My radio/display is broken already? (No sound issue for civic touring)

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
Have you reported back to them yet? Wondering if a new amp is the next step.
Yes. I called them and notify them but fed up going to see dealer again and again for some issues. So going to take the car when next oil change is due which would be probably in a month. Yes but i think amp replacement would be the next step.
Sponsored

Khellendrose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
Finally got the car back this week. My wife was in Florida with it and had an injury, so after surgery and 2 weeks of recovery I flew down and drove the car back. The audio worked perfect every time after the 16-001 fix. NO issues at all with anything related to the audio system, before the patch it rarely worked. The only real issue I had is the GPS seems to take a long time to "find" where I am, often the GPS shows me driving through fields, the ocean and other places before it eventually "finds" the right road and then I'm good to go. My wife used it after the patch was applied (to get to Florida) and the GPS showed her in the atlantic ocean most of the time. She gave up on teh GPS and used apple car play which worked great. The next day the GPS seemed fine. Not related but I really liked the ACC and Lane Keeping, pretty amazing technology.
I had the same GPS issue, they replace the GPS antenna and the problem was much better. It usually located self within 1 to 2 minutes or less now verses 10 to 30 minutes. But be careful because my dealership scratched up some of my dash trim and took a chip out of the head unit. Needless to say they replaced everything and they paid for it

LBug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
This has happened to me three times now in the two weeks I've had the car. I should note I didn't use remote start either time and I haven't ever hooked my Android phone to the car. I simply turned the car on, turned the fm radio on and nada. I tried restarting the car, and the radio and every button I could think of. I'm pretty tech savvy so I'm pretty sure there's a glitch in the system that needs to be addressed. I will be calling the dealer and any customer support numbers in this thread .

javaman123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I have a 2016 Civic Touring that has also suffered from the no-audio problem on startup. I got the 16-001 software update which seemed to reduce the frequency that I experienced the no audio problem, but did not solve the issue completely. Since the 16-001 update, I've started to notice a potential pattern that might point to a cause. I have not experienced the problem when I unlock the car (either from the remote or the driver's side door handle), entered the car, and started it. However, if I unlock the car and instead open one of the rear doors and allow the key fob to enter the interior of the car briefly, before shutting the rear doors and entering the front door I experience the issue. It has also happened when I walked very close to the front passenger door with the key fob on my way to put something in the trunk. My theory is that it is somehow related to the proximity zones around and inside of the car that recognize the key fob and are used for auto door unlock as well as the push button ignition. In my experience, it seems that the issue occurs when the key fob enters one of the proximity zones, then leaves the zone (either by closing a rear door after putting something in the back seat or walking past one of the exterior zones on either side of the car), and then entering the driver’s side zone before starting the car. As to why this could cause an issue where the audio fails to initialize, my only guess would be that when the key fob enters one of the proximity zones, the car begins initializing various components including the audio amplifier in preparation for car startup. Perhaps when the key fob leaves one of the zones, the car starts to shutdown these systems but is then interrupted when the key fob reenters a proximity zone, thus causing an initialization error. Once the error occurs, the system has to reset itself which could explain why it takes 8-10 minutes after the car is shut off before audio initialization is successful again.

Anyone able to corroborate my theory?

Greg I

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I have a 2016 Civic Touring that has also suffered from the no-audio problem on startup. I got the 16-001 software update which seemed to reduce the frequency that I experienced the no audio problem, but did not solve the issue completely. Since the 16-001 update, I've started to notice a potential pattern that might point to a cause. I have not experienced the problem when I unlock the car (either from the remote or the driver's side door handle), entered the car, and started it. However, if I unlock the car and instead open one of the rear doors and allow the key fob to enter the interior of the car briefly, before shutting the rear doors and entering the front door I experience the issue. It has also happened when I walked very close to the front passenger door with the key fob on my way to put something in the trunk. My theory is that it is somehow related to the proximity zones around and inside of the car that recognize the key fob and are used for auto door unlock as well as the push button ignition. In my experience, it seems that the issue occurs when the key fob enters one of the proximity zones, then leaves the zone (either by closing a rear door after putting something in the back seat or walking past one of the exterior zones on either side of the car), and then entering the driver’s side zone before starting the car. As to why this could cause an issue where the audio fails to initialize, my only guess would be that when the key fob enters one of the proximity zones, the car begins initializing various components including the audio amplifier in preparation for car startup. Perhaps when the key fob leaves one of the zones, the car starts to shutdown these systems but is then interrupted when the key fob reenters a proximity zone, thus causing an initialization error. Once the error occurs, the system has to reset itself which could explain why it takes 8-10 minutes after the car is shut off before audio initialization is successful again.

Anyone able to corroborate my theory?
Theory makes sense- car thinks you're outside the car and doesn't allow audio on yet (like when you remote start).

I can say I had this issue every 4th start on average for a month then got 16-001 update and have not had any issues now for 2 months so it was a 100% fix for me. Maybe try a different dealer?

LBug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Theory makes sense- car thinks you're outside the car and doesn't allow audio on yet (like when you remote start).

I can say I had this issue every 4th start on average for a month then got 16-001 update and have not had any issues now for 2 months so it was a 100% fix for me. Maybe try a different dealer?
What did your dealer do to fix it? Sorry if you've already posted previously. I'll call the dealer to have mine fixed, too. Glad to hear it's no longer an issue for you.

TG Terry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring X2
My wife and I purchased two new 2016 Civic Touring cars. Unfortunately her car is the one experiencing an issue. I guess everyone knows what happens when moms not happy, "no one's happy."

The problem in her Civic escalated creating a major distraction for us while driving. In fact, we thought it was going to become necessary to park the car, over continuous radio error beeps/screen changing.

Short History of the Problem:

The first error was just a failure of the unit to find its XM radio signal [Check Tuner -- Message Displayed]. The dealer at first said Honda would replace the unit, and then rejected that plan over a future software update coming sometime in the future.

A subsequent reboot talk through on the cell phone five days later seemed to fix the problem for two short drives, then the problems multiplied becoming a major driving distraction [continuous beeping, menu changes, and no way to turn the unit off w/o pulling over, turning off the car/restart, then reboot only to return to the same problem]. A complete reset, unit reboot, and car shutdown w/restart failed to fix the issues.

The next day the dealer said I could pull the unit fuse [or they would do it for me] to stop the continuous repetition of beeps/errors. The following day the unit worked, but then, it went out again on the same day [w/o the beeps this time]. As of 3/26/2016, display is going wild once again and beeping continuously w/o stopping, and it still may be necessary.

After reading 19 pages on the "Honda Civic Touring" Forum concerning the radio, sound, navigation, car and vehicle settings, the unit on this car is probably beyond repair [software or hardware], and the problems we have are more complicated and driver distracting than the ones mentioned by other Honda owners.

At this point I'm not very optimistic that a future software update will fix the unit problems, but there's satisfaction in knowing that I can pull the fuse to end the distracted driving when/if the problem comes back, provided this does not create safety issues for the car.

We have never had a major problem with a Honda car until now.

Waiting patiently for Honda.

Update

As of 7/29/2016 we have a working infotainment system in one of our two cars. In the end it required a touch screen replacement to correct the issues, software updates did not work. Hopefully the issues are corrected [permanently] for the blue civic.

The infotainment system went wild last weekend in our white civic once again. We thought the software update 16-022 may have corrected the issues. I guess it'll go back to the dealer when we have time.

Last edited:

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
Didn't want to wait any longer for the software fix to be released in Canada. Dealer replaced my amp yesterday. Easy peasy. New amp, with current software. The biggest difference, other than the fact that the no audio issue has gone away, is that the radio comes on as soon as I start the car. Before, it would take up to 20 seconds for the audio to come on. Don't know why I waited so long!
Hi,
do you know where exactly the amp is placed in car? My dealer told me its just behind the touch screen and comes as a whole unit screen and amp...thanks

toyman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 element, 2016 civic touring
Country flag
Hi,
do you know where exactly the amp is placed in car? My dealer told me its just behind the touch screen and comes as a whole unit screen and amp...thanks
thats wrong, its in the passenger side kick panel

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Hi,
True for all BUT Touring. @toyman70 got it right for Touring.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hi,
Sorry I'm not sure but it looks like we got the answer above.

Everything is working great, I'm in no hurry to get the next software update (I have an update pending, my version is not current).

TG Terry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought the 2016 Touring 2 days ago. Exact same issues. Service Manager and Dealer Manager personally worked the issue and finally told me that it was a software issue that Honda USA is aware of and working and is ONLY affecting some Tourings not all. They said replacing the amp and power head would not fix it. They offered to actually take the car back and replace with another touring but why bother, issue may be in that one, I'll trust they fix it. I'm glad to see that others are having the issue so there is a fleet wide problem to fix. It is frustrating and annoying but I see no common cause (remote versus not remote start, etc). It is a bug, and they need to fix it...quickly.
Check with your dealer on Service Bulletin 16-022 May 5, 2016. The software update didn't solve our issues in our two Civic Touring cars. Good luck.

TG Terry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought the 2016 Touring 2 days ago. Exact same issues. Service Manager and Dealer Manager personally worked the issue and finally told me that it was a software issue that Honda USA is aware of and working and is ONLY affecting some Tourings not all. They said replacing the amp and power head would not fix it. They offered to actually take the car back and replace with another touring but why bother, issue may be in that one, I'll trust they fix it. I'm glad to see that others are having the issue so there is a fleet wide problem to fix. It is frustrating and annoying but I see no common cause (remote versus not remote start, etc). It is a bug, and they need to fix it...quickly.
Check with your dealer on Service Bulletin 16-022 May 5, 2016. The software update didn't solve our issues in our two Civic Touring cars. Good luck.

TG Terry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just called HONDA USA. They have no update. Frustrating. I don't think the AMP is the solution. Are there any TOURING models NOT having this issue?

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
Just got my head unit and amp replaced even after the new software update.... The service advisor told me that there is a new bulltein on how to fix the issue if persist after the software update....
Sponsored