Magmafk7

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic sport 2018 MT
Country flag
I changed my oil at 50% life yesterday. I’ve been adding some power and want it to be reliable so changing the oil more frequently I thought was a great idea. I thought I’d capture some in a cup so that I could investigate my engine the best I could. No metal. But. Pitch black. And honestly the strongest fuel smell I’ve ever smelt in my life. Since then I’ve driven it much softer and laid off the boost. Is there any mod I can do to stop this? I’m very worried but I know it’s slightly common in these cars. Any advice would be great. This car can not blow up. (2018 Honda civic sport MT. Prl race maf cobra CAI-Phearbale tune. Around 235 HP and 275 tq) thanks.
Sponsored

Zedaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How long is your average drive? It does take about 15 minutes for these cars to get up to operating tempature. Short drives, especially in cold weather aren't good for these cars. What oil are you using? A good quality oil will also protect and resist shearing from fuel dilution. I'm running Amsoil SS 5w30 and after about 5000 miles its viscocity has sheaered down to 5w20 levels. I am contemplating running 0w40 during warm months because of this.

OP
OP

Magmafk7

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic sport 2018 MT
Country flag
How long is your average drive? It does take about 15 minutes for these cars to get up to operating tempature. Short drives, especially in cold weather aren't good for these cars. What oil are you using? A good quality oil will also protect and resist shearing from fuel dilution. I'm running Amsoil SS 5w30 and after about 5000 miles its viscocity has sheaered down to 5w20 levels. I am contemplating running 0w40 during warm months because of this.
0w-20 full synthetic premium valvoline. Drives are about 20 mins to school and back every day. 5 mins to work. 15 to gym. So rarely ever more than 30 mins.

Zedaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
0w-20 full synthetic premium valvoline. Drives are about 20 mins to school and back every day. 5 mins to work. 15 to gym. So rarely ever more than 30 mins.
20 minute drives are good. Next time you do an oil change you can always collect a sample and send it to Blackstone labs and see if your viscocity and TBN (total base number) are still good. Stepping up to a 30 weight oil like 0w30 would allow you to keep a slightly higher viscocity if your oil is shearing from fuel dilution.

Last edited:

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Driving the car hard (once everything is in operating temps of course) is good for burning the excess fuel in the oil. Oil fuel dilution is caused because you are taking short drives where you are not getting the oil up to temperatures high enough to evaporate the fuel so it accumulates over time. Like he mentioned a 0w-30 or 5w-30 is nice to have if it gets diluted and thins out you’ll be in oem spec of a 20 weight. I run 40/45% ethanol which is acidic and thins out oil faster. I use Amsoil SS 5w-30 and get my oil lab tested. By the time the oil change comes around roughly 6,000 miles it is at a 20 weight also, but me personally seeing how the car operates on a 20 weight I don’t see a need to go thicker than a 30. Unless I’m trying to do extended drain intervals, which I’d never do anyways.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
15 mins to get to operating temperature? Usually takes about 5-7 mins for my temp gauge to go to middle then I assume I'm good. 15 mins is asking too much from me.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
15 mins to get to operating temperature? Usually takes about 5-7 mins for my temp gauge to go to middle then I assume I'm good. 15 mins is asking too much from me.
once that happens your coolant is up to temp but your oil still isn't.

I agree with everyone above, I've been running amsoil OE 5W30 since the first oil change and change at 10-12k km(about 50% oil life in dash). Even with long drives there is still a fuel smell every time. That's the downfall to direct injected engines unfortunately.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
once that happens your coolant is up to temp but your oil still isn't.

I agree with everyone above, I've been running amsoil OE 5W30 since the first oil change and change at 10-12k km(about 50% oil life in dash). Even with long drives there is still a fuel smell every time. That's the downfall to direct injected engines unfortunately.
Ah yea oil temp forgot about that... Don't even think theirs a gauge for that on Si. I'll make sure to keep babying it to my 5 min work drive and only push it on longer drives.

Reactions: AVR

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
There isn't even on the tuners I think. Once your water is at temp I don't think there's a major difference in wear tbh but if I want to push hard I'll just wait that much longer, for just a few quick bursts it shouldn't affect anything much.

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2019 sedan, non-Si
Country flag
Driving the car hard (once everything is in operating temps of course) is good for burning the excess fuel in the oil. Oil fuel dilution is caused because you are taking short drives where you are not getting the oil up to temperatures high enough to evaporate the fuel so it accumulates over time. Like he mentioned a 0w-30 or 5w-30 is nice to have if it gets diluted and thins out you’ll be in oem spec of a 20 weight. I run 40/45% ethanol which is acidic and thins out oil faster. I use Amsoil SS 5w-30 and get my oil lab tested. By the time the oil change comes around roughly 6,000 miles it is at a 20 weight also, but me personally seeing how the car operates on a 20 weight I don’t see a need to go thicker than a 30. Unless I’m trying to do extended drain intervals, which I’d never do anyways.
I'm also having the same thing with super smelly oil everytime but I've never heard that driving long distances or hard, will reduce the amount of gas within the oil. I'm actually sceptical cause I changed my 6months old oil in October after a hot summer with lots of trips over 100km at a time and you could say "that's gas" if you smelled the oil with your eyes closed! Are you sure that gas gets out of the oil with any way whatsoever? Can anyone else confirm that?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm also having the same thing with super smelly oil everytime but I've never heard that driving long distances or hard, will reduce the amount of gas within the oil. I'm actually sceptical cause I changed my 6months old oil in October after a hot summer with lots of trips over 100km at a time and you could say "that's gas" if you smelled the oil with your eyes closed! Are you sure that gas gets out of the oil with any way whatsoever? Can anyone else confirm that?
My oil will always smell like fuel, but smelling and lab test results are 2 different things. Here are my last oil analysis results. Mind you I run Amsoil SS 5w-30 with 40-45% ethanol every tank full up so my oil thins out faster than regular fuel. Is there fuel present? Yes, but it’s a direct injection car there is bound to be fuel it’s just a matter of how much..

Honda Civic 10th gen My oil is fuel. B82CD872-D6F3-4C16-A71D-C97FEB78F819

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But I should clarify driving hard will not burn ALL of the fuel but it mitigates excessive fuel if you only drive short trips. Meaning a person driving short trips and not getting the oil hot enough to burn some of the excess fuel will have higher fuel% in their oil than someone who drives short trips but beats there car when they can

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2019 sedan, non-Si
Country flag
But I should clarify driving hard will not burn ALL of the fuel but it mitigates excessive fuel if you only drive short trips. Meaning a person driving short trips and not getting the oil hot enough to burn some of the excess fuel will have higher fuel% in their oil than someone who drives short trips but beats there car when they can
Thanks for the quick reply. I am aware of all these about direct engines, cold climates, short trips etc. What was news to me in your initial post is that driving in high oil temperatures (like when sport driving) will reduce the amount of gasoline that ALREADY got into your oil, during for example previous short runs. So is that for sure? Does driving for a long time and/or high oil temperatures gets the gasoline that's in your oil to burn, thus reducing it in a way we would call noticeable?

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
not necessarily burn but evaporate what can evaporate, yes.

Reactions: AVR

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I decided to try out Motul 8100 Eco-lite 0w-20. I got a good deal over BF. I like Motul products. Been using their 5.1 brake fluid for a while now. I doubt using a different oil will change the fuel smell. I did notice a light fuel smell in my oil since owning my car which seems normal from my understanding before I did the oil change. I check my oil once a month as part of my monthly health check up. Tire pressure, engine bay inspection and cleaning. I will check for the fuel smell in a month. I just got the oil change couple days ago. I get my oil changes done more frequently anyway because of my driving lifestyle. I do mine every 4-5k miles which is about 6-8 months for me. I do a ton of city and stop and go driving and short trips. So I'm trying to stay ahead of the game. I also make sure the oil is warmed up before I decide to push it. Usually 15-20mins of normal driving.
Sponsored