My Si needs race pads. What's good?

thebook92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 95 FZR600
Country flag
I just got home from a weekend at Gingerman Raceway with my Si, in which I completely melted a set of front Powerstop Track Day pads. Before I continue, let me make clear that it was NOT a defect in the pads; I just used 'em way harder than I expected to (front rotor temps after a good cooldown lap and parking in the pits were consistently over 700F, so they had to have been COOKING out on track). I'll get a set of OEM pads for normal street driving, but obviously it's time for a set of dedicated track pads. This is my first foray into the track brake world; what even exists for our chassis, let alone works well? I'm not interested in going to a BBK, I just want a set of brake pads that I can switch in as part of my track day prep, beat the living hell out of on the track, and put back in the box for the next event.
Sponsored

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Porterfield has R4 track pads. I had them on my Stoptech front bbk on my 350z and never faded them on my track days.

st4xor

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Front pads for the stock Si are still pretty limited right now. Best bet (as suggested above) sounds like something from Carbotech. I would check out KNS they have almost all of the available options listed on their page. I emailed with Ken a couple weeks back (super responsive of you use the "contact us") about a track day coming up in Sept. and he mentioned that Hawk may have an HP+ compound available "in a couple months", but that is still more street focused. Ken suggested Carbotech would probably be the best option for fronts (good to grow in to even for a first-time HPDE-er):

https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/5572_2017+Honda+Civic+Si+-+Sedan

Rear pads have lots more options because the caliper is the same on all civics (including Type R).

Question though, what is your level of experience? Well seasoned? First car on the track? Asking to help gauge my own track pad purchase later this year ?

OP
OP
thebook92

thebook92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 95 FZR600
Country flag
About all I can find listed online is from Carbotech. I found that they recommend turning/replacing the rotors before installing their pads though, which would be a bit of a drag.

Porterfield has R4 track pads. I had them on my Stoptech front bbk on my 350z and never faded them on my track days.
Is there a part number available for these? I couldn't find them listed on their website.

Question though, what is your level of experience? Well seasoned? First car on the track? Asking to help gauge my own track pad purchase later this year ?
15 or so days on track total, but this was the first with the Si. I normally run intermediate HPDE, but the next time I think I'll bump up to Advanced.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
OP, for the carbo techs, maybe buy a set of good rotors(stop tech makes really good ones) and swap them at the same time as your pads. It will only take an extra 5 seconds to do and you don't have to worry about a bouncy pedal if you do warp your rotors on the track.
Sponsored