First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
haha. What you said here is the reason why I always tell my friends to do a track day BEFORE modding their car.

I've been fortunate enough to have been a part of some epic platforms and I always see people blowing their paycheck to mod their cars. But they never stop to think about ... for what? lol. Is it going to make you faster? If so, by how much? Oftentimes, people are just modding just so that they can go on some weird dick measuring contest.

Also, I always hear about people being scared to track. This is something I actually don't try to change. It's GOOD to be scared bc being scared means you're being more careful. I once had a track instructor that told me, "learning how to drive on a track is like learning how to get to the edge of a cliff without falling off. You want to run and then WALK SLOWLY up to the edge." That really resonated with me and over time I've realized a lot of fast guys weren't just fast from the get go. It took a lot of time, effort, and experience to get to where they are.

Anyways. It sounds like you've got a good head on shoulders. Just remember the fundamentals of being a "good" track driver and you'll be fine.

Well said. And while part of me thinks man, I wasted money buying mods - I didn't. It's a hobby, just like collecting trains, or vinyl, or what have you. Sometimes the journey, the modding, the tweaking - pointless as it may be in the grand scheme of things - is still a huge part of being engaged within it. Now, that titanium intake pipe that looks incredibly rad? I want it less now because I want to invest a little in better brakes (just pads, lines, fluid - nothing crazy) so it's still modding, but I mean there's nothing wrong with upping brake capacity :D

And you're absolutely right about being "scared." It's a good thing. I didn't think it was going in or coming out but thinking back - I'd much, much rather go into it scared than overconfident. Now I was overconfident that I would be able to pick it up more quickly than I did but that's no big deal, that's just learning.

And now i"m watching videos of people who ran yesterday and it's all so fresh in my head. Now I want to go back sooner, lol!
Sponsored

hitch

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Country flag
Great great read here. I'm booking in my first track day with my Type R here in Australia, feeling very much the same in the lead-up.

What you wrote rings so true, a standard average car can easily be faster than a modded up car if the driver hits every apex and knows exactly when to brake and turn!

Deciding where to spend the next dollar also becomes important after you notice how much strain your brakes are under when on track, and keeping the car cool.

Thanks for sharing ;)

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If your nervous on tracking your car, then definitely buy track insurance for that peace of mind. I started doing HPDE two years ago and I was in the same shoes as you, super nervous and scared but once I got over the first session it was exciting. Since then my S2000 has transitioned from a road warrior to a track car. Eventually I will take the CTR to the track but then I know i'll fall in love with it on the track. Since your in Doylestown PA, that's pretty close to Pocono and also NJMP. I suggest you go on MotorsportReg website and look for some Porsche Club America (PCA) events out there. I'll be at an event on 6/21-6/23 at NJMP with PCA RTR, come out and enjoy the track.
How much does track insurance usually run? Also, how much does it cost usually to have an instructor ride with you and teach you the basics?

OP
OP
toddrhodes

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How much does track insurance usually run? Also, how much does it cost usually to have an instructor ride with you and teach you the basics?
For this event, the instructor was $50 and insurance was $250. Money well spent, IMO.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For this event, the instructor was $50 and insurance was $250. Money well spent, IMO.
Oh that’s far cheaper than I expected it would be. How does it work? Surely they wouldn’t provide for a brand new car if you totaled yours at the track, would they?

OP
OP
toddrhodes

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh that’s far cheaper than I expected it would be. How does it work? Surely they wouldn’t provide for a brand new car if you totaled yours at the track, would they?
I opted for the 15% deductible so you'd still be out of pocket quite a bit, but far and away not the entire car. I went through Haggerty for insurance. You give them the car and any mods you want covered (I covered FMIC and wheels) and then that adds up to a total insured value. Based on that value, the type of event, and the deductible option you choose (10 or 15%), they give you a price. I don't remember but I think it can span multiple days if the event is lengthy enough.

licelsior

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW, 2003 S2000
Country flag
OP
OP
toddrhodes

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So a buddy of mine just texted me to inform me he's a member out at Audobahn in Chicago, and I am welcome to come run with him anytime, no charge. I can purchase time with an instructor as well, so it looks like hopefully sooner than later, I can get back at it. I still have two more days I can do with CGI but being able to run with a buddy and do so without much traffic would be awesome.

moonman

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R GT (FK8, 2018)
Country flag
Todd, which rubbers did you use on track? OEM? I think those are Continental something SportContact 6?
After racing my old CRX for 10 years or so I'm hesitating to track my new CTR. Three times the power, several hundred kilograms more weight, 30 years of technical evolution. Huuuge rims, huuge brakes. I have no idea if those Continental tires survive one trackday in Dijon (France). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijon-Prenois
I think the start-finish line is 1km or more. The CRX got to 180-190km/h but the CTR will probably make it to 240-250km/h. So, that's a whole new world to me....

OP
OP
toddrhodes

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Todd, which rubbers did you use on track? OEM? I think those are Continental something SportContact 6?
After racing my old CRX for 10 years or so I'm hesitating to track my new CTR. Three times the power, several hundred kilograms more weight, 30 years of technical evolution. Huuuge rims, huuge brakes. I have no idea if those Continental tires survive one trackday in Dijon (France). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijon-Prenois
I think the start-finish line is 1km or more. The CRX got to 180-190km/h but the CTR will probably make it to 240-250km/h. So, that's a whole new world to me....
Hi Fabian, I am running 18" wheels with 255/40-18 Michelin PS4S tires and they held up well. I never tracked the stock Contis but from what I remember, they are fine for awhile but once they get a little overheated they do get a little greasy out on track so from that, I'd wager you'd want to do at most 2 hot laps, then a cooldown lap on a big circuit. The track I ran on was on the smaller side, very technical, and it was a cool day so temps never really got hot on any part of the car.

moonman

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok, I have 18s in winter and 20s OEM in summer. I want to keep my CTR stock including the wheels. I'm too old for all that tuning stuff :)
Either those 20s work on track or I won't do tracking at all. But I could change the rubber if necessary.

OP
OP
toddrhodes

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, I have 18s in winter and 20s OEM in summer. I want to keep my CTR stock including the wheels. I'm too old for all that tuning stuff :)
Either those 20s work on track or I won't do tracking at all. But I could change the rubber if necessary.
Nothing wrong with the stock wheels outside the fact that they are on the heavy side. But I'd put 245/35 or 255/35 PS4S tires on them and track the heck out of it when you're done with the stock 30 series Contis. The 30 series tires are really what's "wrong" with the stock setup. The stock wheels may be a bit on the fragile side but that's compounded greatly by having rubber bands on them from the factory. Otherwise, no big deal.

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
You're better off just switching to a set of 18's. The tire savings will probably pay for the wheels themselves. haha.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Glad to see Type R owners tracking their cars! How's the insurance work nowadays? When I stopped going was around the time insurance companies stopped covering track days, at least in my state. Do you need track insurance to get coverage?

moonman

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're better off just switching to a set of 18's. The tire savings will probably pay for the wheels themselves. haha.
Which size, width, offset etc. would you guys recommend for tracking?
I could think about a set of trackday rims, only. Including slicks. Tracking the CRX, the most fun upgrade were slicks.
Sponsored