integra15

Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I applaud your efforts! However I think the Civic overall is a pretty quiet car to begin with. I am the type of person who might have done this when I was younger but I have since realized to accept some imperfections. I could kill off an additional 3-6db in noise then get obsessed in making it better and better in an endless cycle.

I'm pretty happy that I have eliminated squeaks and rattles in my civic and will live that way and enjoy the ride.

Have you seen the 2019 Civic has some noise eliminating wheel inserts? I found those very interesting. Wonder how much they really help.

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
98db is aboslutely louder than a hand drill. 98 decibels is closer to a FUCKING JACKHAMMER, or putting your head very close to a gasoline lawnmower, or a jet engine taking off at 300 meters. I dont think you realize how loud 98 decibels is. 98 decibels is like if you took off your muffler and put your head near your exhaust pipe dude. I wouldnt trust a DB meter on your phone, especially not a calibrated one. I promise you 100% you need an acutal expensive sound meter (around 100$ or more not-from-amazon-cause-theyre-knockoffs) to get an accurate reading, and they need to be calibrated. Above 85db, you usually need to raise your voice to hold a conversation and will cause hearing damage over 8 hours exposure.

I'm an audio engineer if that provides any weight. Your car 100% isnt giving off that kinda sound pressure level I promise you haha. It might be loud, but not that loud c:
Saw you quoted the wrong guy and you were addressing it to me... I absolutely saw 98 dbs peak in my car as had the stereo blasting prior to doing the measurements. As for phone being perfect - nope - but it works for what a I want. A direct comparison with identical conditions in same stretch of road. 81 is definite improvement over what i had saw prior. That’s great your an audio engineer, I’m an engineer as well, I’m also an MBA and finishing up a second masters in Cybersecurity. Reading and writing on a forum requires none of those, it’s just makes our budgets and opinions stronger and more educateD, beyond that, I could say I was an astronaut as I have worked in the Space program for over 15 years including launching hundreds of rockets and the shuttle.

integra15

Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Don't know why some people are trashing the Civic as being a loud car from the factory. When it was released it was universally praised in the media and online automobile bloggers as being flat out the most refined, quietest compact car ever.

You of course can make it better, but you can,t compare it to upscale models, etc. Those cost thousands more and of course some of that goes to making them quieter (and heavier).

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
Don't know why some people are trashing the Civic as being a loud car from the factory. When it was released it was universally praised in the media and online automobile bloggers as being flat out the most refined, quietest compact car ever.

You of course can make it better, but you can,t compare it to upscale models, etc. Those cost thousands more and of course some of that goes to making them quieter (and heavier).
Haven't seen anyone bashing - I will say that the different trim levels have different levels of sound deadening. The Touring models are downright quiet - hey have alot more of the factory "glue" on type of deadner on the panels, they also have additional sound deadening in multiple locations;) The test models were the touring in alot of areas. I came from a 335i and a 4Runner Limited to the Civic Si, it was Loud as shit to me - after extensive sound deadening and effort mine is just right now. All of trunk, doors, rear seat area are done in Butyl and CCF, I also added some butyl to the firewall. Made it great, will remove front seats and put out my remaning butyl and CCF under them.

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
Saw you quoted the wrong guy and you were addressing it to me... I absolutely saw 98 dbs peak in my car as had the stereo blasting prior to doing the measurements. As for phone being perfect - nope - but it works for what a I want. A direct comparison with identical conditions in same stretch of road. 81 is definite improvement over what i had saw prior. That’s great your an audio engineer, I’m an engineer as well, I’m also an MBA and finishing up a second masters in Cybersecurity. Reading and writing on a forum requires none of those, it’s just makes our budgets and opinions stronger and more educateD, beyond that, I could say I was an astronaut as I have worked in the Space program for over 15 years including launching hundreds of rockets and the shuttle.
The note on me being an audio engineer has nothing to do with literally any of what you said. Like come on dude, you think I'm saying "trust me I'm an engineer" to inflate my ego or something? The point of me stating that I'm an audio engineer is to provide assurance that, in regards to the things I said, I have industry experience relating to sound pressure levels, testing those levels accurately and interpreting results. That I have experience to back up my statement rather than just typing on a forum for the sake of it, as you say.

And as for your result of 98db, I wasn't even talking about you. This isn't a thread about blasting music, this is a thread about sound damping a civic. The "I call bullshit" note was directed towards the other poster who claimed 98db in their civic just from road noise. Like come on dude

Last edited:

NHCivicGuy

Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
Haven't seen anyone bashing - I will say that the different trim levels have different levels of sound deadening. The Touring models are downright quiet - hey have alot more of the factory "glue" on type of deadner on the panels, they also have additional sound deadening in multiple locations;) The test models were the touring in alot of areas. I came from a 335i and a 4Runner Limited to the Civic Si, it was Loud as shit to me - after extensive sound deadening and effort mine is just right now. All of trunk, doors, rear seat area are done in Butyl and CCF, I also added some butyl to the firewall. Made it great, will remove front seats and put out my remaning butyl and CCF under them.
What did you end up using for butyl and CFF? Did you use any Dynamat-type material as well before hand? How much did you use?

Advertisement

Advertisement