Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Never go full ethanol on this platform :banghead:

Had to show a veloster who's boss last week. I was on my winter boost map, only 15psi. Still left it in the dust.
On a related note, 1000 miles in on the new built block :spaz:
Sponsored

OP
OP
JDMpo0kie

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

Had to show a veloster who's boss last week. I was on my winter boost map, only 15psi. Still left it in the dust.
You have forged pistons and rods now?

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
This thread is more like lessons learned. I’ve heard stories from my older brother a mechanic and machinist about blown engines and it was always the same they would modify one part of the engine and not the other which results in failure yes this was years ago non computerized engines but it just as the same. I myself is considering a Ktuner/ Hondata not to blow everybody off the roads but to bring my ET turbo up to a stock SI’s
Performance not saying the Ex is slow ( personally I think it’s pretty quick) but just to get rid of that lag the CVT has

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I myself is considering a Ktuner/ Hondata not to blow everybody off the roads but to bring my ET turbo up to a stock SI’s
Performance not saying the Ex is slow ( personally I think it’s pretty quick) but just to get rid of that lag the CVT has
And that's essentially what a lot of us non-Si guys have done. For the CVT, KTuner, not Hondata is the best choice. There are so many quick adjustments that allow you to compensate for the slow CVT response and lag. It really is night and day over stock, even in everyday driving. Plus knocking a second off your 0-60 time is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
And that's essentially what a lot of us non-Si guys have done. For the CVT, KTuner, not Hondata is the best choice. There are so many quick adjustments that allow you to compensate for the slow CVT response and lag. It really is night and day over stock, even in everyday driving. Plus knocking off a second your 0-60 time is nothing to sneeze at.
Then KTuner it is. I’ve read many post on this forum including yours and a large percentage of them talk about ktuner I rarely read about hondata. I’ll do more research on Ktuner I’m sure in the near future I’ll have one but unfortunately I’m going to need new tires the Florida roads tear them up. Thanks for the info
I’m sure I’ll be posting questions when I get a Ktuner

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag

why do you have a map only pushing 15psi? just to stay really conservative?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
He lives up in Maine. My guess is he deals with a bunch of snow and is trying to keep power down for winter.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Yup. Winter in maine sucks. I turned it up to 23psi and my winter tires would just spin. I was running 34psi from a gtx2860r, in the summer.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
So how long did he run straight e85 for?

Without proper fueling setup one cannot run high ethanol content fuels and deliver same fuel safely. Hondata released fueling upgrade for CTR allegedly proper for straight e85, but it isnt cheap at $2.8K.

Obtaining a proper blend paired to an appropriate tune is the way to go.
This failure isnt likely due to ethanol inasmuch as it is likely due to improper application of it.

Another thing, sadly we will hear about failures more often than people chiming in to say “oh btw, im on a flex tune for 25-50k and no issues.” Ppl tend to post issues, not to report when things are great. So this is a red herring/exception kind of a post in my opinion rather than the rule out there necessarily.

OP
OP
JDMpo0kie

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So how long did he run straight e85 for?

Without proper fueling setup one cannot run high ethanol content fuels and deliver same fuel safely. Hondata released fueling upgrade for CTR allegedly proper for straight e85, but it isnt cheap at $2.8K.

Obtaining a proper blend paired to an appropriate tune is the way to go.
This failure isnt likely due to ethanol inasmuch as it is likely due to improper application of it.

Another thing, sadly we will hear about failures more often than people chiming in to say “oh btw, im on a flex tune for 25-50k and no issues.” Ppl tend to post issues, not to report when things are great. So this is a red herring/exception kind of a post in my opinion rather than the rule out there necessarily.
Driver B ran full E for 2 years until it blew. But the car was like 32 psi stock turbo with the ac on flooring it uphill. But never had any problems. It’s the luck of the draw with these higher power tunes and ethanol. Not sure how long my other buddy ran full E. He switched a lot. I try to post as many issues so myself and others can learn.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ppl tend to post issues, not to report when things are great. So this is a red herring/exception kind of a post in my opinion rather than the rule out there necessarily.
Flex, I want you to read what you wrote above over and over. Then, apply that truth the next time you and Mark11 generalize in negativity regarding tuning in one of the failure threads.

Sure, tuning stresses things. But driven without abuse and maintained and monitored properly, most base tuned cars hold up well. The CivicX tuning reliability survey here backs that up.

Yes, you're absolutely right. If things go well we generally don't hear about it.

The other important truth here is that our 1.5T engines and transmissions can only sustain so much stress. People shooting for ultimate hp and especially torque run into a much higher percentage of issues.

Last edited:

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
@gtman my only negative comments are ever only directed to people who say “do this and not this and you will be fine” in regards to tuning. As if there is a proven method that is guaranteed to work.

It’s rather simple, when tuning things up one increases chances of things going wrong and blowing up. But that isn’t to say that tuning will blow up one’s engine either. So it’s the extremes on both ends what I have issues with — ethanol/injen blows your engines vs basic Boltons and a tune are safe.

That and when these cars blow, the most common thread usually is that it’s tuned first and foremost. We can argue semantics, and who did what or parts causing issues, but it starts w it being tuned. So can’t tell people it’s fine to tune as if there’s no risk at all.

Last edited:

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I drive in Map 3 and Sport mode all of the time, but for the most part I'm just cruising. I simply want to be there in case I want to punch it to its core. Now, I haven't gone WOT yet because I'm not ready to invest in a new clutch right now, but I like the power it puts out in that map regardless. Hopefully it doesn't mess with my engine too much doing so.

Hey all, when we get our oil change and they do the 30-point check thing, is there some sort of instrument that checks things like the rods and injectors in our systems? Or would we have do have that done elsehow? (I know that's not a word lol)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.