First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback Sport Touring, Honda Del Sol
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Funny thing is if it came down to it, my car or my relationship, car stays. My car is also much cheaper to maintain ?
I’d just ride it out until she makes you actually choose between her and your si, which I highly doubt she will ever do, she will make up a much better reason that isn’t true to leave you ?
Sponsored

jimmyreal

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
She sounds like a pain in the ass.

My wife’s response was “Aww, I’m so excited you’re buying your first new car, you deserve it! I hope you love it!”

Then it was “I’m glad you got one so fun! A car like this would be wasted on me I’d never drive it as hard as you and obviously that’s what it’s for!”

Today’s response to ‘I might look to trade it next year if the ‘22 Si has a significant upgrade to the clutch or power’ was “well, cars are your thing, if it’s ok by the budget, do whatever makes you happy!”

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
From a community that is well-versed in trade-ins, it's clear you know what to do. ?

All kidding aside, this car is one of the smoother manuals you can get. The bushings do wear thin after 20-30K. Otherwise it's a fairly comfortable commuter.

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Yep that 1st to 2nd shift is always the hardest to nail. LOL I am lucky my wife just wanted me to be happy and she has her car she loves he Cadillac Escalad so she didn't give me a hard time. No that I am spending time and money throwing a bunch of mods on it I get it a little bit but mostly because she is convinced I am gonna wrap it around a light pole...LOL

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
When I first started dating my gf back in highschool she didn't really care about cars at all. Didn't acknowledge them at all. Eventually once I started spending money on my previous car she did get a little annoyed until I broke it down to her that this will never go away lol. My love for cars will be a forever thing, and quite literally "life's too short to stay stock" LMAO. After we had that talk she completely understands my addiction and actually supports me now. I even got her to learn about cars that she actually points some things out in a car that'll leave me stunned... What I'm tryna say OP, is that if she really likes/loves you she'll accept it and get used to it, and also accept your addiction lol

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't mean to beat a dead horse but I agree, either hopefully get her to understand your passion and love for your car or get a new GF.

I've been where you are at now before... I used to have a GF that gave absolutely zero fucks about my car, never had any interest in anything I would do to it, carelessly flung doors open when near cars and always complained about everything.

Fast forward years later, I am now with someone that loves and understands my passion. She has absolutely zero knowledge of how to drive, she doesn't even have her license (lives in nyc). Yet I can still ramble to her on about hours about upgrades that I did to my car even though I know she doesn't understand a lot of it. She comes to every car meet with me, she loves seeing cool different cars, she loves driving fast with me, she get's excited when I dodge potholes, and she always gives me a good second honest opinion when it comes to mods.

What I'm trying to say here is man.. is there are plenty fish in the sea. I am exponentially happier now than before when I have someone that genuinely respects my interests and always has open ears about it. When someone supports something your passionate about, it completely changes the way you view and appreciate them.

Take it from someone that has been in plenty crazy relationships before.. don't limit yourself for someone. Don't try and convince yourself of something just because they are your significant other. Put yourself and your passions first.

Edit: After re reading I think I sound kind of harsh LOL, yeah of course try to get her some little things like seat cushions or things like that to make the ride a bit better, if not then it's ejecto seat time cuhhh

Last edited:

Habanero

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX. 2012 G25
Country flag
Last edited:

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
She sounds like a pain in the ass.

My wife’s response was “Aww, I’m so excited you’re buying your first new car, you deserve it! I hope you love it!”

Then it was “I’m glad you got one so fun! A car like this would be wasted on me I’d never drive it as hard as you and obviously that’s what it’s for!”

Today’s response to ‘I might look to trade it next year if the ‘22 Si has a significant upgrade to the clutch or power’ was “well, cars are your thing, if it’s ok by the budget, do whatever makes you happy!”
Pretty much the same response from my wife, who doesn't even drive. Believe me, she has no problem complaining but hasn't complained at all about the Si's ride or shifting. She keeps asking me "Is this your dream car?" I tell her it has two seats too many to be that, but it is a car that I really wanted that fit our budget and lifestyle. Now, buying a Type R would have been a much harder sell.

Last edited:

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
My wife is not with my 6MT hatch either. She never drove it and never plans to. Oh well, I don't mind it. She's got her pilot and happy with it. I am, on the other hand, not really enjoying driving the pilot. To each it's own.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
To the OP, is your girlfriend a Senior Citizen? Then again that doesn't even count, I took my grandmom who was 75 at the time, for a ride in my 2000 Type R. She said, and I quote "that was so fun!" I tried to get her to drive it but she said she really didn't think she could remember how to driver a manual. So unless the GF buys a car and starts driving you, she should stop complaining, and you should recline her seat so she can't do that dramatic OH he's shifting and my body is moving show.

eee.ccc

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 DC5, 2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
Coming from a DC5 with coilovers ... My 10th si is like a freaking s class lol.

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
I feel like a lot of people have never rode shotgun in their own car. The experience of being a passenger in this car sucks. The seat is too low and you feel every bump, dip, and shift way more as the passenger than you do as the driver.

My wife is not a car enthusiast but she loves driving. She's the one that taught me how to drive manual and she loves driving my Si, but we both hate riding shotgun in it. It's a driver's car. Luckily we also have a CR-V so we take that if we're going on a road trip anywhere, but I totally understand where your girlfriend is coming from. Personally I'm going to be trading my car in for something that trades a bit of fun for a bit more comfort (GTI, Accord maybe) because even I start to find it a bit exhausting on a long trip with crappy roads, and the jerky 1-2 shift gets really annoying when you're running errands and hitting every red light.

At the same time, your girlfriend is a fully grown woman (I hope.) Why doesn't she have her own car? Why doesn't she get over whatever it is that makes her not like driving? Lots of people don't like driving, but they don't just expect someone to drive them around.
Sponsored