My oil dilution

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Was getting <0.5 the first few oil change and all of a sudden I get 2.5% fuel @ 35k miles. Typically change oil @ 6k pushed it a bit further to 7k the last oil change hmm...
Sponsored

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

R-36276

First Name
Milo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I have oil dilution on my 2017 hatch EX. I changed the oil the other day and filled it up to max line. I noticed the oil level increased about 1 cm above the max line. So i used a small tube and a syringe to remove about 90 mL of oil. I checked the oil level again after the removal, the level was slightly below the max line. The next day i checked the oil level again, i drove the car the night before, it was again 1 cm above the max line. What do you guys think of this? Should i remove some more?

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...s/honda-oil-dilution-class-action-settlement/

If you think you have an issue, Honda will most likely want to get it resolved before they have to spend more on recalls or other litigation

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
These oil concerns are probably just the auto and oil corporations keeping their product relevant(and more expensive). Best advice is simply to change your oil every six months and forget about it.

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
Blackstone's labs UOA's have never shown dilution above 2% and that was only once, usually less than . 5%.

@PhilF I'd like to know your source because I think it's very wrong. Months ago I posted my Blackstone results to The Oil Thread showing 4.3%.

That was concerning at the time but now my driving routine has shifted from a 2 mile daily commute to none. When I drive the car it's usually 10-20 miles. AND I stopped using 89 octane gas and now always use Premium per my owner's manual. (btw, I use TopTier gas stations most of the time.) The past few times I checked my oil level it's right about the level as when I did the oil change.

Honda Civic 10th gen My oil dilution

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
@PhilF I'd like to know your source because I think it's very wrong. Months ago I posted my Blackstone results to The Oil Thread showing 4.3%.

That was concerning at the time but now my driving routine has shifted from a 2 mile daily commute to none. When I drive the car it's usually 10-20 miles. AND I stopped using 89 octane gas and now always use Premium per my owner's manual. (btw, I use TopTier gas stations most of the time.) The past few times I checked my oil level it's right about the level as when I did the oil change.

.png
My response was based on my individual results on reports based on oil I sent in from my Civic Touring Coupe, highest was 2%, one occurence, all other reports on my car were under .5%. Usually 5k change intervals. Being aware of potential issues, I generally drove at least long enough time/distance to get the oil to temperature. Fuel most used was Shell 87, did a brief 2500 mi experiment using Shell 93, other than a slight perception of increased smoothness and a (computed) decrease of about 1 mpg, only thing I noticed was a lighter wallet. My Owner's manual reccomended 87. I've used Mobil1 0W-20 AFE exclusively, it's recently (like most 0W-20 oils) has been upgraded from GF-5 to GF-6A. I considered trying Pennsoil Ultra Platinum, but it's been pretty much unobtanium in Central Pennsylvania, the M1 has worked well for me, probably stay with it.

Reactions: jeb

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
Ah, roger that..thought you meant UOA results in general. My bad... I was running some TopTier, high octane egg nog in my system yesterday!

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Technology marches on, and you've got to both comprehend and adapt. Most dealers never review the use of Toptier fuels (which Honda strongly recommends in the owners manual) with new Honda customers that are purchasing DI Turbocharged engines and it's effects of keeping, not only injectors and valves cleaner, but the secondary benefits of cleaner pistons, rings , etc. Most service departments are still totally unaware of the changes in motor oils from the GF-5 to the new GF-6A standards, which addresses LSPI, chain wear and ability to effectively lubricate under dilution conditions among other things. Have had 4 1.5t engines now, used nothing but Toptier 87 octane, started using GF-6A 0W-20 oils since they came available in May. Have used Mobil1 0W-20 AFE and changed at 5k intervals, Blackstone's labs UOA's have never shown dilution above 2% and that was only once, usually less than . 5%. I get as much highway miles as possible, limit warm-up time to 2 min max, and limit short trips where the oil doesn't get to proper operating temperature. Now, if we could just get Honda to design a dipstick you can actually read......and get dealerships up to date on fuel & lubricant specifications changes. The 1.5t is a well designed engine, Honda's CVT is far better and much more durable than its competitors, just needs to be understood, fed a proper diet of fluids and driven with an understanding of its technology. Ultimately the small displacement turbocharged DI engines are a means to an end, lower emissions, decent power and good fuel economy.
Great post (Oil Dilution) way over blown for me at least been using 0-20 for 5 years now no issues as of yet change intervals 4to5 thousand miles, unless you live at the North pole really not an issue imo 0-16 might be entertained in future Thanks G
Sponsored