First Name
Katsu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2001 Prelude
Country flag
Hiya, Katsu.

First, apologies for the frustration. From what I gather from your post + your ticket to our customer support team, it seems like adjustment of the system was recommended – which is common as it can be tricky for some as fitment is influenced by the components together even though they’re slip-fit, particularly the mid pipe as it has major influence over the trajectory of the rear section. Rotation is key.

After your initial conversation in October 2020, the ticket was closed on our end, which you responded to four months later (Feb ‘21) which did not make it into the system, thus resulting in it not getting delivered to Mike (whom ya were speaking with). Our fault here, and we’re looking into how this could have happened on our back end.

FWIW, if communication would have been re-opened with Mike, the next course of action would have been to get the component back to put in a fixture again to see if there was any deviation found - which would have been remedied. The unfortunate event is the process never got to this step.

I’m aware it’s water under the bridge now, so to speak, as you have uninstalled it. Just wanted to let you know we’re here, and this isn’t going unnoticed.

Here if you ever need us.
Thanks for the response.

I do remember back in October I had sent an email right back after I received a response regarding that pipe being upside down. I remember when I called and spoke with Mike that he mentioned my ticket being closed.
I thought that was odd as I was still in the process of resolving my fitment concern I had.

I contacted Mike by calling a few months later via phone and IIRC that’s when the correspondence went into February 2021.

I am wondering how this may have happened as well, since I left Mike a voicemail with my contact info (phone number) as well as messaging your social media guy on instagram with the same info.

Again, thanks for the response. I have tried countless times to adjust and rotate the pipes to center the exhaust with no luck.

Unfortunately, due to the lack of response on my end and my frustrations with fitment, I have since removed the exhaust like I said in my original post.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mocchan

Mocchan

First Name
Katsu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2001 Prelude
Country flag
Not true, just for the record. A four month gap in communication with OP didn't help the greater good here. :confused:
I replied back as soon as I received correspondence from Mike in October. The lack of response on my end after I sent my email is what prompted me to reach out to you guys via phone and on social media 12/29/2020 after waiting (figured you guys were busy). Followed up a week later 01/05/2020 again with more pictures as requested and unfortunately no follow up.

No issue anymore, as Sara said, as long as you guys look into this issue on why the ticket got closed/lack of communication.

CJizzle_FK8

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen My experience with AWE. Screenshot_20220127-095842_Gallery
I have the AWE track exhaust with the triple black tips. Paid $1100 for it. It screams at WOT. I love it, my wife hates it lol. Sucks you had a bad experience with yours.

Lagos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
The slip joins are a major headache. Just getting the rear tips aligned straight is a challenge.

The exhaust also drones at 2500 rpm, especially in colder weather. The dual phase muffler should be standard as it actually fixes the drone.

Exhaust gasses only come out of the center tip. The other two tops are cosmetic. This looks horrible on chrome tips as the middle one is filled with carbon and the side ones are clean.

The muffler should have been buffed to shine. It just doesn't look all that great the way it is.

The exhaust tapers down to 2.4in ID at the downpipe connection. This is fine but this could have just been sold as a 2.5in exhaust if it has a restriction.

There is a lot of room for improvements and the shortcuts taken are obvious.

On the bright side, the tone is good and the stainless piping they uses is good quality.

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
So interesting how the AWE experience is so polarizing lol. I had the touring on my Si and I loved it. I took it to their shop outside of philly to have it installed and I never worried about it after. No rattle or fitment issues. I was planning on doing the same with my R but mannn these hot and cold reviews just have me questioning everything lol. Again, my experience was very good with them, but I will say it’s a bit overpriced IMO.

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
The slip joins are a major headache. Just getting the rear tips aligned straight is a challenge.

The exhaust also drones at 2500 rpm, especially in colder weather. The dual phase muffler should be standard as it actually fixes the drone.

Exhaust gasses only come out of the center tip. The other two tops are cosmetic. This looks horrible on chrome tips as the middle one is filled with carbon and the side ones are clean.

The muffler should have been buffed to shine. It just doesn't look all that great the way it is.

The exhaust tapers down to 2.4in ID at the downpipe connection. This is fine but this could have just been sold as a 2.5in exhaust if it has a restriction.

There is a lot of room for improvements and the shortcuts taken are obvious.

On the bright side, the tone is good and the stainless piping they uses is good quality.
You're not wrong about the slip joints, the trade off to adjustability is that it can be a pain to dial in.

It's not that the dual phase mid-pipe was not 'included' we designed this entire system so it could be modular and folks could customize to their needs and add on when they wanted to.

I hear ya on the tips, definitely a trade off to a triple tip, DMing you so we can get ya some Tip Tonic to make cleaning them a bit easier.

There is no muffler in the system, only resonators. This is the first I heard about buffing those, but I will pass on to the rest of the team, always lookin' for ways to make our 180 Tech stand out even more.

As far as the inlet, because it is such a small section the difference is negligible. We designed it this way so that it fits with the stock downpipe.

No shortcuts here, not our style, but there are always room for improvements and I always share feedback with the rest of the engineering and design team.

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
So interesting how the AWE experience is so polarizing lol. I had the touring on my Si and I loved it. I took it to their shop outside of philly to have it installed and I never worried about it after. No rattle or fitment issues. I was planning on doing the same with my R but mannn these hot and cold reviews just have me questioning everything lol. Again, my experience was very good with them, but I will say it’s a bit overpriced IMO.
We would love to have you back in for an install if you decide to go with a system on your Type R. Many have pointed out how difficult it can be to dial in, and they are not wrong, so we want to film a full install video with tips/tricks for getting it just right.

Gonna shoot you a DM to get your info and to see if you would be interested.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
Love my AWE exhaust. Had an issue with a clamp for a tip and the sent me a new one. :dunno:

bring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 CW
Country flag
Exhaust gasses only come out of the center tip. The other two tips are cosmetic.
Just started researching exhaust upgrade (for sound pretty much) - didn’t realize the outside tips on this one are bogus

Lagos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Just started researching exhaust upgrade (for sound pretty much) - didn’t realize the outside tips on this one are bogus
The exhaust will flow the path of least resistance, which in this case is the center tip. This is part of the reason why OE has a reduced diameter on the center tip, so that it can divert the exhaust flow to the other tips.

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
I have had my AWE touring on my Si for some time now. Install and fitment is fine, I had to bend the rear hangars so the tips didn't touch the bumper.

The only thing I don't like is the slight drone at 2-3k RPMs and the fact that the triple tip conversion from the standard two tip is way overpriced.

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The exhaust will flow the path of least resistance, which in this case is the center tip. This is part of the reason why OE has a reduced diameter on the center tip, so that it can divert the exhaust flow to the other tips.
Yup and only 1/3rd the cleaning required! Lmao

Lagos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
You're not wrong about the slip joints, the trade off to adjustability is that it can be a pain to dial in.

It's not that the dual phase mid-pipe was not 'included' we designed this entire system so it could be modular and folks could customize to their needs and add on when they wanted to.

I hear ya on the tips, definitely a trade off to a triple tip, DMing you so we can get ya some Tip Tonic to make cleaning them a bit easier.

There is no muffler in the system, only resonators. This is the first I heard about buffing those, but I will pass on to the rest of the team, always lookin' for ways to make our 180 Tech stand out even more.

As far as the inlet, because it is such a small section the difference is negligible. We designed it this way so that it fits with the stock downpipe.

No shortcuts here, not our style, but there are always room for improvements and I always share feedback with the rest of the engineering and design team.

Sara,

1. Have you guys thought about including a template to help level the rear exhaust tips? Maybe something 3d printed that fits over the radius of the 3 exhaust pipes and has a level on it? Most people struggle with getting the tips level.

2. Has your engineering team considered adding a restrictor to the middle tip/pipe to help distribute the flow of the exhaust gasses to the left and right tips? I experimented with this on my exhaust and found that it helps with drone as well. It deflects the sound waves and potentially gives them more time to get thrown out of phase by your rear phase canceling canister. It would also solve the problem of having 1 black center tip and 2 clean side tips. The OE follows this design. You can see the problem in this pic.
Honda Civic 10th gen My experience with AWE. Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 12.40.36 PM

3. Looking at the following picture, you can see how flat and dull the finish looks on the rear canister along with the tip adapter pipe. You can see this from the back of the car and it just doesn't look that great. Would be much better if the whole thing was buffed to a mirror shine.

Honda Civic 10th gen My experience with AWE. IMG_20200620_145747_4b9e9ce0-928f-4d1b-9e91-08a9a6721bf6_1024x1024@2x.jpg copy

Last edited:

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Sara,

3. Looking at the following picture, you can see how flat and dull the finish looks on the rear canister along with the tip adapter pipe. You can see this from the back of the car and it just doesn't look that great. Would be much better if the whole thing was buffed to a mirror shine.

IMG_20200620_145747_4b9e9ce0-928f-4d1b-9e91-08a9a6721bf6_1024x1024@2x.jpg copy.jpg
How often does anyone see this view unless the car is on a lift or the viewer is laying on the ground?