My KTuner experience - an ongoing journal

WolfTrax17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
After trying out the 16/18/21 tune for 2 weeks I'm strongly considering switching it back to 21/18/16 or just making 21 my primary tune and using ECO mode until it's warmed up. I'm not enjoying having to map switch to get the 21 and I regularly use my cruise control
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After trying out the 16/18/21 tune for 2 weeks I'm strongly considering switching it back to 21/18/16 or just making 21 my primary tune and using ECO mode until it's warmed up. I'm not enjoying having to map switch to get the 21 and I regularly use my cruise control
I have my most aggressive tune in 1 and the my slow tune in 3 so I only switch when Im on long road trips

WolfTrax17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have my most aggressive tune in 1 and the my slow tune in 3 so I only switch when Im on long road trips
Doing that do you let your car warm up using ECO to start or just drive it easy?

Are you using Normalized throttle or Sport+ on your ECO settings?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Doing that do you let your car warm up using ECO to start or just drive it easy?

As far as I know, dallas is using Sport+.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ECO on Normalized throttle, ECO off Sport +

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was thinking that you guys with short trips, can you put it in S to warm it up faster?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think putting the CVT in S while the engine is cold is probably the opposite of a good idea. You don't want it to rev high when cold.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've got an interesting Hondata versus Ktuner observation. For the past couples days, I've been running the Factory tune. And to be honest it feels kind of awful. Not only because there's less overall power but the throttle reponse and low end just feel slow compared to my Ktuner tune.

Yet, a few months ago when I flashed back to factory before selling my Flashpro, I made a post here complimenting how good the Honda stock tune was.

So why the completely different impression of the same stock tune? Well, the answer is easy. The Hondata tune feels very stock like under 3500 rpm. It only really takes off above 4000 rpm. On the other hand, with all the drivability tweaks, Ktuner feels much better down low and overall much, much smoother.

I'm not here to bash Hondata. It's a good product. Ktuner is just better for this 10th gen.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've got an interesting Hondata versus Ktuner observation. For the past couples days, I've been running the Factory tune. And to be honest it feels kind of awful. Not only because there's less overall power but the throttle reponse and low end just feel slow compared to my Ktuner tune.

Yet, a few months ago when I flashed back to factory before selling my Flashpro, I made a post here complimenting how good the Honda stock tune was.

So why the completely different impression of the same stock tune? Well, the answer is easy. The Hondata tune feels very stock like under 3500 rpm. It only really takes off above 4000 rpm. On the other hand, with all the drivability tweaks, Ktuner feels much better down low and overall much, much smoother.

I'm not here to bash Hondata. It's a good product. Ktuner is just better for this 10th gen.
it goes back to +3 or +6 psi, but from what. If you were hitting 11-13 psi like 99% of the stock tunes hit then 6 was really only hitting 19 psi which is what I saw on Hondata. With Ktuner I hit the 21 psi plus all the driveability goodies......

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For me Dallas, the difference isn't the peak power, it's the driveability. The Hondata tune feels like the stock tune with a rush of power at high speed. The lag is still mostly there. With the KTuner tune you press the throttle and she goes, no matter what RPM.

WolfTrax17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

More importantly why on earth did you voluntarily go back to the stock tune? Haha

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
More importantly why on earth did you voluntarily go back to the stock tune? Haha
Oh, that's easy. I had to take it to the dealer for some maintenance. I'm back to my tune now.:)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Captain's log, stardate 44253.5 ... :)

I took my car out on a 45 minute test drive loop first time in a while today. This is a combination of some city driving, some back country roads, some high speed highway and some steep hills. I also ran a datalog and all my numbers looked good.

A couple of things worth mentioning. It's amazing how easy this thing accelerates with KTuner. It just doesn't feel like you're driving a car powered by an engine the size of a soda bottle. I also noticed my K.Control rose to .60 going up some very long, steep hills, but in a matter of minutes, it settled back down to .49! It was a nice crisp 45 degrees today, and man oh man does the car feel powerful at those coolish temps.

One more more observation. I definitely should put on those Nokian zLine UHP tires I have in my basement because at times the acceleration overwhelms the stock tires and I have to back off. It's just hard for me to take off tires in perfect shape with only 11,000 miles on them.

And last but not least...

The extra power definitely gets you out of some "situations". I was behind a newish Camry merging onto a 65 mph highway (although most people are going 70+). Well, the Camry driver was clueless. He already had cut in front of me last minute to get on the ramp. And now he's in front of me doing 30 mph on this ramp and not building up speed at all. A ramp which is uphill and virtually straight. Anyway, I had enough. And I timed this perfectly. Saw my window of opportunity on the highway and made my move. Blew past the slowpoke and quicky made my way into the fast lane of the highway. In the rear view mirror, I could see Camry man still driving like a turtle and causing havoc on the highway. It's amazing how quickly I went from 30-90 mph with no fuss.

And that's the thing about a tune that people who run stock maybe don't realize. The extra power and reduced lag is almost a safety feature, used properly. On the other hand if you don't have some self control you can get yourself in some trouble! :cool:

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Thanks for this post @gtman ! I don't know anything about tuning a car and your info here is interesting. I'm seriously considering it for the first time with my 2017 Si....

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for this post @gtman ! I don't know anything about tuning a car and your info here is interesting. I'm seriously considering it for the first time with my 2017 Si....
There is no better bang for the buck mod out there than KTuner. Pick a conservative base tune, upload it, enjoy your new found power and go from there.
Sponsored

Last edited: