My oil dilution

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I have oil dilution on my 2017 hatch EX. I changed the oil the other day and filled it up to max line. I noticed the oil level increased about 1 cm above the max line. So i used a small tube and a syringe to remove about 90 mL of oil. I checked the oil level again after the removal, the level was slightly below the max line. The next day i checked the oil level again, i drove the car the night before, it was again 1 cm above the max line. What do you guys think of this? Should i remove some more?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shawn2shawn

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
I have oil dilution on my 2017 hatch EX. I changed the oil the other day and filled it up to max line on the orange plastic indicator. Since it's fresh new oil, i have been keeping track of how much the oil level/ oil dilution increased after a few days. I noticed the oil level increased about 1 cm above the max line. So i used a small tube and a syringe to remove about 90 mL of oil. I checked the oil level again after the removal, the level was slightly below the max line. The next day, after driving 25 miles the night before, i checked the oil level again, it was again 1 cm above the max line. I always wait hours until the oil cooled to check the oil level. What do you guys think of this? Should i remove some more?
Um what?

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
Don't remove oil. How many KMs/Miles on this oil? If your oil is that diluted then the only thing you can do is change the oil.

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Don't remove oil. How many KMs/Miles on this oil? If your oil is that diluted then the only thing you can do is change the oil.

This is fresh oil. After the oil change, i noticed the level went 1cm above the max line. I then removed 90mL of oil, the level wen below the max line. After driving 25 miles and letting it sit for 10 hrs, the oil level when back to 1cm above the max line.

Reactions: jeb

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I highly doubt the solution is to remove oil...

i don't know any solution to the oil dilution problem. I don't want the oil/gas mixture to be above the max fill line that's why i removed it.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your worrying too much. I've had it go 1/8th to 1/4 inch above the max line, no problems.

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is fresh oil. After the oil change, i noticed the level went 1cm above the max line. I then removed 90mL of oil, the level wen below the max line. After driving 25 miles and letting it sit for 10 hrs, the oil level when back to 1cm above the max line.
Okay, it sounds like you just over filled it a tad. A little won't hurt anything. That's not oil dilution, oil dilution is when your oil is mixed with a bit of fuel, common issue on direct injection engines, and has been a well documented issue on the 1.5T.

How much oil did you put in when you changed it?

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Okay, it sounds like you just over filled it a tad. A little won't hurt anything. That's not oil dilution, oil dilution is when your oil is mixed with a bit of fuel, common issue on direct injection engines, and has been a well documented issue on the 1.5T.

How much oil did you put in when you changed it?

I did not over filled it. I have had this car since new and did all the oil changes myself. I checked after the filling, it was at max line. I put in 3.5 qt.

I definitely have oil dilution because the oil level increased after each oil change, i'm only asking questions now because I'm curious. My oil does have gasoline smell. It definitely have oil dilution.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
If I understand correctly, after changing oil the other day, the level went up 1 cm which is about 0.4 inch. Then removed about 90 ml or about 3 oz. Drove 25 miles & the level was up again by about 0.4 inch. So in a matter of a few days that's an increase in oil level of about 0.8 inch. That means about 6 oz of gasoline in the oil in a few days. That sure seems like a lot. I'd have a dealer look at it.

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did not over filled it. I have had this car since new and did all the oil changes myself. I checked after the filling, it was at max line. I put in 3.5 qt.

I definitely have oil dilution because the oil level increased after each oil change, i'm only asking questions now because I'm curious. My oil does have gasoline smell. It definitely have oil dilution.
If you just changed the oil there's a very low low chance that it is actually gas, you've just over filled it. If you're truly sure you have that much gas in your oil so soon after an oil change then you have a huge problem with oil dilution and you need to get that addressed by a dealer or a mechanic.

My oil level is always the same after 8000kms when I change it.

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Sedan NA 2.0 L CVT
Country flag
I have oil dilution on my 2017 hatch EX. I changed the oil the other day and filled it up to max line. I noticed the oil level increased about 1 cm above the max line. So i used a small tube and a syringe to remove about 90 mL of oil. I checked the oil level again after the removal, the level was slightly below the max line. The next day i checked the oil level again, i drove the car the night before, it was again 1 cm above the max line. What do you guys think of this? Should i remove some more?
I heard there was a specific oil being developed for the Honda engines with the GDI, I think it's a 0w16 oil.

The first minute or so talks about the oil specifically developed for GDI engines.

This mechanic addresses the issue directly in this video above. I'm not too knowledgeable in oil dilution, I got the 2.0L engine without GDI but I hope the information provided helps in some way. Good luck and I hope you have your issue solved.

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
If I understand correctly, after changing oil the other day, the level went up 1 cm which is about 0.4 inch. Then removed about 90 ml or about 3 oz. Drove 25 miles & the level was up again by about 0.4 inch. So in a matter of a few days that's an increase in oil level of about 0.8 inch. That means about 6 oz of gasoline in the oil in a few days. That sure seems like a lot. I'd have a dealer look at it.

Changed oil to max level. Drove the car for 30mins, waited to cool, measured again, 1cm above the max line. Took out 90mL of oil, the level came back down to slight below max line. Drove the car again, did some errands, waited for cool, measured the level again, it was 1cm above max line again.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Changed oil to max level. Drove the car for 30mins, waited to cool, measured again, 1cm above the max line. Took out 90mL of oil, the level came back down to slight below max line. Drove the car again, did some errands, waited for cool, measured the level again, it was 1cm above max line again.
you can't build that much gas into your oil in such a short trip...if you do your engine has internal damage or something...there has to be another explanation...
You put new oil, run it for 30 min, then it smells like gasoline and went up that much?!
Your engine would need to be litteraly dumping fuel through the sides like there was a broken piston ring or something...

Cause to see it rise like that you normaly would need to drive it for a while...lots os quick trips, lots of cold starts etc.

What mileage is your car? (sry if answered already)
Sponsored