My soundproofing and deadening project...

Do you think the road noise is bad on the 10th gens?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

civic1907

First Name
adi
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Turbo Hatchback 2017
Country flag
Looking good! I like how the red aluminium matches your vehicle.
I guest I’m lucky. ha haa
that red STP is popular here ,
and that is one of I can afford, of course
and because of it weight and easier to install, even by bare hand, at my own garage
not much options on that range

Advertisement

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man, just stumbling into this thread. You guys are all doing what I keep wanting to do, but haven't been able to yet. If you want to keep progressing on your car, I suggest not buying a 100 year old house lol.

My plan has always been to add density to the outer skins, make the doors air-tight, 100% coverage of the interior with MLV, and pack any voids with HPM. One day.... one day.

OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man, just stumbling into this thread. You guys are all doing what I keep wanting to do, but haven't been able to yet. If you want to keep progressing on your car, I suggest not buying a 100 year old house lol.

My plan has always been to add density to the outer skins, make the doors air-tight, 100% coverage of the interior with MLV, and pack any voids with HPM. One day.... one day.
I hope that you do! It's such a luxurious ride now. It's got some weight, doesn't feel like plastic in the wind- and the ride is smoother too. Gonna need at least a solid weeks worth of work to complete.

Cdw1008

First Name
Craig
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 vti-LX hatchback
Country flag
all that wasn't necessary. I just bought rubber weatherstripping at home depot and put it all around the outer perimiter of the doors, and under the edge of the hood, on the sides, where there's a large gap between the underside of the edge of the hood and the car body. Worked perfect. My car is 2 1/2 years old and the engine still looks like brand new. No dirt on it.
Can you post some pics please?

myke

Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Never really noticed the road noise, so I guess I am all done with mine... ?!

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Never really noticed the road noise, so I guess I am all done with mine... ?!
My previous car a Corolla was more noisy.
On first trips to me, my Civic ( with better tires ) are quiet . Now after 15K miles, I wish Civic could be better

civicdota

Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
How do you remove the B-pillar inside trim (where the seat belt is attached to) on the Sedans?

xgen_turbo

First Name
T/Rutt
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, the 10th gen Civic's, in my honest opinion, are really great vehicles! However, I think that Honda could have done a better job blocking road noise- thus here I am, and you are too!

I'm making this photo thread to answer any questions or inquiries about sound deadening or proofing your Honda if it peaks your interest; and what it takes! (tearing out your entire interior... and some hair too...

Day 1 & 2- project #1: The Trunk

IMG_20180725_173547.jpg

Day 1 & 2- project #2: The Doors (undocumented)
:dunno:

Day 1 & 2- project #3: The Interior (aka: The Hair Puller)

IMG_20180821_182904.jpg
IMG_20180821_182853.jpg
IMG_20180821_195523.jpg
IMG_20180821_195510.jpg
IMG_20180821_195609.jpg
IMG_20180821_195636.jpg
IMG_20180822_185604.jpg
IMG_20180822_192130.jpg
IMG_20180822_192119.jpg

UPDATE 08/23/2018
Interior Install and final words

IMG_20180823_183157.jpg
IMG_20180823_221807.jpg
IMG_20180823_183207.jpg
IMG_20180823_221807.jpg
IMG_20180823_231311.jpg

Conclusion
All-in-all, was this three-day soundproofing marathon that extracted literal blood, sweat, and tears of frustration from me worth it?
Yes!
Honestly, for me, it kind of has to be. For the amount of time and money that I sunk into this project, it had to yield results, and I am glad that it actually did! A significant audible reduction in noise now (not) heard and my stereo's quality of sound has improved. Now that there are not as many competing frequencies my car's speakers can be heard in all of their OEM glory.

Was is actually a significant reduction? Yes. To my best estimate, it was around a minimum of 12 - 15 dB of total reduction. Now, higher frequencies like wind noise remain, there has been no significant reduction in that range of frequencies, but for lower and mid-range they are faint, still existent (they are not silent), but it feels like a luxury ride.

Now there are some things that I wish I did differently: I wish I took sound measurements before I completed the entire project and at each stage of the journey to see which mini-project had the most impact; I wish that I budgeted my time and resources more effectively, and thank god for Prime One-Day shipping; I wish I bought extra clips because I broke about five of them during the re-install- not the extraction of the interior (surprisingly), but believe it or not, there are ZERO "rattles"; last, I wish I disconnected my battery before accidentally hitting and air-bag sensor and triggering the side curtain airbag which shattered my window and ruined my headliner-
the last one was a joke, but seriously, disconnect your battery cause you never know what the Universe might throw at you...
Moreover, I'm pretty impartial to the project as a whole. Would I do it again? Yes! But, I'd do it smarter and cheaper. Maybe I'd skip the trunk, it didn't really do much to quiet the ride, but again- I didn't take pre-install measurements.

The whole project cost me ~$275

IMG_20180824_113336.jpg

Project related videos:

Did you use anything for the headliner/sunroof area? A lot of cars have an annoying buzzing/rattling while driving down the road, my damn sedan does

OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How do you remove the B-pillar inside trim (where the seat belt is attached to) on the Sedans?
For a sedan I'm not quite sure, however; for the coupe (the processes are most likely very similar) it comes off with the c-pillar. The screw in the "hanger hook" (that is in the c-pillar removal video) does NOT directly thread into the b-pillar cover, but there is a clip on the end of the c-pillar cover that hooks into the b-pillar cover. There were no screws just plastic clips. So remove the "hanger hook" screw (you do NOT need to remove the whole c-pillar cover, find one corner of the b-pillar, and start prying.
You are going to want to remove the seat-belt as well from the bottom of the inner door frame. There is a little plastic/rubber cover that just pries right off. Underneath the cover will be a 15mm bolt (I believe, don't quote me).

Best of luck!

OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you use anything for the headliner/sunroof area? A lot of cars have an annoying buzzing/rattling while driving down the road, my damn sedan does
I decided not to as the headliner is very delicate and I don't have any problems with my roof generating noise.

VooDuuChild

Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
This is awesome. Some people will never understand the need to reduce as much outside noise on the interior if you truly care about a good sounding system. I put $8,000 into my system in my Commander. You did a great job from the looks of it. As for losing weight, there aren't too many "easy" ways. Yes, the wheels are heavy, but it is also unsprung weight, so you will feel that more in the acceleration and possibly braking, and I highly recommend going with lighter wheels. Tire choice will also reduce sound inside the cabin. For shell weight, you're very limited to what you can do. Finding a quieter exhaust that is lighter will be tough cheaply. You're pretty much just stuck with the extra weight I think. Just enjoy the quiet ride! I just wish I could swap out the stock head unit in my 2018 Si. I am literally considering a custom installed head unit, but will probably just go with an integration unit and DSP to help with the limited tuning of the stock unit...but that is a thread for elsewhere haha.

civicdabest-foo

Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Amazing.

You took the front passenger seat off obviously to get to the stuff underneath it.

I'd love to see instructions on how to take out the front passenger seat out as I never drive with any passengers and could use a little extra cargo space.

Same for the rear seats actually.

OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is awesome. Some people will never understand the need to reduce as much outside noise on the interior if you truly care about a good sounding system. I put $8,000 into my system in my Commander. You did a great job from the looks of it. As for losing weight, there aren't too many "easy" ways. Yes, the wheels are heavy, but it is also unsprung weight, so you will feel that more in the acceleration and possibly braking, and I highly recommend going with lighter wheels. Tire choice will also reduce sound inside the cabin. For shell weight, you're very limited to what you can do. Finding a quieter exhaust that is lighter will be tough cheaply. You're pretty much just stuck with the extra weight I think. Just enjoy the quiet ride! I just wish I could swap out the stock head unit in my 2018 Si. I am literally considering a custom installed head unit, but will probably just go with an integration unit and DSP to help with the limited tuning of the stock unit...but that is a thread for elsewhere haha.
100% agree with everything you said! I've been slowly upgrading the sound system with Pioneer speakers (TS Z65CH). Still deciding what I want to put in the back rack. But, I'm in the market for a new head unit, and I love the cheap aftermarket ones like the Phoenix and this new one that just came out (link) & (YoutubeLink). But, people all over the forums say they're sketchy and BS, but most have never actually owned one of those units. However, I recently purchased the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX, the thing was ugly and didn't even fit the mount they included. Honestly, it's 2018 almost 2019 why haven't these companies made aesthetically appealing head units with full Android Auto and Apple Car Play wireless connectivity. Man, this shit boils my blood... If they just merged the tech of the high-end aftermarkets with the "sketchy" screens and design of the off-brand... man... that'd be perfect :headbang:

Last edited:
OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Amazing.

You took the front passenger seat off obviously to get to the stuff underneath it.

I'd love to see instructions on how to take out the front passenger seat out as I never drive with any passengers and could use a little extra cargo space.

Same for the rear seats actually.
Might make a video for ya, stay tuned...

Advertisement

Advertisement