nnosez

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX
Country flag
I have Honda Civic 2017 and I had to replace the passenger side tail light. I got the part and replaced it myself as the instruction.

The problem I'm having is tail light is really loose on the right side. Screws are only on the left sides. I see that there are two spike looking ones fitting into the two holes but they are easily lifted as they are not fitted tight. When I took out the original part out, it was held strongly but not with the replacement part. I even tried putting back the original part but still loose and I am not sure if I can drive around like this. I attached some pictures here for reference.

Please if anyone can advise how I can fix this, It'd be really appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Honda Civic 10th gen My replacement tail light is loose KakaoTalk_20200505_091754741

Honda Civic 10th gen My replacement tail light is loose KakaoTalk_20200505_091754741_01

Honda Civic 10th gen My replacement tail light is loose KakaoTalk_20200505_091754741_02

Honda Civic 10th gen My replacement tail light is loose KakaoTalk_20200505_091754741_03

OP
OP

nnosez

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX
Country flag
Hey,
Thanks for the reply. I still see the plastic part (im guessing a female retainer) on the car body. I am not sure if that is it or if I am really missing grommets like you said.

Do you know if I can buy that part around the store somewhere in california? I can find that part online. Anyways that's really helpful. Cheers

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Hey,
Thanks for the reply. I still see the plastic part (im guessing a female retainer) on the car body. I am not sure if that is it or if I am really missing grommets like you said.

Do you know if I can buy that part around the store somewhere in california? I can find that part online. Anyways that's really helpful. Cheers
I'm sure you can buy at any Honda dealer or you can order on line. The price ($1.22) for item 17 in my picture is CDN, it should be cheaper in California.

Good luck

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Just wondering, is the replacement part a Honda part? Some aftermarket parts don’t fit as well. But I understand that the old taillight doesn’t fit well either at this point. Was the car in an accident so you replaced the lense? Any possibility the body is bent a little?

so just looking at the pics on the left side of the taillight there are two screws and assumably those two white pins go into the two grommets on the body? I think you said the two grommets in the car are still there?

I assume the two body grommets are not broken when the old taillight was removed. That could be part of the problem

First try pushing on the taillight to see if the pins will clip into the grommet. Make sure the pins on the new and old part are the same.

Something I notice is that the two white pins on the taillight look like they have a hex at the base? Are they adjustable? Maybe they need to be spun out a little to reach the grommets?

Another thing you can do is to take out the white pins on the back of the taillight and see if it clips into the grommets on the body. If they don’t then the grommets May be broken and need to be replaced.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I think you need to push really hard on the area that's loose to snap the "clips" into place.

McDavid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
I know its old topic but im having same issue with one of the grommets after installing lights, causing tail light to be loose enough that it causes a rattle.

Any idea what the best way to remove the grommets would be.

Thanks
Sponsored