First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought I'd post this up...but maybe it's not worth its own post? If not feel free to merge.

I've owned aFe, AEM, Injen EVO and now HKS intake.

With all of the intakes except HKS (I'll explain why below). I've noticed under WOT, in higher rpm range, a slight hesitation...almost hiccup as if the car didn't like the intake. It could see and feel the rpm bounce back and forth ever so slightly and quickly...like the ECU was trying to stop me from accelerating.
I even turned off traction control just to make sure that wasn't the issue..but it always persisted.

They all started out great, but something always felt slightly off after a while. I would then throw the factory intake on and it would act as if nothing happened.

Now I'm running HKS and it of course required its own tune. So far I haven't experienced anything like above.

Why it did that...I don't know...as I see in flashpro calibrations it seems to hint most intakes didn't require a tune (except HKS and apparently eventuri from what Hondata has mentioned).

Something to keep in mind or watch out for imo
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That was the issue with the other ones then imo - if you change rate or flow of air on turbo car - tune or weird stuff will happen
Yeah...that's what I'm saying...
With the other ones though... they like to state you don't need a tune. Hks admits you do

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Yeah...that's what I'm saying...
With the other ones though... they like to state you don't need a tune. Hks admits you do
I always hated that about cold air intakes - they say 'safe to run without a tune!' which is 'technically correct' in that your car won't blow up for however you run JUST THAT. But it won't run well certainly as you saw - but the worse aspect of that to me is the people that have other bits without a tune then they add the CAI - at a certain point you will cause problems without a tune - depending on the car <cough>Subaru<cough> sooner rather than later.

Change air flow - tune

I think that's the most simple approach to follow - glad you got a proper tune for the intake and hope you're enjoying it!