My soundproofing and deadening project...

Do you think the road noise is bad on the 10th gens?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, the 10th gen Civic's, in my honest opinion, are really great vehicles! However, I think that Honda could have done a better job blocking road noise- thus here I am, and you are too!

I'm making this photo thread to answer any questions or inquiries about sound deadening or proofing your Honda if it peaks your interest; and what it takes! (tearing out your entire interior... and some hair too...

Day 1 & 2- project #1: The Trunk

IMG_20180725_173547.jpg

Day 1 & 2- project #2: The Doors (undocumented)
:dunno:

Day 1 & 2- project #3: The Interior (aka: The Hair Puller)

IMG_20180821_182904.jpg
IMG_20180821_182853.jpg
IMG_20180821_195523.jpg
IMG_20180821_195510.jpg
IMG_20180821_195609.jpg
IMG_20180821_195636.jpg
IMG_20180822_185604.jpg
IMG_20180822_192130.jpg
IMG_20180822_192119.jpg

UPDATE 08/23/2018
Interior Install and final words

IMG_20180823_183157.jpg
IMG_20180823_221807.jpg
IMG_20180823_183207.jpg
IMG_20180823_221807.jpg
IMG_20180823_231311.jpg

Conclusion
All-in-all, was this three-day soundproofing marathon that extracted literal blood, sweat, and tears of frustration from me worth it?
Yes!
Honestly, for me, it kind of has to be. For the amount of time and money that I sunk into this project, it had to yield results, and I am glad that it actually did! A significant audible reduction in noise now (not) heard and my stereo's quality of sound has improved. Now that there are not as many competing frequencies my car's speakers can be heard in all of their OEM glory.

Was is actually a significant reduction? Yes. To my best estimate, it was around a minimum of 12 - 15 dB of total reduction. Now, higher frequencies like wind noise remain, there has been no significant reduction in that range of frequencies, but for lower and mid-range they are faint, still existent (they are not silent), but it feels like a luxury ride.

Now there are some things that I wish I did differently: I wish I took sound measurements before I completed the entire project and at each stage of the journey to see which mini-project had the most impact; I wish that I budgeted my time and resources more effectively, and thank god for Prime One-Day shipping; I wish I bought extra clips because I broke about five of them during the re-install- not the extraction of the interior (surprisingly), but believe it or not, there are ZERO "rattles"; last, I wish I disconnected my battery before accidentally hitting an air-bag sensor and triggering a side curtain airbag to shatter my window and...
Well, not really... the last one didn't happen, but seriously, disconnect your battery cause you never know what the Universe might throw at you...
Moreover, I'm pretty impartial to the project as a whole. Would I do it again? Yes! But, I'd do it smarter and cheaper. Maybe I'd skip the trunk, it didn't really do much to quiet the ride, but again- I didn't take pre-install measurements.

The whole project cost me ~$275

IMG_20180824_113336.jpg

Project related videos:

Advertisement

Last edited:

David Harper

Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
all that wasn't necessary. I just bought rubber weatherstripping at home depot and put it all around the outer perimiter of the doors, and under the edge of the hood, on the sides, where there's a large gap between the underside of the edge of the hood and the car body. Worked perfect. My car is 2 1/2 years old and the engine still looks like brand new. No dirt on it.

richsua

Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic EX-T 2016 (White)
Wow awesome job my dude. You're probably the first to have these in photos. Will give everyone in the community a big help! Thanks for what you just did. Hopefully others will follow, and if we get lucky, maybe even a video!

OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
all that wasn't necessary. I just bought rubber weatherstripping at home depot and put it all around the outer perimiter of the doors, and under the edge of the hood, on the sides, where there's a large gap between the underside of the edge of the hood and the car body. Worked perfect. My car is 2 1/2 years old and the engine still looks like brand new. No dirt on it.
I hear ya, but weatherstripping ain't gonna remove vibrations from the road that transfer into the car's body. The material I am using is designed to absorb vibrations from surfaces (metallic and some other materials). Cars are sealed airtight these days, the only way that sound enters vehicles is 1.) through the glass, and 2.) through the actual frame and body. This rubber absorbs sound energy and vibrations- as a byproduct creating minimal heat energy.

I'll be sure to let y'all know if it was really worth it- if it actually makes a change and significant reduction in external noise.

OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Jesus Christ you literally pulled that car apart...I doubt many people here would be willing to go to these lengths, so props to you, my dude.
It's a great way to get to know the car and what actually makes it work. Also, that battery better be disconnected! The last thing you want it to hit one of the airbag sensors and your curtains to pop right in your face.

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
More power to you, man. I don't know if I want to do this since the plastic pieces will never be the same after taken apart and my OCD will continue hearing rattle sounds while driving lol
Maybe you should have measured the sound decibel before and after to see whether or not this project works the way it intends to be.

Reactions: jms
OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
More power to you, man. I don't know if I want to do this since the plastic pieces will never be the same after taken apart and my OCD will continue hearing rattle sounds while driving lol
Maybe you should have measured the sound decibel before and after to see whether or not this project works the way it intends to be.
Oh god, I hope they don't rattle... that'll piss me off. I did this to quiet the car not make it rattle at every seam. I'll let ya know what happens... -_-

OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow awesome job my dude. You're probably the first to have these in photos. Will give everyone in the community a big help! Thanks for what you just did. Hopefully others will follow, and if we get lucky, maybe even a video!
Videos uploaded and more on the way: see the main thread!

Siqc Cafe

Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 2000 Celica GT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good Job man. I had stripped my old 2000 Celica interior to the bone like this back in the day, dash board too. This project i was painting the interior. You are correct tho
it is a good way to get to know your car. Few weeks ago i added dynomat to the floor (yep still have the car...lol)

I might do this to the Civic too, after your results. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

OP
DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

First Name
Tyler
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
idk about y'all, but compared to my former 02 Accord daily and my 88 Mazda, this new civic is really quite quiet
I think when you compare it to a car built 16 years ago there's going to be advancements in the quality of the ride, however; when you compare it to like cars or higher end cars of today, it is obviously lacking.
Is it really that bad? No! But, there is certainly room for improvement!

CivicChina

Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It seems we get a little better insulation in china:

My car became a lot quieter after spraying the bottom with chassis armour.

mmexport1535028880418.jpg

joecin

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Civic Touring-'18 Acura RDX Advance
Nice!
No road noise.
However, you may have interior rattles and squeaks after you put everything back now which you may hear more when done but very nice job...

markc72

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L w/NAVI
Country flag
You must have a lot of time to waste. Not sure why you would go through all of this??

Reactions: jms

Advertisement

Advertisement