My first speeding ticket...

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
So I've been riding for about a year now on my motorcycle, and I've never received so much as a parking ticket (okay maybe once...). Today I was pulled over not on my bike, but in my family's minivan ffs by a NY state trooper. I knew I was getting a ticket the second he demanded LICENSE AND REGISTRATION at my window. Anyone have any experiences with NY speeding tickets? Will prosecutor be lenient on a clean record 19 year old? :oops:

Thanks
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
NY is weird with the way they assess driving violations. They don't tell you the value of the ticket and make you go to court to determine the fine.

I used to have a lot of work travel in Buffalo, NY and my GF lived in Toronto at the time. She once got a ticket in Buffalo on the way to see me didn't know what to do. I just paid for a lawyer to represent her in the court. It was like $400-500 but well worth it. You don't even have to go to court - the lawyer goes for you. And they guarantee that they'll beat the ticket or you get your retainer fee refunded back. I'd rather pay the $400-500 once for that service than to pay $200-500 for a speeding ticket and then have a higher insurance for years... $0.02

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Second post #2 - Yesterday just got rate increase (lost safe driver credit (in MA) for 6 years) due to an alleged speeding ticket on the TSP. No less than a NY State Trooper said if I pleaded guilty and paid court fine/costs ($183) it would not be reported to anyone. He wrote it as "disobeyed traffic control device". That was in Feb 2019 - MA insurance surcharge arrived yesterday!
FIGHT IT if you're not guilty.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Its gonna be alright man. Just need to learn when to speed up and when to go with the flow of traffic. Your story actually brought back memories for me as i got 2 accident and 4 tickets between 19 to 22.

Habanero

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX. 2012 G25
Country flag
Prosecutor lol. Most places I have lived allow you to take traffic school as an option. You still have to pay the fine but the ticket won’t go on your record and affect your insurance rates I dunno about NY tho.

ATX_Si

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe (gone). 2018 Accord EX-L 1.5t (gone) 2020 Audi Q3 S-Line. 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
Country flag
plead not guilty. show up. yes sir, no sir, im sorry sir. they'll probably offer you to take defensive driving and pay a fine for a parking ticket. I was 20 when I got my first one for going 18 over in a 30 in NY and I paid $125 or something and went on my way.

OP
OP

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Prosecutor lol. Most places I have lived allow you to take traffic school as an option. You still have to pay the fine but the ticket won’t go on your record and affect your insurance rates I dunno about NY tho.
What do you mean lol?

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
So I've been riding for about a year now on my motorcycle, and I've never received so much as a parking ticket (okay maybe once...). Today I was pulled over not on my bike, but in my family's minivan ffs by a NY state trooper. I knew I was getting a ticket the second he demanded LICENSE AND REGISTRATION at my window. Anyone have any experiences with NY speeding tickets? Will prosecutor be lenient on a clean record 19 year old? :oops:

Thanks
Trying to fight it depends on how much you were speeding by. If its not much they could be lenient but if it was way over they might not be.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its gonna be alright man. Just need to learn when to speed up and when to go with the flow of traffic. Your story actually brought back memories for me as i got 2 accident and 4 tickets between 19 to 22.
Brought memories back for me too lol, 5 tickets and license suspension between 17-19. You live and learn

But like @arpypat said definitely just look into a lawyer to represent you. I actually got my first speeding ticket in 4 years this past summer in New York. The lawyer I hired said her tactic is to keep pushing the court date back until they get a "nice" judge that tends to be a little more lenient.
Sponsored