My first gripe with the Type R (likely all new Civics)

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R (Rallye Red), 2002 RSX-S (shell)
Country flag
Stupid instrument lens design attracts dust!

I have owned several Hondas and Acuras starting with my '81 Accord purchased new. In every one of them, the lens or window over the instruments is angled with the top towards you. This prevents dust from settling on the lens. Since the area between the instruments and the gauge is sealed, the lens will remain dust free. I have had ten-year-old cars where the instrument lens is perfectly clear and never needed cleaning.

I just assumed that Honda, with their attention to detail, had a design checklist that designers must adhere to. They failed on this one. While you can easily clean the lens, it is plastic and easily scratched. There will just be more dust on it the next day.
Sponsored

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Keep a microfiber cloth in your car to wipe the dash panels. My car gets covered in gravel dust at work and I still don't really have a dust problem in the interior, the only big place is the head unit

OP
OP
knavekid

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R (Rallye Red), 2002 RSX-S (shell)
Country flag
That is your first gripe?
Well, having only having it a few weeks and coming from a 2002 RSX Type-S with 250K miles on it, almost everything about the CTR is a step up.

There are other issues that can be resolved or corrected, but this particular issue will remain for the life of the car.

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
I guess I'm so used to it from my '00 EM1 I don't notice it anymore lol

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
On my 2019 CTR the instrument / dash plastic was scratched when I got it. Only visible under certain lighting conditions, but I know it's there. Not worth going to the stealership unless something else goes wrong. By scratched I mean 1 tiny horizontal line on left lens and myriad swirl scratches where the dealer "cleaned" and "prepped" it after the gas guys likely hooned the shit out of it.