My First 3 Days With Civic Touring

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
I've driven some pretty powerful cars. This Civic does not disappoint me. Boosting and shifting don't exactly work like that in this car...

I was testing ACC at low speeds this morning. Sent a note to Honda Customer Service about it's performance. When the car in front of me braked and turned off, my car stopped. And took several seconds to accelerate again. Not a huge issue, but I came up behind a semi at 70kph at the next intersection.

I was two car lengths behind it when I decided the car was NOT going to stop... So much for CMBS, let alone ACC...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Molatte

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I've driven some pretty powerful cars. This Civic does not disappoint me. Boosting and shifting don't exactly work like that in this car...

I was testing ACC at low speeds this morning. Sent a note to Honda Customer Service about it's performance. When the car in front of me braked and turned off, my car stopped. And took several seconds to accelerate again. Not a huge issue, but I came up behind a semi at 70kph at the next intersection.

I was two car lengths behind it when I decided the car was NOT going to stop... So much for CMBS, let alone ACC...
From what I know, driving aggressively BEFORE braking it in will allow the ECU to be accustomed to our driving style and will adjust the necessary RPMs and whatnot for AFTER we brake in - this is why I constantly hard accelerate and whatnot so I don't have a snail of a car with turbo when I brake it in. Now I don't have to accelerate or put my foot down deep in throttle like I use to and the car is often trying to boost itself, lol.

I guess the next thing for me to do is get a reflash of the ECU + KN&N Air Filter and an intake.

I wouldn't mess with the ACC. Cruise Control has been known to dumb the car down, performance wise.

Should I change oil? I'm at 700 or so miles and my oil life is still 90% (this would replace the original oil that came with factory)

Last edited:

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
I drove very conservatively during the break-in phase. Hasn't seemed to have affected power delivery. It's quite peppy, even with mild throttle inputs. Even cruise control isn't mild with acceleration or braking. I'm going to wait at least a couple of years before upgrading the exhaust, intake and tune. I'm thinking there will be quite a few changes by then, and hopefully lower prices!

As for the oil, I'll wait until the computer tells me to change it. Wouldn't hurt anything to just change it, but I expect it would be mostly wasteful.

n00b Gr3n4d3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 1.5 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I drove very conservatively during the break-in phase. Hasn't seemed to have affected power delivery. It's quite peppy, even with mild throttle inputs. Even cruise control isn't mild with acceleration or braking. I'm going to wait at least a couple of years before upgrading the exhaust, intake and tune. I'm thinking there will be quite a few changes by then, and hopefully lower prices!

As for the oil, I'll wait until the computer tells me to change it. Wouldn't hurt anything to just change it, but I expect it would be mostly wasteful.
See, this is the problem i have with the break in guidelines for Honda...first 600 miles avoid sudden accelaration. What does that mean? I have 1700 kms on mine and managed to keep rpms below 3000 for the most part but sometimes merging onto the highway you need to step on it a little more. I tried to keep my "break in" period with regular use rpms bellow 2500, and ocassionally (a handful of times just below4000) but i just don't know what their sudden accelaration means. Same with the sudden breaking, it happened a handfull of times where i really needed to stop since the car in front stopped (minimum 3 car following distance, and slowing down from 100 kph to a stop) i wish their guidelines for break in would be like for their motorcycles...precise and methodical

frankd53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
See, this is the problem i have with the break in guidelines for Honda...first 600 miles avoid sudden accelaration. What does that mean? I have 1700 kms on mine and managed to keep rpms below 3000 for the most part but sometimes merging onto the highway you need to step on it a little more. I tried to keep my "break in" period with regular use rpms bellow 2500, and ocassionally (a handful of times just below4000) but i just don't know what their sudden accelaration means. Same with the sudden breaking, it happened a handfull of times where i really needed to stop since the car in front stopped (minimum 3 car following distance, and slowing down from 100 kph to a stop) i wish their guidelines for break in would be like for their motorcycles...precise and methodical
You worry too much. What you did during break-in period was fine. Avoid sudden acceleration = Don't floor it, and avoid high revs (4K is not high) . Sudden braking (not breaking)? If you have to stop, you have to stop. It will be fine.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You worry too much. What you did during break-in period was fine. Avoid sudden acceleration = Don't floor it, and avoid high revs (4K is not high) . Sudden braking (not breaking)? If you have to stop, you have to stop. It will be fine.
Just don't hold it to the floor for a long period, or slam on the brakes to see how quick it can stop (or to) test the ABS.

n00b Gr3n4d3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 1.5 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are totally right actually. It being my second civic after a bad car accident in my 16 sedan i just want to get everything right and baby it.
Sponsored