OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Your oil analysis is showing at 3500 miles. If that's what it's at then, there's no way you have any oil dilution shortly after an oil change. You over filled your oil a bit, and you're miss "smelling" your oil. It's fine. It's a DI engine. Move on with life and keep an eye on it.

that oil sample was at 3500 miles or 30% on my MM. I didn't do oil analysis this time because it was not at 3500 miles or near 30%. I only changed it because i noticed the level was high and strong gasoline smell.
Sponsored

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
that oil sample was at 3500 miles or 30% on my MM. I didn't do oil analysis this time because it was not at 3500 miles or near 30%. I only changed it because i noticed the level was high and strong gasoline smell.
You can’t go by just smell alone. You’re literally smelling something that is in an engine that burns gas. You need more to go on to say it’s %100 gas in the oil, like an oil Analysis. As many people have stated, unless your engine is super effed, you’re not gonna raise the oil level by 1cm shortly after an oil change. By all means get it checked out by the dealer, but I really doubt they're going to find something unless something is really wrong with your engine. Good luck!

Shawn2shawn

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Should be checked when it’s cold. Let it sit over night check in the morning before starting the car. That’s when all the oil is sitting in the pan. When you check when the cars at operating temperature the oil is going to be low because oil has been circulating in the engine and is still sitting in its components making its way down to the pan. That’s usually how people over fill their oil. Think it’s low (while you check at operating temperatures) so you top it off and now you are overfilled. If it’s to the point where the crankshaft is able to reach it when the engine is on then you have it agitating the oil as it spins and you end up with oil foam. I’ve seen some diesels have a hot and cold oil level check, but most cars don’t lol. Trans fluid on the other hand is checked at operating temperature unless the dip stick has a cold level check on the dipstick
Um what now?

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
So guy asks question. Mechanical engineer tells him its not a problem. Guy ignores engineer and shows detailed sample taken showing engine is within spec. Guy still thinks he has oil dilution. Another guy thinks taking oil level should be done when engine is cool.(wrong) Always check oil levels once engine reaches minimum operating temperature.

Oil expands. If this dude filled his oil up and then drove it and then after the drive the oil level was higher. Well duh...

This thread is just full of ignorance.

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds more like you're overly paranoid and filled a bit too much.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
FWIW - In all my years of driving & with all the cars I've had, there's never been a perceptible difference in oil level whether I checked the oil on a hot engine that's been sitting for several minutes and a cold engine before starting it for the day. I'm not saying there is no difference, just not a significant one, from my experience. Perhaps the expanded hot oil sort of compensates for the fact that not all of it has drained into the pan after 5-10 minutes. Just a thought.

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Thank goodness the 1.5L Civic motor isn't a dry sump like my wife's Z51. It has to have oil checked during a specific time window, after reaching full operating temperature. Even then, you are only measuring the oil in the reservoir & not the engine sump (as there isn't one). Can only imagine how many overfilled/ under filled engine oil threads there would be in this forum.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I'm a mechanical engineer with experience designing engine components. What you said is the exact opposite of anything I've ever learned and/or applied.

When the oil is hot, it is at it's full volume and is circulating through the system. You need to know what your fluid level is at operating condition, not when it is cold.

The proper check is full operating temperature. Shut the engine off and let it sit for a period of time (generally 5 min is enough). Check the level.

Different engines are engineered differently, though Honda is a HOT check.
Fluid expansion question.

I’ve always noticed automatic transmission fluid level changes a lot with temperature. A previous car had an ATF dipstick & there probably was an inch difference between the cold range & the hot range. You never see anything like that on an engine oil dipstick. Here’s an image from the service manual. Why does ATF expand so much more than engine oil?

Honda Civic 10th gen My oil dilution Chrysler ATF dipstick

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Fluid expansion question.

I’ve always noticed automatic transmission fluid level changes a lot with temperature. A previous car had an ATF dipstick & there probably was an inch difference between the cold range & the hot range. You never see anything like that on an engine oil dipstick. Here’s an image from the service manual. Why does ATF expand so much more than engine oil?

Chrysler ATF dipstick.jpg
Not going to hijack this thread, so I’ll keep it short. I don’t know reason for the expansion in the application. The reason it expands is just a chemical property of the liquid.

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
Should be checked when it’s cold. Let it sit over night check in the morning before starting the car. That’s when all the oil is sitting in the pan. When you check when the cars at operating temperature the oil is going to be low because oil has been circulating in the engine and is still sitting in its components making its way down to the pan. That’s usually how people over fill their oil. Think it’s low (while you check at operating temperatures) so you top it off and now you are overfilled. If it’s to the point where the crankshaft is able to reach it when the engine is on then you have it agitating the oil as it spins and you end up with oil foam. I’ve seen some diesels have a hot and cold oil level check, but most cars don’t lol. Trans fluid on the other hand is checked at operating temperature unless the dip stick has a cold level check on the dipstick
You're %100 right brother.

To the "engineer" here and everyone that is following his mis-information and eating it up with a side of fries...

This is what the company that manufactures oil says to do when checking your oil.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...els-be-checked-when-the-engine-is-hot-or-cold

Oil doesn't expand enough to warrant any difference. Check it when it's cold, all your oil is in the oil pan, and you will get an accurate reading on the dip stick. This is not a debate, it's fact. You can still check it warm, just make sure the engine has been off for a bit to let the oil drain out of the head.

Can't wait for the replies here.... gonna be a good! Flame on! :D

Honda Civic 10th gen My oil dilution giphy

EDIT: can't spell.
EDIT: HOLY I CAN'T TYPE
EDIT: Adding Sick GIFSSSS

Last edited:

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
You're %100 right brother.

To the "engineer" here and everyone that is following his mis-information and eating it up with a side of fries...

This is what the company that manufactures oil says to do when checking your oil.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...els-be-checked-when-the-engine-is-hot-or-cold

Oil doesn't expand enough to warrant any difference. Check it when it's cold, all your oil is in the oil pan, and you will get an accurate reading on the dip stick. This is not a debate, it's fact. You can still check it warm, just make sure the engine has been off for a bit to let the oil drain out of the head.

Can't wait for the replies here.... gonna be a good! Flame on! :D

giphy.gif

EDIT: can't spell.
EDIT: HOLY I CAN'T TYPE
EDIT: Adding Sick GIFSSSS
Correct, the replies should be good. Including this one.

Synthetic oil expands quite a bit more than regular oil. A lot of the newer cars, INCLUDING the 10th gen civics run on synthetic oil. Or at least come with it.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/541/dipstick-oil-analysis

https://mechanicbase.com/engine-oil/check-the-engine-oil-hot-or-cold/

Not to mention that the info from mobile one you linked says that the oil should be drained back into the oil pan. Which is why it recommends checking before it starts or 5-10 minutes after it has been driven. Nothing to do with the oil actually being cold.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Port injection FTW!!

fkseven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7
Country flag
Check out GF-6 oil, stuff is made for GDI engines.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
A long time mechanic told me this is the rule of thumb:

1. If dipstick shows normal level, it's obviously fine but make sure to change oil every 6 months.
2. If dipstick shows oil overflow, it's fine as long as you change oil every 6 months.
3. If dipstick show low level, immediately add oil to normal level and continue to change oil every 6 months.
4. If the oil is dirty it's fine as long as you change oil every 6 months.

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So guy asks question. Mechanical engineer tells him its not a problem. Guy ignores engineer and shows detailed sample taken showing engine is within spec. Guy still thinks he has oil dilution. Another guy thinks taking oil level should be done when engine is cool.(wrong) Always check oil levels once engine reaches minimum operating temperature.

Oil expands. If this dude filled his oil up and then drove it and then after the drive the oil level was higher. Well duh...

This thread is just full of ignorance.
?
Sponsored