Not open for further replies.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On the TSP Stage 2 tune, it is recommended you run an E35 blend for best performance and reliability. Running full E85 can potentially cause detonation. These cars aren’t equipped to handle full E85.

I’ve been running TSP Stage 2 for about 15k miles sticking w the recommended amount of ethanol and she’s been running like a champ. I keep her in check and she’s mechanically sound. I don’t always run ethanol though. Personally, I run full 93 for a few weeks at a time, then tinker w E35 for a week or so to have some fun.
Hope I have the same luck as you do when I jump to Stage 2
Sponsored

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah E85 on stock injectors... that's just asking for trouble. Hell you can misfire with just E30, even premium 93. These injectors are the weak point of the engine.

As soon as we get some aftermarket options for injectors I'm jumping on that asap.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
With the stock injectors running full E85 is well beyond foolish. This isn’t a “rinse and repeat” situation. Simply, rinse and do it right the next time.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
^ No doubt. High ethanol seems to be an issue especially with these higher power tunes.

It also bugs me when people's topic titles sort of make it seems as though the tune (TSP in this case) was the culprit. There always is way more to the story.
Honda Civic 10th gen My friend blew his motor on TSP stage 2 Movies Psychos quote car

Last edited:

Szn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI
Country flag
Yes he told me he was running full E85. I just found out. But also read the post. Didn’t say it WAS the tune. I simply describe what tune he was on just because I know that a lot of people want to go stage 2 And just tell you what could potentially happen no matter how conservative stage 2 is. Ya running full E will cause issues but I was on E36 on Tsp stage 2 and it blew.
Honda Civic 10th gen My friend blew his motor on TSP stage 2 qj9c72vqcm5z

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
pookie wasnt running full e85, and his engine blew..
No offense but there was way more to that story. Go back and read his blown engine thread.

I'm 100% convinced that base tunes, done right, driven, monitored and maintained properly will do fine.

Push the power too far, abuse them, neglect to monitor fuel trims and other early warnings, and you've got problems.

Szn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI
Country flag
pookie wasnt running full e85, and his engine blew..
If I'm not mistaken, he was running an Injen intake, a West Coast Boom Tune, and a combination of other things prior to switching to the TSP2 map.

@JDMpo0kie Can you post a quick summary of events leading up to the engine failure brah?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If memory serves he was constantly street racing, had bad fuel trims with the Injen, using E85 from time to time and was pushing way too much power on the stock internals.

To me, it's almost always a similar story with the catastrophic failures. It's mostly not the guys running base tunes and driving aggressively from time to time having these issues.

That's why I'm trying to get as many tuned CivicX'ers adding a tuning reliability survey. That way we can compile some real useful data.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JDMpo0kie

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Aren't we NOT suppose to run full E85 and run a blend only even on KTuner/Hondata/TSP maps?

Speaking of which, if the injectors are to blame here, maybe @Hondata will make some injectors for the 1.5 platform like they did for the Type-R.[/QUOTE
On the TSP Stage 2 tune, it is recommended you run an E35 blend for best performance and reliability. Running full E85 can potentially cause detonation. These cars aren’t equipped to handle full E85.

I’ve been running TSP Stage 2 for about 15k miles sticking w the recommended amount of ethanol and she’s been running like a champ. I keep her in check and she’s mechanically sound. I don’t always run ethanol though. Personally, I run full 93 for a few weeks at a time, then tinker w E35 for a week or so to have some fun.
If I'm not mistaken, he was running an Injen intake, a West Coast Boom Tune, and a combination of other things prior to switching to the TSP2 map.

@JDMpo0kie Can you post a quick summary of events leading up to the engine failure brah?
@gtman is right. There was a lot going on with my car. I didn’t have ktuner and didn’t know how to monitor my fuel trims. I had + 9 psi for a year and a half and ran my car hard every single day. When I finally got built and tuned with ethanol, problems started arising. But I think it boiled down to my injectors failing and had no idea what was causing my sputters and break up at higher loads. After blowing my motor I did a lot of research in hot to monitor al those things and now I keep an eye on it with my ktuner. Definitely not running ethanol on this car until a better fuel system comes out or until I get a car where I can upgrade injectors and not worry about any of this stuff.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@gtman is right. There was a lot going on with my car. I didn’t have ktuner and didn’t know how to monitor my fuel trims. I had + 9 psi for a year and a half and ran my car hard every single day. When I finally got built and tuned with ethanol, problems started arising. But I think it boiled down to my injectors failing and had no idea what was causing my sputters and break up at higher loads. After blowing my motor I did a lot of research in hot to monitor al those things and now I keep an eye on it with my ktuner. Definitely not running ethanol on this car until a better fuel system comes out or until I get a car where I can upgrade injectors and not worry about any of this stuff.
I have to give a thumbs up to how up front JDMpo0kie has been regarding his tuning "adventures". I know we all appreciate the honesty. :thumbsup:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I have to give a thumbs up to how up front JDMpo0kie has been regarding his tuning "adventures". I know we all appreciate the honesty. :thumbsup:
Po0kie's a solid guy, I met him in, was it October? This was after his new engine was installed. I do admit I miss that BMW humiliation machine. But you know what they say about burning a candle at both ends...

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Even on nothing but a TSP Stage 1 and stage 1 intake setup, I've humiliated a bunch of drivers on my commutes.

I don't street race per se, but I have my brief "mini-adventures". They go like this...

Dude in "car A" sees my car and starts speeding up to pass me on the highway. "I'll show that wannabe in the lame ass Civic". Well sometimes I'm not in the mood, but sometimes I need to stand up for the tuned CivicX'ers of the world.

And almost always it unfolds like this...

I give it about 1/2 throttle to catch up. When we're side by side, I nail it and pull away relatively easily depending on the competition. Then, I quickly slow back down, satisfied that another over-confident driver (Elantra Sport, GTI, asshole in an Altima etc.) bit the dust and under-estimated my "lowly Civic". :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.