Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Coupe Manual
Country flag
I did not over filled it. I have had this car since new and did all the oil changes myself. I checked after the filling, it was at max line. I put in 3.5 qt.

I definitely have oil dilution because the oil level increased after each oil change, i'm only asking questions now because I'm curious. My oil does have gasoline smell. It definitely have oil dilution.
Hi, this is the problem with direct injection technology it causes oil dilution, injectors are less reliable than port injectors and more expensive to replace, makes more noise, exhausts are very quickly black like a diesel, Carbon build up on the intake valves...I still don’t understand the value of this Technology ? But for sure go to your dealer to have your car checked ASAP !
Sponsored

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
So guy asks question. Mechanical engineer tells him its not a problem. Guy ignores engineer and shows detailed sample taken showing engine is within spec. Guy still thinks he has oil dilution. Another guy thinks taking oil level should be done when engine is cool.(wrong) Always check oil levels once engine reaches minimum operating temperature.

Oil expands. If this dude filled his oil up and then drove it and then after the drive the oil level was higher. Well duh...

This thread is just full of ignorance.

yes, you are a genius

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Hi, this is the problem with direct injection technology it causes oil dilution, injectors are less reliable than port injectors and more expensive to replace, makes more noise, exhausts are very quickly black like a diesel, Carbon build up on the intake valves...I still don’t understand the value of this Technology ? But for sure go to your dealer to have your car checked ASAP !

doesn't hurt to check with dealer

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
For a number of reasons...but mainly:
- Efficiency
- Higher power output
- Reduced emissions

The gains could be only a few %, but with emissions getting tighter and tighter, that is where the automotive industry is heading. That and plug-in Hybrids and all-electrics.

The Civic, excluding the Type-R, is an economy car.
8.2L/100km is still better than 9L/100km .... it's not much, but looks good on paper.

If you check the Honda Canada site, you see they are showing the CO2 emissions for every car in their line-up (by the Type-R LE haha).

If Port Injected on the Civic is say... 180 g/km CO2 vs Direct Injected being 165 g/km CO2, they'll go with Direct Injected.

There are car buys who makes their buying decisions based on those.

Honda Civic 10th gen My oil dilution 1608252641409

Honda Civic 10th gen My oil dilution 1608252663696

Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For a number of reasons...but mainly:
- Efficiency
- Higher power output
- Reduced emissions

The gains could be only a few %, but with emissions getting tighter and tighter, that is where the automotive industry is heading. That and plug-in Hybrids and all-electrics.

The Civic, excluding the Type-R, is an economy car.
8.2L/100km is still better than 9L/100km .... it's not much, but looks good on paper.

If you check the Honda Canada site, you see they are showing the CO2 emissions for every car in their line-up (by the Type-R LE haha).

If Port Injected on the Civic is say... 180 g/km CO2 vs Direct Injected being 165 g/km CO2, they'll go with Direct Injected.

There are car buys who makes their buying decisions based on those.

1608252641409.png

1608252663696.png
Hi Victor thanks a lot for your answer and analysis I fully agree with your point of view but I still think that in real life the problem with Direct injection technology brings more cons than pros for the buyer on the long term : oil dilution + carbon build up . I am pretty sure that after a few tens of thousands miles the gap in efficiency and emissions with a port injection engine is almost zero due to the 2 cons mentionned above + we all know that MPG official values with a turbo engine is always underrated with real life use. It is just my point of view I can be wrong of course... with my Civic 2.0 L I average so far 31 mpg which is good I think + I have the legendary honda classic engine reliability and 160 PS is enough here in Canada. Happy Christmas ! Best regards Nic

Last edited:

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
I welcome new technology, you can fight change all you want but it's gonna happen. Honda has had direct injection in production engines since 2012 and there are very little carbon build up issues with them. Sure the oil dilution issue is a bit of a concern, but not something I wouldn't avoid buying a car from. It's way over blown from what I've heard, there are many many civics that are coming into the dealers now with the L15B7 and they have over 200k on them. They've gone through a bunch of AC condensers but the engines are solid. I have had no oil dilution issues, my oil level is bang on where it was from when I change it. I also had the update so perhaps that is why.

For me the pros way out weigh the cons. I drove an LX sedan with a 6MT and when compared to the hatch with the 1.5, the difference was night and day. My car still puts a smile on my face when I put the hammer down.

Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I welcome new technology, you can fight change all you want but it's gonna happen. Honda has had direct injection in production engines since 2012 and there are very little carbon build up issues with them. Sure the oil dilution issue is a bit of a concern, but not something I wouldn't avoid buying a car from. It's way over blown from what I've heard, there are many many civics that are coming into the dealers now with the L15B7 and they have over 200k on them. They've gone through a bunch of AC condensers but the engines are solid. I have had no oil dilution issues, my oil level is bang on where it was from when I change it. I also had the update so perhaps that is why.

For me the pros way out weigh the cons. I drove an LX sedan with a 6MT and when compared to the hatch with the 1.5, the difference was night and day. My car still puts a smile on my face when I put the hammer down.
Hi Jeb, I understand your point of view and your are certainly right ! But FYI I am 50 years old and a big fan of naturally aspirated and manual engines but I am aware that nowadays the trend is small displacement engines with direct injection, turbo and cvt I understand the reasons but still a bit sad as far as I am concerned... Anyway all Civics are great don't make me wrong !!!! Happy Christmas Cheers Nick

Reactions: jeb

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I getcha! They are all good cars yup, k20 still has that happy fun reving characteristics I still love. Have a great Christmas!

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Technology marches on, and you've got to both comprehend and adapt. Most dealers never review the use of Toptier fuels (which Honda strongly recommends in the owners manual) with new Honda customers that are purchasing DI Turbocharged engines and it's effects of keeping, not only injectors and valves cleaner, but the secondary benefits of cleaner pistons, rings , etc. Most service departments are still totally unaware of the changes in motor oils from the GF-5 to the new GF-6A standards, which addresses LSPI, chain wear and ability to effectively lubricate under dilution conditions among other things. Have had 4 1.5t engines now, used nothing but Toptier 87 octane, started using GF-6A 0W-20 oils since they came available in May. Have used Mobil1 0W-20 AFE and changed at 5k intervals, Blackstone's labs UOA's have never shown dilution above 2% and that was only once, usually less than . 5%. I get as much highway miles as possible, limit warm-up time to 2 min max, and limit short trips where the oil doesn't get to proper operating temperature. Now, if we could just get Honda to design a dipstick you can actually read......and get dealerships up to date on fuel & lubricant specifications changes. The 1.5t is a well designed engine, Honda's CVT is far better and much more durable than its competitors, just needs to be understood, fed a proper diet of fluids and driven with an understanding of its technology. Ultimately the small displacement turbocharged DI engines are a means to an end, lower emissions, decent power and good fuel economy.

Last edited:

Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Technology marches on, and you've got to both comprehend and adapt. Most dealers never review the use of Toptier fuels with new Honda customers that are purchasing DI Turbocharged engines and it's effects of keeping, not only injectors and valves cleaner, but the secondary benefits of cleaner pistons, rings , etc. Most service departments are still totally unaware of the changes in motor oils from the GF-5 to the new GF-6A standards, which addresses LSPI, chain wear and ability to effectively lubricate under dilution conditions among other things. Have had 4 1.5t engines now, used nothing but Toptier 87 octane, started using GF-6A 0W-20 oils since they came available in May. Have used Mobil1 0W-20 AFE and changed at 5k intervals, Blackstone's labs UOA's have never shown dilution above 2% and that was only once, usually less than . 5%. I get as much highway miles as possible, limit warm-up time to 2 min max, and limit short trips where the oil doesn't get to proper operating temperature. Now, if we could just get Honda to design a dipstick you can actually read......and get dealerships up to date on fuel & lubricant specifications changes. The 1.5t is a well designed engine, Honda's CVT is far better and much more durable than its competitors, just needs to be understood, fed a proper diet of fluids and driven with an understanding of its technology. Ultimately the small displacement turbocharged DI engines are a means to an end, lower emissions, decent power and good fuel economy.
Fully agree with you Phil ! I always put Toptier fuel and oil in my cars because I am as all of you on this Forum passionate of cars (since I am a kid) + I do my oil changes every 6 months when I rotate my winter wheels with my summer wheels (I do 12000 kms per year) +1000 with the dipstick :) at least there is still a dipstick on a Honda not like German cars nowadays archhh.... Happy Christmas Nick

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Everything I own gets 91 from Shell. The Civ, Subaru, all my toys, Motorbike, snowblower, lawnmower, woodchipper, trimmer, etc. Ethanol is the devil.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
113,000 miles, Ktuned since 63,000 miles. Change the oil at 5-7k intervals. Use Mobil 1 0-20w. Use top tier gas always, usually shell 93. Car still runs like new.

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
113,000 miles, Ktuned since 63,000 miles. Change the oil at 5-7k intervals. Use Mobil 1 0-20w. Use top tier gas always, usually shell 93. Car still runs like new.
I love hearing about you high mileage guys. Can you list any repairs needed to the car outside of fluids/brakes/tires? I’m only at 41,000km right now so I’m a ways away from you haha.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love hearing about you high mileage guys. Can you list any repairs needed to the car outside of fluids/brakes/tires? I’m only at 41,000km right now so I’m a ways away from you haha.
No problems at all!