My Memorial Weekend Blowouts (and I'm not talking sales)...

MikeyDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
On my way to New Jersey on Thursday, I blew a right rear tire (Firestone factory tire) and had to change it out for the donut. I had a mechanic look at the tire and there was a 1.5 inch gash on the bottom, so it was toast. I replaced it with a superior Pirelli P4.

On the way back to Pennslyvania yesterday, the left rear (another factory tire) blew. So, the donut went on the other side. I'm going to replace it with a match to the Pirelli.

So, did I get unlucky, or is there an issue with the factory Firestone tire? I've run over stuff on the road for five years in my older Civic and never had an issue. Could it be that when this factory tire gets hot, it is more prone to puncture?

Tell me what you think. Might I have a case against Firestone?
Sponsored

joserevelo

J Revelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
On my way to New Jersey on Thursday, I blew a right rear tire (Firestone factory tire) and had to change it out for the donut. I had a mechanic look at the tire and there was a 1.5 inch gash on the bottom, so it was toast. I replaced it with a superior Pirelli P4.

On the way back to Pennslyvania yesterday, the left rear (another factory tire) blew. So, the donut went on the other side. I'm going to replace it with a match to the Pirelli.

So, did I get unlucky, or is there an issue with the factory Firestone tire? I've run over stuff on the road for five years in my older Civic and never had an issue. Could it be that when this factory tire gets hot, it is more prone to puncture?

call American honda immediately and tell them what happened. I think if your under 500 miles you should be covered no doubt

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag

I live in South Florida with a great deal of heat. I have over 8000 miles on these tires. Never had an issue yet. Once I wear them out I will not replace them with Firestones.

asdf916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
Country flag
Welp, if they recall the tires, I would be more than happy. These Firestones aren't the best.

Also, aren't you supposed to have matching tires for the left and right sides?

finalnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Welp, if they recall the tires, I would be more than happy. These Firestones aren't the best.

Also, aren't you supposed to have matching tires for the left and right sides?
Yep, supposed to be at least matched per axle if all 4 match isn't possible..

I did notice how crappy the stock tires are, reminded me of my Sonata's stock tires. Hopefully the snow traction isn't equally bad.

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
Not exactly the same as what OP got, but I replaced the standard Dunlop tires on my CR-Z with Pirelli P7s and they are great tires. I would imagine the P4s would be an excellent choice as well.

OP
OP

MikeyDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Not exactly the same as what OP got, but I replaced the standard Dunlop tires on my CR-Z with Pirelli P7s and they are great tires. I would imagine the P4s would be an excellent choice as well.
Well...I replaced the left rear and the mechanic looked at the original tire and couldn't find any holes...so I am keeping the original tire to show to Firestone...how did a perfectly good tire suddenly lose all air pressure on the highway?

OP
OP

MikeyDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Well...I replaced the left rear and the mechanic looked at the original tire and couldn't find any holes...so I am keeping the original tire to show to Firestone...how did a perfectly good tire suddenly lose all air pressure on the highway?
...and the rim is brand new...I have never put any dents in it.

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
Huh, that's weird. I really don't have any idea how that could happen unless there is a hole your mechanic just isn't finding. I was really just commenting on your choice of replacement tires being a good one

Llamasloth007

2016 black w/tints
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex

I had my front passenger side blow out on me driving to work within the first month I got the car(46 miles one way to work. So 100 a day on my civic btw). Place I went to didn't have matching tire but no worries on my end. Just letting you know it's happened to more than just you. I've never in my life had a tire "blow out" on me, tire was toast. Definitely won't purchase these tires again.

OP
OP

MikeyDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I had my front passenger side blow out on me driving to work within the first month I got the car(46 miles one way to work. So 100 a day on my civic btw). Place I went to didn't have matching tire but no worries on my end. Just letting you know it's happened to more than just you. I've never in my life had a tire "blow out" on me, tire was toast. Definitely won't purchase these tires again.
When my mechanic looked at the left rear, he couldn't find any defects...so how did this tire just lose air pressure on the highway? My rims are brand new as well, so it's not a bent rim.

Llamasloth007

2016 black w/tints
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex
I
When my mechanic looked at the left rear, he couldn't find any defects...so how did this tire just lose air pressure on the highway? My rims are brand new as well, so it's not a bent rim.
I definitely ran something over. No idea what it was. I know it wasn't big. But like I said I've never had a tire blow out and I've been running over stuff for years haha

BlueTouringNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic touring
Barring any accidents like y'all been talking about, these firestone's have been marvelous. Quite surprised out their gripping quality and their smoothness. So I'm not going to judge them quite yet.

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I would go after Firestone for this. I had a 2013 Civic, all four tires were worn to the point of failing inspection after barely 15,000 miles in just over a years time. The tires were rated for 80,000 miles. I contacted Firestone multiple times trying to get either a new set free, or heavily discounted, but they gave me nothing. Finally I gave up and just bought a new, non-Firestone set. I refuse to ever buy a Firestone tire again. I can't wait until I can get new ones for the 2016.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Barring any accidents like y'all been talking about, these firestone's have been marvelous. Quite surprised out their gripping quality and their smoothness. So I'm not going to judge them quite yet.
The Firestone tires are the weak point of the car. I am confident in saying this only because I autocross and the car performed marvelously but the tires gave up and lost traction way too soon.
Sponsored