My KTuner experience - an ongoing journal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
We have 10 or so in DFW, been dealing with Vandergriff for about 10 years now. The sales floor doesnt get the greatest reviews but Ive never had an issue with the service department
If you know of any you can recommend in Houston or San Antonio, I will try those locations and hope for the best.
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Tanuktun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
Big Star Honda in Houston is pretty trash, they used to be good, Clear Lake Honda, I went once to new location and they are good but i dont know if they will be good to me for my update. San Antonio, I don't think any of them are good but I do not know.
The sales at big star i've worked with several times no issues, but i traded in my 17 because of the recall for my new 19 and the tires weren't balanced. Went back and they still didn't get it all the way right. Had the new discount tire on my side of town do it because I was not driving all the way from Tomball to Almeda a 3rd time.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Tuning diary, day 515...

Continuing to enjoy the 16.5 TSP "commuter tune". It has enough power for 90% of my driving. Map 3 covers the 10% of the time when I want to push things. Averaging nearly 40 mpg overall on the TSP Stage 1.

As good as the base tunes are from KTuner, the TSP Stage 1 is the tune to get. Sure the part throttle response is a bit softer than the Ktuner 21 with aggressive quick adjustments. There is no doubt about that. But...

Two Step and Derek have created a tune that is about 98% perfect for 98% of the drivers out there. Smooth is an understatement up to a little bit before 4,000 rpm. Basically give it throttle and it moves EXACTLY like you'd expect it to. Honestly, the lag is virtually gone. Power starts to come on at around 3,000 rpm. At 4,000 rpm, you wonder if you accidentally press the nitrous button.

Smooth low end power, solid midrange and a more potent high end. As good as those base KTuner tunes are, the TSP tune feels more sophisticated and it's close to perfect.

Buy it NOW.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
for the 4858th time, GT man bumps his own thread

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
If it does, the difference is minor as the torque down low is similar.

Check this out. Using TSP Map 2, I got great mileage today on my commute:

rps20190722_085223.jpg
So, I've been looking into the TSP Stage 1 tune and I have another question. Do you have to use the map switching? Today, I just have the Ktuner 21psi tune loaded and that's it. With the TSP Stage 1, will it load all three? The reason that I ask is that I don't keep my Ktuner connected all the time. So, I don't want to have the tune default to the "stock" Map 1 every time I start the car.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, I've been looking into the TSP Stage 1 tune and I have another question. Do you have to use the map switching? Today, I just have the Ktuner 21psi tune loaded and that's it. With the TSP Stage 1, will it load all three? The reason that I ask is that I don't keep my Ktuner connected all the time. So, I don't want to have the tune default to the "stock" Map 1 every time I start the car.
yes Map 3 is where the party is at. So if you remove the Ktuner it will default to map 1 when you shut the car off. So when you restart it, it will take you all of 3 seconds to get back to map 3.

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
yes Map 3 is where the party is at. So if you remove the Ktuner it will default to map 1 when you shut the car off. So when you restart it, it will take you all of 3 seconds to get back to map 3.
Thanks for confirming. That's not very convenient, tbh. I get that it only takes 3 seconds, or so, but I would need to do that every time I start the car.

I'll have to give it some thought.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
for the 4858th time, GT man bumps his own thread
Dallas you totally are misinterpreting this thread. I've posted it as my ongoing "journal" geared towards those who are interested or new to tuning. I've gotten hundreds of pm's from members thanking me for this topic and many of them have gotten into tuning because of it.

This isn't me "bumping" a thread to promote it to the top. Not my goal. At this point I'm just trying to hammer home how good the TSP tune is after using it for an extended period of time.

I get it. You like to judge others and that's who you are. As a guy who has run forums for 20 years, I try to be a solid member of any community I post at. Normally, I wouldn't even respond to what you posted, but in context, it's kind of unfair.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for confirming. That's not very convenient, tbh. I get that it only takes 3 seconds, or so, but I would need to do that every time I start the car.

you know what else takes 3 seconds? putting on your seat belt, and you do that no problem
Dallas you totally are misinterpreting this thread. I've posted it as my ongoing "journal" geared towards those who are interested or new to tuning. I've gotten hundreds of pm's from members thanking me for this topic and many of them have gotten into tuning because of it.

This isn't me "bumping" a thread to promote it to the top. Not my goal. At this point I'm just trying to hammer home how good the TSP tune is after using it for an extended period of time.

I get it. You like to judge others and that's who you are. As a guy who has run forums for 20 years, I try to be a solid member of any community I post at. Normally, I wouldn't even respond to what you posted, but in context, it's kind of unfair.
dude, its Friday. It was just fun lol especially since you know, you referenced day 515 twice.......

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Buy the tune, then contact Derek and he can set up Map 1 to be the main TSP full power Map. Sort of an inverse setup. Charlesrivers had this done and loves it.

Last edited:

TouringBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
TSP tune is now on my wishlist after purchasing K-Tuner V2; however, I'm all new to this and I'm still confused after reading every page of this thread. I have a few questions to help me clarify things, if you don't mind...

• 1) With the Dual Starter 21 - When the ECO button is on, is the car essentially driving in Factory (Non-ECO) mode or Stage 0 Mode?

• 2) Is the On-Fly-Switching for 3 modes actually switching among the options I have in the quick adjustments pane in K-Tuner instead of switching among the first 3 flashed tunes on my device?

• 3) As a Touring Sedan (CVT) owner with no performance upgrades, is it totally fine to quick adjust my Dual Starter 21 tune as long as I don't play devil's advocate with the Ramp settings (since it's a CVT)?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
1) Factory tune with some aspects of stock eco (reduced a/c output for example) but with the improved throttle quick adjustments of KTuner mixed in.

2) It's switching between tune 1/2/3 on the quick adjustments page. You then upload that to the KTuner and then the ECU. In turn, those 3 tunes are switchable on the fly with the CC buttons.

3) All the quick adjustments and ramp settings are safe EXCEPT for disabling the boost ramp. That would wreak havoc with your CVT.

Hope that helps.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I think he’s teasing you but forgot the smiley :) at the end. I, for one, appreciate the ongoing journal. Thanks.

Really tempted to get the TSP tune on the wife’s EXT but the last thing I need is her driving any faster than the car on the current excellent KTuner Stage 2 tune. Are you saying you observed an increase in MPG?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think he’s teasing you but forgot the smiley :) at the end. I, for one, appreciate the ongoing journal. Thanks.

Really tempted to get the TSP tune on the wife’s EXT but the last thing I need is her driving any faster than the car on the current excellent VTuner Stage 2 tune. Are you saying you observed an increase in MPG?
You're right, the no smiley threw me off.:dunno: It's all good.

I think mpg's are essentially the same as with my KTuner 21 tune. The increase is a combination of warmer weather and my switch to the PRL silicone intake hose / aFe Pro Dry S filter.

As far as switching to the TSP tune, it's definitely a great mod for only $79.95... :thumbsup: It's sort of hard to quantify the difference in words but it just feels like a more polished, complete tune, if that makes sense. More custom, less generic feeling.
Sponsored

Last edited: