My radio/display is broken already? (No sound issue for civic touring)

theevanshow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Prius, 2016 Civic Touring
Yep, this worked for me too.

Let the car sit for an hour, or disconnect the battery for 10. Then, do NOT use remote engine start ever again if you want audio (pending a recall or software update). Sad!
Sponsored

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Yep, this worked for me too.

Let the car sit for an hour, or disconnect the battery for 10. Then, do NOT use remote engine start ever again if you want audio (pending a recall or software update). Sad!
Should call Hondas in car support line, and take it to the dealer anyway.
Don't just accept that they gave you a broken product.

toyman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 element, 2016 civic touring
Country flag
well, the wife just went to start it (button push) and the radio did not come on, so my theory of the remote start disabling it is moot.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
(888) 528-7876

I had a nice calm chat with them about all the issues I've been having.
Who knows where it will go but he said he'd make note and put me on hold to pass things to his supervisor.

But he gave a little bit of a nod that they are starting to see these calls come in.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Should call Hondas in car support line, and take it to the dealer anyway.
Don't just accept that they gave you a broken product.
What he said. From almost three years of experience with a 2012 Ford Focus with MyFordTouch, it's clear to me that the manufacturers will only pretend to try to get these bugs resolved if the owners are in mass revolt and coming after them with pitchforks and torches. They have to feel pain, and a lot of it, or it will just be "working as designed".

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But he gave a little bit of a nod that they are starting to see these calls come in.
Support line code for thousands of irate callers a day. I only ever had Ford acknowledge one issue as "a known issue" despite literally hundreds of threads on the Internet detailing others calling in many of the same issues. Support Line Rule # 1: NEVER acknowledge existence of a problem you don't yet have a fix for.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Support line code for thousands of irate callers a day. I only ever had Ford acknowledge one issue as "a known issue" despite literally hundreds of threads on the Internet detailing others calling in many of the same issues. Support Line Rule # 1: NEVER acknowledge existence of a problem you don't yet have a fix for.
I did tech support for years and deal with not very tech savvy people everyday no so there wasn't any need rake him over the coals.
I gave him a list of all the problems I'd seen and asked him to document them and pass them on.
But he's just the messenger from their end, no need to shoot him.
Even if there was a patch in the works he wouldn't be able to tell you when because those dates get pushed out all the time.
Corporations move at a glacial pace even when things are going well.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But he's just the messenger from their end, no need to shoot him.
Understand totally and agree. But the translation from tech-support-line-speak might help others. As you well know, they are logging each of these calls and developing metrics, etc., on the problems, correlating them with open issues, etc. That's what "pass along to supervisor" means…

theevanshow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Prius, 2016 Civic Touring
Followup 1: I got back in the car at 11:00 AM and audio was back on.

Got back in after work, audio had died again.

Called dealership. Took video of what I'd tried, forwarded it to the service manager. Don't expect to hear from them until Friday due to the Holiday.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It seems visiting the dealer is ineffective after they close the sale.
It's usually highly effective if your complaint is about a defective part, say a torn weatherstrip, that they can replace with a non-defective part, or a mis-assembled part, say something loose or, sometimes, something misaligned. If your problem is a design/enginering issue, like a firmware problem, there is nothing they can do unless Honda has told them how to resolve it via a TSB or similar. They can't re-engineer the car.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Maybe people don't realize this, but the Honda dealer is pretty much treated the same by Honda Corporate as the actual customers are. So, the dealers also have limited recourse on technical issues, they call up Honda and get the same story as a customer would. The dealer doesn't usually know anymore than a customer would, and certainly less than a customer who is an active car forum member.

heath3990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
It may just be an issue with your specific systems. I have had no trouble with mine so far. And I did all the things being said here to cause the issue. I will post an update if anything changes.
Sponsored