First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just had my left rear tire give out on me, low tire pressure warning light came on, didnt think much of because it recently got super cold, drove around on it for like 1 hour on the highway and as soon i merged onto an exit, my left side started rumbling like crazy and i knew exactly what had happened, i pulled over to my tire completely off the rim, had the car towed to a honda dealership around 4pm on a Saturday, asked if they could fix it for me, they said they’d have to order it because they dont have it and it would come in on tuesday, my saturday everyone.

Honda Civic 10th gen My flat tire D3EE5E29-94DC-491F-B0B7-18A5245C8D55

Honda Civic 10th gen My flat tire 2C0FD464-DC28-4E4E-A590-2CFCB171E5F3

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
So the TPMS light came on, which is the system designed to warn you before it becomes a catastrophic tire failure due to low pressure, and you ignore the light and drive anyway?

I hope the cost of a new tire is enough of a lesson. Fortunately it doesnt look like the wheel took any damage.

SiGeddy

First Name
Geddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
So the TPMS light came on, which is the system designed to warn you before it becomes a catastrophic tire failure due to low pressure, and you ignore the light and drive anyway?

I hope the cost of a new tire is enough of a lesson. Fortunately it doesnt look like the wheel took any damage.
I mean... my tpms lights been on since it's gotten cold and my tire pressures good on all 4. So I can see why

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
I mean... my tpms lights been on since it's gotten cold and my tire pressures good on all 4. So I can see why
Did you know, when your TPMS triggers due to elevation change or weather change. You can calibrate the TPMS... So had you just calibrated too cold weather you probably wouldve realized how serious that warning light is.

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
It sounds like you actually bothered to make sure your pressures were okay when the light came on?

If it were a direct TPMS system like in my Cruze, it would have made sense to switch to the pressure reading screen and take a glance at the pressures to decide if it's worth stopping or not.

Since we don't have that luxury in the Civic, the prudent course of action would be to check the pressures as soon as reasonably possible if the warning comes on.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, anytime you get a decent temperature drop, tire pressure drops. By the time that light comes on, the tire is pretty low like as in 8 lbs+ the recommended.

That sucks on the tire. I hit a pothole right before Christmas. Waited 3 hours to get towed to Honda, bent the rim, needed two tires, and had to wait for them to get them like you.

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
Interesting, I don't have any experience with this yet. In my Mini Cooper it would tell me what tire was low. And you had to check because it used run flat tires. And you can't tell if they are flat. Even kicking them they appear good. But I always had to reset due to cold weather. One Honda Dealership said they don't use air in the tires? Something else and that it was not susceptible to temperature changes. I recall that when I did the test drive. Not sure if that is true or better.

From the looks in the manual it does not offer much advice - just a warning. https://owners.honda.com Video shows how to reset but really? Must drive for 30 minutes at speeds 30 - 60 MPH. I used to reset my Mini Cooper S Coupe just driving in the neighborhood around to the cup-de-sac.

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Interesting, I don't have any experience with this yet. In my Mini Cooper it would tell me what tire was low. And you had to check because it used run flat tires. And you can't tell if they are flat. Even kicking them they appear good. But I always had to reset due to cold weather. One Honda Dealership said they don't use air in the tires? Something else and that it was not susceptible to temperature changes. I recall that when I did the test drive. Not sure if that is true or better.

From the looks in the manual it does not offer much advice - just a warning. https://owners.honda.com Video shows how to reset but really? Must drive for 30 minutes at speeds 30 - 60 MPH. I used to reset my Mini Cooper S Coupe just driving in the neighborhood around to the cup-de-sac.

It's Nitrogen which is common on vehicles now a days. It's BS and hardly any better. Just another thing for dealerships to upsell.
Believe me I worked for Cadillac for 7yrs.

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
Yeah, that was it. Nitrogen. They said if I got a flat to bring the car back and they would replace the air. One could tell me it was a better ride but I doubt I could tell the difference. In the end I will pay close attention to TPMS. Especially since I do not have run flat tires. They can go some 80 miles on a flat. But a set for the car is like $1,300. I'll take the small spare in the trunk.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's Nitrogen which is common on vehicles now a days. It's BS and hardly any better. Just another thing for dealerships to upsell.
Believe me I worked for Cadillac for 7yrs.
Always good for drama though. Air is 78% nitrogen already. I love how people will go ape and tell you how much better nitrogen is.

2018 Si FireFighter

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, 2010 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you know, when your TPMS triggers due to elevation change or weather change. You can calibrate the TPMS... So had you just calibrated too cold weather you probably wouldve realized how serious that warning light is.
I don’t know if it’s standard with Honda but my dealer doesn’t inflate tires with normal compressed air. They use nitrogen which isn’t supposed to be effected by cold or hot temperatures.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
The warning light always comes on whenever I make the 360 mile trip between Northern California and SoCal. It always comes on on my way back around the same area...hwy 152 when I get into a city called Gilroy. It's very difficult to pull over as this is a 2 lane highway, once you pull over it is near impossible to get back on the road as cars and trucks are driving extremely fast, so if I don't feel anything unusual I will wait till I get nearer to the 101 freeway, pull over and do a quick check of the tires then recalibrate. This has already happened 5 times in a row. The warning light will not come on until my next trip, same place, same channel!

wickerbill

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2002 Honda S2000
Country flag
I don’t know if it’s standard with Honda but my dealer doesn’t inflate tires with normal compressed air. They use nitrogen which isn’t supposed to be effected by cold or hot temperatures.
That’s BS. All air is affected by temperature. Air is mostly nitrogen anyways.