Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So can’t tell people it’s fine to tune as if there’s no risk at all.
Feel free to check my profile and tune post history. I always talk about risk/reward in term of tuning. If someone asks me is tuning guaranteed risk free, I'd say no. If someone has anxieties about warranty, I'd say don't do it.

But for most that are considering tuning, I feel confident recommending a base tune. Folks need to understand that they can't get behind on maintenance and have to know there are limits to how far you can go (power-wise) before things go boom...

I'm sure you're correct that most failures have happened to tuned vehicles. But most were abused in some way. Even using an Injen intake and not checking fuel trims or adjusting the MAF curve accordingly is a kind of abuse.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
JDMpo0kie

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Sounds like Driver B was trying to see what it takes to blow an si engine.
He didn’t. His son drove. He doesn’t race unless it’s his 1,380hp AWD EG hatch or when him and I went at it in his Type R

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Never go full ethanol on this platform :banghead:

Had to show a veloster who's boss last week. I was on my winter boost map, only 15psi. Still left it in the dust.
On a related note, 1000 miles in on the new built block :spaz:
Was this an N? Because even a stock Si can take on the the regular 2.0T. Anyway I have no doubt that you can probably dust an N, especially now that you are built!

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
Anything over stage 1 is asking for trouble on a stock 1.5 motor. The motor is the size of one you'd find on a lawn mower. Sooner or later somethings going to break. Even on the stage 1 tune map 3 your clutch could start slipping with 275lbs + of tq. If you want to go really fast, build the car up for it. Upgrade fuel delivery and beef up the internals. That's just my opinion on running stage 2 and such

Last edited:

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Was this an N? Because even a stock Si can take on the the regular 2.0T. Anyway I have no doubt that you can probably dust an N, especially now that you are built!
I didn't take note xD it was 11pm and it was a black veloster. Boost controller wasn't even re-installed. I was just running on the spring pressure off the Wastegate.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Those damn Altima drivers :rofl:
Lately I've been running into some really a-holey Honda drivers as well. Coming home from SoCal on Thursday, some guy in a 10th Gen Civic was holding up the left lane of the two lane highway 5 about 200 miles from Northern Cal. Whenever anyone behind him tried to change lanes and pass him, he would speed up enough to catch up with slower traffic on the right so no one could pass him. He had a line of 20 angry drivers behind him. I was in front of him, so I could see this from my rear view mirror. Under my breadth I said "I wonder if this a-hole is on CivicX". My wife who was half asleep thought I was talking to her, but I was actually talking to myself.

I have seen this at least a few more times with several other Honda drivers ranging from Civic's to Accords. Today someone in a Honda Sport (I believe the 2.4L) was tailgating me on the freeway while I was in the right lane, and when we were approaching the off ramp, he tried to go around me in a merge lane, but I thought I would show him what a 3.5L looks like, and well let's just say he never made it past me. When we got off the freeway he was to my left, he didn't even make eye contact with me, floored it at the light. I let him have his victory. I guess the difference between him and the Altima driver is the Altima driver would have given me the finger

Muscleman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rigby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
Way more info needed. I almost guarantee he abused the ride or wasn't keeping his eye on datalogs. With bolt ons and Stage 2 you HAVE TO monitor things.
You always seem to be defending ktuner tunes and tsp when their tunes blow up something...so what when someone got the tunes they're supposed to drive like a old granny....getting the tune in the first place in because you want more power which of course means you're gonna push the gas pedal harder...but according to u when you buy these tunes your supposed to floor it once a year

Muscleman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rigby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
Never go full ethanol on this platform :banghead:

Had to show a veloster who's boss last week. I was on my winter boost map, only 15psi. Still left it in the dust.
On a related note, 1000 miles in on the new built block :spaz:
Great story

Muscleman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rigby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
And that's essentially what a lot of us non-Si guys have done. For the CVT, KTuner, not Hondata is the best choice. There are so many quick adjustments that allow you to compensate for the slow CVT response and lag. It really is night and day over stock, even in everyday driving. Plus knocking a second off your 0-60 time is nothing to sneeze at.
Well this cvt guy is having wastegate actuator problem that no one can fix

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You always seem to be defending ktuner tunes and tsp when their tunes blow up something...so what when someone got the tunes they're supposed to drive like a old granny....getting the tune in the first place in because you want more power which of course means you're gonna push the gas pedal harder...but according to u when you buy these tunes your supposed to floor it once a year
You'll have to show us some threads where a base Ktuner tune or TSP stage 1 tune with no bolt-on's blew a motor. Clutch, yes (using maps that boost above 22 psi), motor, no. I was tuned with TSP's stage 1 tune for a year and 17,000 miles. I drove it very hard, made multiple long distance drives etc. Never had a problem, and when I changed my oil at 7K two different times and sent them from analysis, only normal wear showed up in the oil analysis.

No one, and especially @gtman has said that tuning is 100 percent safe. He always gives a disclaimer. Tuning is for those who are willing to take a risk/reward approach. If one is not willing to take the risk, then one should not tune, which is perfectly OK

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Ridiculous comment and a total misrepresentation of what I post. Not worth even posting an intelligent response to you.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ridiculous comment and a total misrepresentation of what I post. Not worth even posting an intelligent response to you.
Ha ha we can add Muscleman to the "list"

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
You'll have to show us some threads where a base Ktuner tune or TSP stage 1 tune with no bolt-on's blew a motor. Clutch, yes (using maps that boost above 22 psi), motor, no. I was tuned with TSP's stage 1 tune for a year and 17,000 miles. I drove it very hard, made multiple long distance drives etc. Never had a problem, and when I changed my oil at 7K two different times and sent them from analysis, only normal wear showed up in the oil analysis.

No one, and especially @gtman has said that tuning is 100 percent safe. He always gives a disclaimer. Tuning is for those who are willing to take a risk/reward approach. If one is not willing to take the risk, then one should not tune, which is perfectly OK
Stage 1 is a nice jump from stock. Based on others experiences and dyno numbers. You'd never get 60-80lbs of tq on a stage 1 tune alone with the old vtecs. You'd have invest a lot of money. Chit I gotta pickup ktuner w stage 1 :thumbsup:

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I currently run Ktuner 21.5 psi basemap.

It seems that anytime someones engine blows, too many people on this forum want to immediately point the finger at the driver. Always claiming "theres more to the story".

You cannot always assume the driver was "abusing" his Si. I mean, what is your definition of abuse? Redlining it and driving it spiritedly on a regular basis? Because that doesn't sound like abuse to me, that sounds like the way an Si is supposed to be driven. And as I have said before, as well as another member pointed out in this thread, it makes no sense at all to get your car tuned only to drive it like its a Corolla.

It is a small 1.5L engine with relatively weak rods. It was not designed to handle much more boost than Honda tuned it for.

Literally every single blown engine thread the Si was tuned. There's an obvious correlation. In the least, it is obvious that tuning your car increases the chances of the engine blowing. There are many people on stock tunes who "abuse" their Si everyday, and their not throwing rods through their blocks.

Muscleman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rigby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag

No one, and especially @gtman has said that tuning is 100 percent safe. He always gives a disclaimer. Tuning is for those who are willing to take a risk/reward approach. If one is not willing, then one should not tune
Just because you didn't blew shit up doesn't mean the tunes ar
There's nothing for you to respond because I hit you with facts you have nothing to say because I hit you with some truth....and I I remember there was a guy who complains about he's not making any boobs with the base ktuner tunes and he uploaded a bunch of datalogs here and ktuner was saying something about his electronic wastegate but he claimed he took it to multiple places and the shops said nothing was wrong with the wastegate now I'm having a similar situation where I'm overshooting boost and the ecu is closing the throttle to 70% now I emailed ktuner and they saying the same thing except it's the wastegate actuator so yeah and yes I have a lot of muscle too
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.