My severe anxiety is making me dislike driving my car

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Zeffy, you used a good word, “fixated”. When I saw the picture of your heart rate I was thinking of something.

Not to get political but paraphrasing what Trump said, if you have more testing, you have more covid cases, so slow down the testing. A lot of times an elder that has A BP cuff can be good and bad. Sometimes they check so much that they get anxious and it raises their blood pressure. Try not to focus so much on how you are feeling. I’ve learned to tune out how I feel. I know my situation is different than yours but just an example. I used to have a lot of nausea, vomiting and vertigo issues and just generally felt crappy after having treatment for my thyroid cancer. If I focused on how I felt I would felt pretty horrible. When I learned to focus on other things and also other people’s issues I didn't realize how crappy I felt. Just an idea.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Zeffy, you used a good word, “fixated”. When I saw the picture of your heart rate I was thinking of something.

Not to get political but paraphrasing what Trump said, if you have more testing, you have more covid cases, so slow down the testing. A lot of times an elder that has A BP cuff can be good and bad. Sometimes they check so much that they get anxious and it raises their blood pressure. Try not to focus so much on how you are feeling. I’ve learned to tune out how I feel. I know my situation is different than yours but just an example. I used to have a lot of nausea, vomiting and vertigo issues and just generally felt crappy after having treatment for my thyroid cancer. If I focused on how I felt I would felt pretty horrible. When I learned to focus on other things and also other people’s issues I didn't realize how crappy I felt. Just an idea.
I have a huge fixation problem right now. During my many panic attacks and anxiety attacks my body has become so sensitive to any and everything that's off. It's very difficult to ignore right now. Like right now, I feel queasy and dizzy, it's really hard for me to just flat out ignore it.

So, what I'm saying is that even though your anxiety have been severe, the chart you are showing doesn't show absolutely anything of the sort. It's normal from beginning to end. But I guess someone already told you this.
You're probably right; but from the best of my memory the dates that correspond with the higher heart rates are the ones I believe I had panic attacks on or was an 8-9 on the anxiety scale (with 10 being full out panic mode). I dunno, sometimes just believing things are getting better helps my brain with coping.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I dunno, sometimes just believing things are getting better helps my brain with coping.
The power of the mind is massive. Dan Ariely's book 'Predictably Irrational' covers just how huge placebo is on people. And I mean 30-40% big. I too can obsess on a lack of quick enough progress and then it just makes things worse.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
Thanks, Charles. I have found being alone with my negative thoughts is absolute hell. If my mind is fixated on them it's like they are on repeat. Thankfully my dad and the rest of my family has been great at listening and helping me vent those thoughts outs. Same with my doctor who helped dispel some of my health fears.
Those thoughts on repeat! yes, i know that one. They love to show up at like 2am when i should be sleeping. That is also the time i recount every embarrassing thing that took place in the past 10 years.

That is one thing the Happiness Trap book helped me to figure out. How to work out those negative or even just downright invasive thoughts that are like ear worms. Part of it was to take those thoughts and turn them into a really stupid song.

Think of the old pepto commercial and just do that to those negative thoughts.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
I have a huge fixation problem right now. During my many panic attacks and anxiety attacks my body has become so sensitive to any and everything that's off. It's very difficult to ignore right now. Like right now, I feel queasy and dizzy, it's really hard for me to just flat out ignore it.

You're probably right; but from the best of my memory the dates that correspond with the higher heart rates are the ones I believe I had panic attacks on or was an 8-9 on the anxiety scale (with 10 being full out panic mode). I dunno, sometimes just believing things are getting better helps my brain with coping.
I have a Garmin smart watch.. And every so often it actually tells me " you seem stressed, calm down". I honestly dont know if it helps or not. in most cases, i am not having a panic attack and if anything i am just either really keyed into something or i was sitting on my ass all day and decided to get up and walk 10 feet and my watch thinks i am dieing.

If anything, it does make me realize that i am probably not really breathing, or i have my knees locked.

balistek

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
what meds have you been on /tried in past. any 1st line relative ( parents/siblings) with anxiety/depression? do they take meds? how long have your been on lexapro. What dose of xanax, what is your frequency of use. Do you use illicts drugs on the side? Are you in formal psychotherapy? Are you sleeping/eating.

Lexapro is a good medication. Tolerability profile is good. Cheap. only 2 doses. At 4-6 week intervals between dose changes. Thats a good thing. I'd wager a PCP gave these meds; especially if you are naive to medications. If your having anxiety and you don't know why. Look into counseling.
antidepressants and counseling are first line choices. xanax out the gate is questionable.

Don't listen to the naysayers that say antidepressants f with your brain. there are risks; absolutely. But there is a enormously large body of evidence showing benefits exceed risks. Welcome to pharmacology; no matter the organ system; brain, heart, kidneys, lungs--- every medicine is risk vs benefit. Speak to a Mental health professional. PCP's can be dumb dumbs in this area.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
what meds have you been on /tried in past. any 1st line relative ( parents/siblings) with anxiety/depression? do they take meds? how long have your been on lexapro. What dose of xanax, what is your frequency of use. Do you use illicts drugs on the side? Are you in formal psychotherapy? Are you sleeping/eating.

Lexapro is a good medication. Tolerability profile is good. Cheap. only 2 doses. At 4-6 week intervals between dose changes. Thats a good thing. I'd wager a PCP gave these meds; especially if you are naive to medications. If your having anxiety and you don't know why. Look into counseling.
antidepressants and counseling are first line choices. xanax out the gate is questionable.

Don't listen to the naysayers that say antidepressants f with your brain. there are risks; absolutely. But there is a enormously large body of evidence showing benefits exceed risks. Welcome to pharmacology; no matter the organ system; brain, heart, kidneys, lungs--- every medicine is risk vs benefit. Speak to a Mental health professional. PCP's can be dumb dumbs in this area.
But "benefits exceed risks" is very flexible. Which reminds me of one notable example.

Just a quizz: "X may cause a condition that affects the heart rhythm (QT prolongation). QT prolongation can rarely cause serious (rarely fatal) fast/irregular heartbeat and other symptoms (such as severe dizziness, fainting) that need medical attention right away. "

What is X? Answer : either Lexapro or the politically and currently so famous Hydroxychloroquine. Somehow for the identical potential side effect/precaution, only the latter is considered to be deadly dangerous :doh: by certain crooked experts and organizations exploiting the fact that most people are "naive to medications."

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All my sisters and mother have depression, anxiety, or all three. Don’t think any have panic disorder though. One is on lexapro the others are on sertraline or Zoloft. I’ve been on lex since last Tuesday with a half dose until Wednesday where I went to the 10mg full dose. Xanax is .5 mg as needed, I’ve only used it twice so far. I don’t use illicit drugs and I’m eating decently. Sleeping has been rough the last two nights with me waking up in the middle of the night and failing to fall back asleep. I’m scheduled to begin cognitive behavioral therapy next Wednesday

balistek

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
But "benefits exceed risks" is very flexible. Which reminds me of one notable example.

Just a quizz: "X may cause a condition that affects the heart rhythm (QT prolongation). QT prolongation can rarely cause serious (rarely fatal) fast/irregular heartbeat and other symptoms (such as severe dizziness, fainting) that need medical attention right away. "

What is X? Answer : either Lexapro or the politically and currently so famous Hydroxychloroquine. Somehow for the identical potential side effect/precaution, only the latter is considered to be deadly dangerous :doh: by certain crooked experts and organizations exploiting the fact that most people are "naive to medications."
this right here. It’s what’s wrong. google searches and generalizations.

i appreciate the intention. i encourage people educating themselves, but sometimes this can be a problem. QT prolongation. Your looking hard for a reason not to use it. What are the "potential consequences of untreated depression/anxiety?" Do you really think the statistical likelihood of QT prolongation is the same with Lexapro as is hydroxycholoroquine? Two completely different molecular structures, different mechanisms of action, different pharmacokinetic properties, etc.... I admit that finding that data would be difficult. In fact SSRIs are way way way more likely to cause hyponatremia. Its why standard of practice states we monitor for it. Heck it can knock your platelets out too. SO the risk for hyponatremia is far more signficant. I acutally had a woman with hyponatremia. SHe is also on lexapro albiet a higher dose; NA-129. We are running some tests. Likely SIADH instead of SSRI induced. I bring it up because I did some reading during that case. Its the first case I ran into clinically. I found a study, I believe I recall back in 2016 or 2018, i don't remember, but there were only 18 documented cases of severe life threatenting hyponatremia with the specific use of lexapro over 20 years. Guess what the common denominator of all those clients were-- old age. I bet that was contributory. My point is QT prolongation is very rare. Its clinically irresponsible to withhold SSRI treatment (1st line treatment) for depression/anxiety secondary to the potential risk of QT prolongation.

But.. untreated depression/anxiety-- Suicide, abuse/neglect, self-medicating with drugs (drug addiction), significant reduction in quality of life soically, professionally. We could prolly dig some of those numbers up fairly easily. I'll bet you 5 dollars its higher for the latter. Risk of suicide from untreated depression/anxiety is far more likely than QT prolongation. Heres the kicker-- all qt prolongation is not fatal. All suicides are fatal. But at the end of day; its your role of the dice.
Thats why i encouraged him to speak to a medical professional and be evaluated. Its why you go to your DOCTOR....... its called clinical judgement. SO much more valuable than a google search.

Risk vs benefit is not flexible. its based on evidence based data. So i don't get that statement. I mean no hostility. It just irks me. mental illness is difficult to treat. Stigma, misinformation, minimization ( Oh, Joey, just snap out of it. Quit being depressed.) That mindset you presented, many people share it. It leads to people not being treated and bad things happen to good people for no logical reason. Google searches only get you so far.

Ron

balistek

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
All my sisters and mother have depression, anxiety, or all three. Don’t think any have panic disorder though. One is on lexapro the others are on sertraline or Zoloft. I’ve been on lex since last Tuesday with a half dose until Wednesday where I went to the 10mg full dose. Xanax is .5 mg as needed, I’ve only used it twice so far. I don’t use illicit drugs and I’m eating decently. Sleeping has been rough the last two nights with me waking up in the middle of the night and failing to fall back asleep. I’m scheduled to begin cognitive behavioral therapy next Wednesday
glad to hear you are starting counseling. CBT summed up in 1 idea. Thoughts turn into emotions, emotions to behaviors. Much easier to manage a thought instead of an emotion or behavior. Learning to re-frame your thoughts before they turn into emotions and associated behaviors Better outcomes for you. He or she will help you with that. All the best. I'd encourage your seek a psychiatrist. Just for a thorough evaluation if you haven't already. Tell him about your family history of mental illness--- its important. Be patient with yourself. Don't be ashamed, and lean on your support system. All the best.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Google searches only get you so far.
I don't think you fully got my point. That's the point exactly - science comes only from published peer-reviewed papers and absolutely nowhere else. If you don't have a reference, you have nothing. Where is the specific data that differentiates the risk between the above mentioned two drugs, meaning references to literature? Fake experts and posers think they can sculpt the naive public as they wish and sell one drug to millions based on vague indications, and claim another is too dangerous, while there is no evidence supporting such decisions except business.

Prodigy71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav 4 , GTI
Country flag

You cannot compare drugs like that just because it have similar side effects. In all my years of practice, SSRI usually doesn't cause QT prolongation unless it has a DDI or dose dependent. (eg. citalopram with nexium or dose over 40mg/day). Hydroxychloroquine on the other hand, can induce qt prolongation (without other drugs or dose dependent) which is why these are not the same risks. Risk vs benefits is based on scientific facts and analyzing the conditions. Taking the chances with side effects of SSRI vs having depression/anxiety/panic attacks. Best thing to do is follow up with your provider and don't google anything.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You cannot compare drugs like that just because it have similar side effects. In all my years of practice, SSRI usually doesn't cause QT prolongation unless it has a DDI or dose dependent. (eg. citalopram with nexium or dose over 40mg/day). Hydroxychloroquine on the other hand, can induce qt prolongation (without other drugs or dose dependent) which is why these are not the same risks. Risk vs benefits is based on scientific facts and analyzing the conditions. Taking the chances with side effects of SSRI vs having depression/anxiety/panic attacks. Best thing to do is follow up with your provider and don't google anything.
References, references please. That's just posing and talking. References to quantifications of that risk in both. Not just eye brows.....

Prodigy71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav 4 , GTI
Country flag

balistek

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I don't think you fully got my point. That's the point exactly - science comes only from published peer-reviewed papers and absolutely nowhere else. If you don't have a reference, you have nothing. Where is the specific data that differentiates the risk between the above mentioned two drugs, meaning references to literature? Fake experts and posers think they can sculpt the naive public as they wish and sell one drug to millions based on vague indications, and claim another is too dangerous, while there is no evidence supporting such decisions except business.
How long have we , as people, been producing "published peer-reviewed papers". The national research act of 1974 established the formation of institutional review boards (IRBs). Your statement "science comes only from published peer-reviewed papers and absolutely nowhere else. makes me ask; Science didnt take place prior to 1974? Dont tell Robert Oppenheimer that; I think he'd "blow up" with anger after hearing that considering his work in 1945.I find it odd that you don't trust an expert "because their fake" ; but a panel of experts. Now.. that's different a story. You do realize the panel of peers are comprised of experts in that particular field based on subject matter. They are considered impartial and analyze the validity of the presented material. How come they " the panel experts" are not fake and liars too? So 1 expert is bad. But more than one is good. In your opinion, how many experts does it take to over-ride the "fakeness" and validate something? I'm partial to 7. It sounds good and prevents a tied scenario. Lucky #7. They submit their ballots in the box. Within that box my friends, is where the science comes from.

You see, Sir Issac Newton, well he didn't have IRBs, .....probably not a whole lot of publishers back then either. Newton, determined as ever, told his children about an afternoon under an apple tree one day, and well it was passed down from generation to generation. As time went by, Granny Smith, Newton's great great great grand daughter, thought it would be a hoot to submit his claim to a local IRB in 1975 on the way to church one day. After an extensive review from the peer panel comprised of Moe Larry and Curly, well.. that my friends is how the scientific discovery of gravity occurred. Sorry I went off topic. I was watching a biography about Newton on PBS the other weekend and when I heard that story.... I mean how can you forget a story about that. Thank goodness Newtons descendants were such great story tellers. Hell i'd still be dumbfounded about what happen when I dropped my pen the other day if they weren't.. And to commemorate Granny Smiths due diligence; they ended up naming an apple after her. Its a feel good story all around. Heart-warming really. Love that PBS

Sarcasm aside;

Im not saying I'm an expert. I am board certified and have 1000s of hours treating and prescribing for mental health patients. I think thats worth something. Maybe I'm wrong. I kinda want my money back from that accreditation board if its not. Well darn, you know what. They prolly have a board of experts that created the board exam. Your right.... what was I thinking. Those darn liars.

You also keep using the word naive in your posts after I initially commented "naive to medications." You do realize that comment means; has never been on other similar meds. Example. CLient is naive to psychotrophics. Start client on SSRI. SSRI is first line treatment. It kinda makes sense if you have a medical background. It has absolutely nothing to do with a representation of a client's experience or fund of knowledge. I thought i'd clarify so you can stop with the stupid use of naive in your posts.
Sponsored

Last edited: