SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I caught my girlfriend doing the rocking back and forth when I shift into 2nd the other day.

I said “why are you rocking back and forth, that was a smooth shift?!”

She doesn’t even think about it, she just does it every time out of habit.

I’ll get a 2nd car before I ever get rid of the Si. She can have her CUV couch-on-wheels and I’ll even drive it for her whenever she wants.

But to bitch, moan, and constantly naG you about your choice in cars? That’s a no-go for me man, because that’s not the last thing she’s going to whine about. She just wants to own you.

I’m a firm believer in that everybody should drive a car that they enjoy getting into every day.
Sponsored

Last edited:

EdwinDrn

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag
My GF doesn't mind my car. She also had no idea what a manual was loll. The only inconvenience for her was that she couldn't hold my hand when I drive, so I told her to hold my stick.
lmao

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
Geez you should never be in charge of car purchases lol
Couldn't disagree with you more. Those cars cost next to nothing, ran forever and wear items were cheap as hell. I saved a boatload of money for years driving those "crappy cars".

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My girlfriend is from the Philippines and she's never driven. I told her if she's going to be my wife that its mandatory that she learns standard transmission, she laughed and said no problem. I think she'll be a better driver then me, she's fearless and loves my car even if she's never been in it. What I'm trying to tell you is that even if my girlfriend doesn't know how to drive she's still willing to give it a shot. I imagine that there will be many things that your girlfriend will ask you to give up in life and your civic is just the start.

NorrinRadd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Manual 1.5T, KTuner + TSP1
Country flag
First things first I'm just gonna say that I absolutely love my 2017 Si that I have had since brand new bought in August of 2017 with 19 miles on the odometer. But my girlfriend absolutely hates it and I kinda understand why.

First a couple of things about her, she is not a car person at all, in fact she HATES HATES HATES driving, avoids it like the plague so I do 99.99% of the driving when we go out. Second, I dont think she has ever seen anybody drive a manual before, infact she was shocked when I told her my car had 3 pedals, and didnt know that was a thing lol.

But I can still understand why she hates my car. Here are a few of the reasons she hates it in no particular order.

1. Ride is too stiff: We just drove 2 hours to Galveston (1 hour one way) and also around Galveston when we got there, the trip and the city once we arrived has some pretty bad roads. Now I've had my car for 3 years so I am used to the rough ride, but my gf isn't. She complains about how she feels every bump, every rough patch, and every road imperfection through her entire body. In fact after the entire trip, she limped back home lol.

2. Shifting: I think this is more a manual thing than an Si thing specifically, but shfiting in this car for some reason throws her whole body forward. No matter how smooth I try to be with the throttle and the clutch, shifting especially from 1st to 2nd throws her forward and I can just see her entire body in the corner of my eye move forward each time I shift in the lower gears. She absolutely hates this, especially after a night out drinking or after a meal, she says my car makes her feel like throwing up lol.

3. Low height: Getting in and out of the car for her is a lesson in leg exercise. As you all know, the 10th gen Civic front passenger seat does not have height adjustment, so the seat is pretty low to the ground. She moans and groans each time she gets in and out of the car.

4. Weird gearing: Similar to #2.. When crawling in 1st gear in slow bumper to bumper traffic, the car will do this weird launching or herky jerky thing. She sometimes thinks I am messing with her lol but then I have to reassure her that it is just what the 1st gear does sometimes in traffic. Because of this, long crawling traffic can make her car sick with repeated 1st gear jerking.

She absolutely hates my car lol and wants me to get rid of it, but my car is my baby and isnt going anywhere anytime soon. With that being said, I completely understand where she is coming from, especially seeing it from her POV as someone who isnt into cars.

It is getting so bad that I am beginning to get anxious and super aware of every thing I do when she is in the car with me lol. She would much prefer something like a GTI I feel, it is the ultimate comfortable cruiser in these class of cars, over my dead body though ?
Most of these things are why I went with a Sport Turbo over the Si (also I wanted a hatch)... My wife hated riding in my WRX & Spec-V, but she quite likes the Civic... happy wife happy life ?

LittleturboSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I wanted to say something good for your girlfriend. She is actually a potential enthusiastic car people! She is sensitive/smart enough to notice the characters of this car. Comparing to some passengers, as long as you can drive them point A to point B, it just feels like another car to them anyway.

Yes the passenger seat is uncomforatably low. When I sit there cleaning windshield....I sure would complain the same if I have to ride in this car many times. You just feel like a cargo instead of enjoying the ride by feeling the outside. And no matter how smooth you shift, passenger will always rock back and forth more or less. It's not a problem for driver because we are expecting the shift in brain and our body is also adjusting to that. Just like it's never a problem tickle yourself but not others. And yes, you can feel almost every bump in this car if you are sensitive enough to tell.

So it's just a car problem instead of a relationship problem, or unless it turns into one. Take it easy or even try to teach her to drive manual and she may eventually find it fun!

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
1. Ride is too stiff: We just drove 2 hours to Galveston (1 hour one way) and also around Galveston when we got there, the trip and the city once we arrived has some pretty bad roads. Now I've had my car for 3 years so I am used to the rough ride, but my gf isn't. She complains about how she feels every bump, every rough patch, and every road imperfection through her entire body. In fact after the entire trip, she limped back home lol.

3. Low height: Getting in and out of the car for her is a lesson in leg exercise. As you all know, the 10th gen Civic front passenger seat does not have height adjustment, so the seat is pretty low to the ground. She moans and groans each time she gets in and out of the car.
Easily fixed!

This handy dandy seat add-on will not only raise her up, it will give her a massage "in all the right places". ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen My girlfriend hates my Si and I understand why 683ad7221e8fdce8562d6131d997e96a

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The GF has to understand you are a package deal , everything about you including your choice of car is part of you. You can be as accommodating and understanding with her, BUT that door swings both ways. She also has to understand you and your choices, and that the Si was for you.
One of my Ex's hated my 2010 Speed 3 when we were together, I straight up told her, hey Its my car my choice, it's what I wanted and what makes me happy, I don't bring up your things that annoy or bother me, (There Tons of things BTW I didn't say that out loud) I just accept it as that's who you are, and move on, could you extend me that courtesy?
Well she's an EX for a reason, but it wasn't the car that ended it, but it opened my eyes to how much we give and take in a relationship, and that it should NEVER be one sided.
I really miss that Speed3 and almost never think about her.
hope this helps

YvesSaintJan

First Name
Jansen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
The GF has to understand you are a package deal , everything about you including your choice of car is part of you. You can be as accommodating and understanding with her, BUT that door swings both ways. She also has to understand you and your choices, and that the Si was for you.
One of my Ex's hated my 2010 Speed 3 when we were together, I straight up told her, hey Its my car my choice, it's what I wanted and what makes me happy, I don't bring up your things that annoy or bother me, (There Tons of things BTW I didn't say that out loud) I just accept it as that's who you are, and move on, could you extend me that courtesy?
Well she's an EX for a reason, but it wasn't the car that ended it, but it opened my eyes to how much we give and take in a relationship, and that it should NEVER be one sided.
I really miss that Speed3 and almost never think about her.
hope this helps
YES

aaaaah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't think the Si has a stiff ride at all ?

My wife prefers the Si to my old 235 because the clutch pedal is lighter, with a shorter throw and both the ride height and seat height are higher.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I could not agree more about your 2nd and 4th point.. Although this is my first manual car.. Shifting this car smoothly CONSISTENTLY is hard. I've ran this by multiple people so I know its not just us..(makes me feel better..LOL)
I have no trouble shifting smoothly in mine even with a RMM. ?‍♂

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
All these people saying get a new gf because she doesn’t like your car hahaha only on a car forum ?
Funny thing is if it came down to it, my car or my relationship, car stays. My car is also much cheaper to maintain ?
Sponsored