My soundproofing and deadening project...

Do you think the road noise is bad on the 10th gens?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You have tickled my curiosity and I will attempt a test this weekend at 60 and 80 mph (100km/h and 130 km/h) with my EU Sport Plus Hatch.
Very curious about the results.
Will use the phone, an Iphone 7 Plus with Niosh SLM (Niosh = National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) sound level meter. Talking about the application to use, inside the app they give some examples of sound levels. At 98db we find the noise level of a hand drill, which we all know is loud. That's why I said that 98 db seems a bit exaggerated. In my previous car (Toyota Avensis, a sedan a bit smaller that the Camry you guys have) I was having an average of 61.9dB with a max value of 69.2 at 60mph (100km/h) on winter tyres (Nokian WR A4) and without any measurements I find the noise level in the Civic to be arround the same, maybe a bit worse but not by much.

They also recommend to use the app installed on iPhone, seems they have more sensitive microphones or something like that.
Anyway, will get back with the results.

Advertisement

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
That's really good news about the significant drop in db's with the Norinco and CCF. As for the undercarriage coating, what are you thinking of using? I'm wondering how much additional weight will you add with the Norinco, CCF, and the coating?
I think the name is zeibart, I actually did a bit under the drivers side with rubberized undercoating, but I didn't TSP and prep it properly so it will litterally just wipe off... I can get the professional undercoating done for under 200 local, saw several adds on craigslist and then looked with my wifes Angie's list and two of them are rated extremely high! For that price I WILL be doing it! They remove all the plugs underneath as well and spray then put the plugs back in which with my OCD for my car that's a requirment lol.

averagetrackdriver

Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
I think the name is zeibart, I actually did a bit under the drivers side with rubberized undercoating, but I didn't TSP and prep it properly so it will litterally just wipe off... I can get the professional undercoating done for under 200 local, saw several adds on craigslist and then looked with my wifes Angie's list and two of them are rated extremely high! For that price I WILL be doing it! They remove all the plugs underneath as well and spray then put the plugs back in which with my OCD for my car that's a requirment lol.
I can understand why you would do the rubberized undercoating. Sure, for the sound deadening, and living in FL as well. My aunt and uncle live in Jacksonville, and their cars always had rust issues. They have undercoated their cars for years, and they say it helped with the rust issues.

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Zeibart is really popular up in NW where I used to live. Most apps are for rust prevention. I did the undercoating and engine bay coating to prevent rust back in the day and they did a pretty good job. As far as sound deadening from Zeibart, this is my 1st time knowing about it. Any additional reviews?

Space Lord

Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Looks great. I did something similar last winter with some Soundskins MLV and LLP. I also got better tires and it brought the road noise down from 78ish db to 63ish @ 80mph. Considering I had a '00 Civic before the road noise wasn't bad but I wanted to see how quiet I could get it. Biggest difference were the tires. I already had the doors, rear deck and trunk completely dynamatted for my audio system. Makes a world of difference
20171230_175614.jpg

20171230_164658.jpg

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was vacuuming my car today and decided to take a look under the little plastic piece located on de floor, near the sil on the passenger side. I found the VIN stamped into the floor and..sound deadening, quite a lot of it. Then I started looking under the dash on both sides and saw more. You can see it in the pics below, its about 2 inches thick. Out of curiosity, the ones that removed the carpet for to do the sound insulation, is this what you found also?
0B45BB4A-2CBE-443B-AEC3-92C4E238FF18.jpeg
055AD926-9FE1-458D-85E8-871A445B8879.jpeg
F2D906DF-E107-4868-AEAD-2653FD2A6BD9.jpeg

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
I was vacuuming my car today and decided to take a look under the little plastic piece located on de floor, near the sil on the passenger side. I found the VIN stamped into the floor and..sound deadening, quite a lot of it. Then I started looking under the dash on both sides and saw more. You can see it in the pics below, its about 2 inches thick. Out of curiosity, the ones that removed the carpet for to do the sound insulation, is this what you found also?
0B45BB4A-2CBE-443B-AEC3-92C4E238FF18.jpeg
055AD926-9FE1-458D-85E8-871A445B8879.jpeg
F2D906DF-E107-4868-AEAD-2653FD2A6BD9.jpeg
I did that’s why I haven’t worried about the floor to much, but found out recently all under the front seats there is nothing! So will be removing front seats and carpet and using the rear of my norinco and ccf that I have left over

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
It seems we get a little better insulation in china:

My car became a lot quieter after spraying the bottom with chassis armour.

mmexport1535028880418.jpg
That is exactly what I was thinking, I could never have the patience to dismantle my entire interior, but I could see myself applying chassis armour. And yes I think the Civic is way too noisy. I told Honda I would have gladly paid for a "Quiet" option even if it reduced my gas mileage.

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I am considering replacing the carpeting with an upgraded material that has a dense rubber foam backing. I really hate the carpeting in my Civic.
check this out, comments?

OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks great. I did something similar last winter with some Soundskins MLV and LLP. I also got better tires and it brought the road noise down from 78ish db to 63ish @ 80mph. Considering I had a '00 Civic before the road noise wasn't bad but I wanted to see how quiet I could get it. Biggest difference were the tires. I already had the doors, rear deck and trunk completely dynamatted for my audio system. Makes a world of difference
20171230_175614.jpg

20171230_164658.jpg
Oh, it really does! I especially notice that the bass hits harder and more frequencies are revealed that are drowned out by the road noise.

OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am considering replacing the carpeting with an upgraded material that has a dense rubber foam backing. I really hate the carpeting in my Civic.
check this out, comments?
Interesting never heard of this. Cool service!

Ionnaeus

First Name
Jon
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic LX Hatchback
The noise level in my car is perfectly ok, you can have a decent conversation even at 190km/h without raising your voice. Yes, there is some tyre noise on rough / abrasive asphalt (but on the other hand the Michelin Primacy 3 235/45R17 are tyres on the noisy side at 72dB vs 67-68) but other than that, no real engine noise, wind noise, traffic noise, etc.
This is what I see, er hear, as well. With an approximate 100 mile round trip daily commute, I cross many different types of surfaces - I-75, city streets, etc. The only bad noise i get is on rough asphalt on certain stretches of road.

My wife's CRV had horrendous noise in the cabin by comparison. My 2018 civic is a Buddhist monestary compared to it.

Captaindicki

Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Man, you have talent! You should have a career as a rocket builder, or something like it. I wouldn’t consider anything like this for my civic, but impressive job nonetheless!

Advertisement

Advertisement