My experience thus far with Civic X...

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think your frustration is valid. It sounds like the dealer is as much the issue than the car though. Is there a different Honda Dealership locally that you could work with?
Sponsored

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
your LX MT was probably built in the Canadian plant. Mine was. The higher trim levels were probably built in the Ohio plant. The Ohio cars have had a lot more issues. The Canadian cars seem to be perfect. My LX MT coupe has been perfect, not a single issue. But my car doesn't have the turbo or the infotainment system or the CVT or the lane sensing or crash mitigation or the auto dimming mirrors or a subwoofer or any of that stuff so there's not much to go wrong. The fit and finish of the Canadian built cars does seem better though from what I've read. Iv'e looked mine over and I can't find a single thing wrong. Also paid under 20K. The best car I ever had.
Regarding the source of manufacture, you can always verify with your VIN.
My Civic is a touring model, and it was still built in Canada.

WokeNotaSleep

Banned
Banned
First Name
WokeDude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic
your LX MT was probably built in the Canadian plant. Mine was. The higher trim levels were probably built in the Ohio plant. The Ohio cars have had a lot more issues. The Canadian cars seem to be perfect.
UK hatches are perfect too. Almost 10k on the clock and not even low on tire once. Completely comfy to sit in and fun to maneuver. I would buy another in a heartbeat without thinking twice. for what. only around 20k, it's a steal. and for around 21k, I got the Safety Sensing has saved me 5 fingers worth,, god is so good.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Regarding the source of manufacture, you can always verify with your VIN.
My Civic is a touring model, and it was still built in Canada.
I have a SI, it is Canadian made, right? MFrom the vin, how do I tell the source of the manufacturing plant?

** Update ** Just confirmed that my SI is made in Canada. The 11th digit of the VIN is “H”.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Windgrace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I've had my car for almost 1 year and I have the EX version. Fortunately I have not had any issues with the infotainment although I will admit the car has several short comings. Welds and paint areas are not perfect and the interior cloth on mine is subpar. All things it comes down to price. For me if I could do it all over again knowing what I know now, I'd probably have gotten the LX to be on the safe side. Someone I know also was wanting to buy a civic, and I told them point blank get the LX or look at a different car. He just got the LX for $17k and that was it.

I understand your situation though, you like everyone else works hard for their money, time away from their family, etc so to drop $27k and get a subpar product is disheartening. With that said, I'd suggest you really check out what else you want to buy and test drive it before impulsively jumping to another car that you may not like. You have had the Touring for a very short period of time and you'll take a decent loss if you trade it in. At the very least you should privately sell it.

I think for $27k I'd buy a different car rather than a Civic Touring, but to each his own. Same with a Type R, I'd just get a BMW M3 instead.

But for $17k base model Civic, I think it's worth it with the quality control issues....at $27k not so much.
Well, the reason why I went with the Touring trim is because I ended up not paying $27k for it. It went for $23.5k. Knowing what I know now, and the fact that I don't use any of the features from the touring (problems with the "premium" sound system, don't use navigation, don't use satellite radio, etc) I should have just gone with an EX.

It would appear many people seem to take offense to my sharing my negative experience with the Civic on these forums. Almost as if it's a personal assault, as evidenced by everyone seemingly feeling the need to tell me to essentially STFU.

As for the poster who felt the need to quip about my taking issue with the speedometer/ACC settings being off: if I set my TV channel to 17 and it would go on channel 16 instead, or if I tuned my radio to 89.5 and it would then play 89.4 I'd be annoyed...the same applies to the speed of my vehicle. If I set the car to go 65 mph, barring another vehicle being in front of me, the car should go 65 mph. Simple as that.

For what it's worth, a simple google search for most of these issues (speedometer, windshield wipers, auto-dimming mirror) will show multiple threads on each subject by other individuals, many from this forum! It just so happens that my vehicle seems to be suffering from all of them.

FWIW, this particular vehicle was built in Canada.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Well, the reason why I went with the Touring trim is because I ended up not paying $27k for it. It went for $23.5k. Knowing what I know now, and the fact that I don't use any of the features from the touring (problems with the "premium" sound system, don't use navigation, don't use satellite radio, etc) I should have just gone with an EX.

It would appear many people seem to take offense to my sharing my negative experience with the Civic on these forums. Almost as if it's a personal assault, as evidenced by everyone seemingly feeling the need to tell me to essentially STFU.

As for the poster who felt the need to quip about my taking issue with the speedometer/ACC settings being off: if I set my TV channel to 17 and it would go on channel 16 instead, or if I tuned my radio to 89.5 and it would then play 89.4 I'd be annoyed...the same applies to the speed of my vehicle. If I set the car to go 65 mph, barring another vehicle being in front of me, the car should go 65 mph. Simple as that.

For what it's worth, a simple google search for most of these issues (speedometer, windshield wipers, auto-dimming mirror) will show multiple threads on each subject by other individuals, many from this forum! It just so happens that my vehicle seems to be suffering from all of them.

You are on a Honda site, there's tons of fanbois here. You can't have a subjective discussion about cars at all.

I have been on here prior to CivicX being released, and when it was released, all of these stories started coming out about the car. Including dash vents that wander in the summer, self-destructing sunroof mechanisms, self-denting sheet metal and the car freaking out and not starting without being "rebooted". Try explaining that process to a wife.

I stay on here because my wife really like the Sport (base) hatchback. Which, I think may be the best model of CivicX because it doesn't have all the crap you don't NEED, but it has the 1.5T, which is a bonus. So I say "OK" to her and cross my fingers that the 2017 or 2018 CivicX are finally "ironed out". Nope, not the case. Even the new Accords are crap nowadays. By crap, I mean, nothing like the 1990's Honda where you NEVER have to reboot the car or get 1st (2nd and 3rd apparently) year issues that "trust that Honda will figure it out".

Wanna see fanboism on full display? Here it goes: I bailed on getting a CivicX and ended up buying a Mk7 GTI. My first euro car ever. I have owned it over 2 years now, it cost me $28.9K because I got leather, pano roof, lighting package w/adaptive headlights and DSG. I am a old school Honda guy. This was an uneasy thing to do. But guess what? Almost the best car I have ever owned, in a tie with my 1995 Acura Legend that I owned a long time ago. Solid sheet metal, feels like a $40k car, doesn't tin-can when being washed. DSG has lightning fast shifts, really the best choice if you want a sporty car with an automatic. The infotainment is perfect in my car (a 2016MY) has volume and tuning knobs, hooks up just fine to any of my Android phones, NEVER, and I mean NEVER have I had to reboot it, it gets 26 mpg city (about same as your 1.5T) but on freeway will average 39.8 mpg, this from a car that is as fast as the legendary Supra TT (I have a piggyback tuner).

What has broken on my VW "pile of crap"? Well, TBH the sunroof used to squeak, dealer was very good about trying to fix it, they failed because they over-complicated it. I fixed it myself, just one rubber seal needs NAPA Syl-Glide every 6 months to keep it quiet.

So, one commenter said they couldn't even imagine what kind of car is good for you (obviously because you don't know what is good for you?) in my mind it is obvious. Base model 2017 GTI can be had for about the same as what you paid if you get Costco and dealer subsidies ($900 Costco and $3500 VW incentives) for remaining 2017's.

Now cue all of the "VW is crap" comments...

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
It's intellectually dishonest to gauge a car's reliability by the # of complaints on forums (be it Honda, VW or Subaru); without thinking about the context. The vocal minority will complain, while the vast majority of happy owners would not even register for an account.

While I sympathize those who may be on the wrong side of statistics, purely venting wouldn't do much on the internet. There's venting, and there's also seeking solutions from other users.

OP
OP

Windgrace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I think your frustration is valid. It sounds like the dealer is as much the issue than the car though. Is there a different Honda Dealership locally that you could work with?
I purchased the car at a dealer 1.5 hours away. Called and left a voicemail regarding some complaints, no response. Emails haven't been responded to, either. The local dealership is only open M-F for service, which is impossible for me to work with as I work full-time and have an hour commute to and from work. The dealership in the town I work in is where I've attempted to address these issues, usually requiring me to drop the vehicle off before work and hope that they will be able to drive me to work/pick me up. Or go during my lunch breaks.

You are on a Honda site, there's tons of fanbois here. You can't have a subjective discussion about cars at all.

I have been on here prior to CivicX being released, and when it was released, all of these stories started coming out about the car. Including dash vents that wander in the summer, self-destructing sunroof mechanisms, self-denting sheet metal and the car freaking out and not starting without being "rebooted". Try explaining that process to a wife.

I stay on here because my wife really like the Sport (base) hatchback. Which, I think may be the best model of CivicX because it doesn't have all the crap you don't NEED, but it has the 1.5T, which is a bonus. So I say "OK" to her and cross my fingers that the 2017 or 2018 CivicX are finally "ironed out". Nope, not the case. Even the new Accords are crap nowadays. By crap, I mean, nothing like the 1990's Honda where you NEVER have to reboot the car or get 1st (2nd and 3rd apparently) year issues that "trust that Honda will figure it out".

Wanna see fanboism on full display? Here it goes: I bailed on getting a CivicX and ended up buying a Mk7 GTI. My first euro car ever. I have owned it over 2 years now, it cost me $28.9K because I got leather, pano roof, lighting package w/adaptive headlights and DSG. I am a old school Honda guy. This was an uneasy thing to do. But guess what? Almost the best car I have ever owned, in a tie with my 1995 Acura Legend that I owned a long time ago. Solid sheet metal, feels like a $40k car, doesn't tin-can when being washed. DSG has lightning fast shifts, really the best choice if you want a sporty car with an automatic. The infotainment is perfect in my car (a 2016MY) has volume and tuning knobs, hooks up just fine to any of my Android phones, NEVER, and I mean NEVER have I had to reboot it, it gets 26 mpg city (about same as your 1.5T) but on freeway will average 39.8 mpg, this from a car that is as fast as the legendary Supra TT (I have a piggyback tuner).

What has broken on my VW "pile of crap"? Well, TBH the sunroof used to squeak, dealer was very good about trying to fix it, they failed because they over-complicated it. I fixed it myself, just one rubber seal needs NAPA Syl-Glide every 6 months to keep it quiet.

So, one commenter said they couldn't even imagine what kind of car is good for you (obviously because you don't know what is good for you?) in my mind it is obvious. Base model 2017 GTI can be had for about the same as what you paid if you get Costco and dealer subsidies ($900 Costco and $3500 VW incentives) for remaining 2017's.

Now cue all of the "VW is crap" comments...
I did read about the self-denting sheet metal on these cars (from what I read it was mostly the C-pillar). As a result of that I've only handwashed my car. We had an 06 Civic in the family, which was a great car until the last year when it seemed like everything but the engine/transmission seemed to go, including severely faded paint. I've noticed that Hondas seem to have lower-quality paint than average, as most of the seriously faded/peeling/clearcoat failure cars I see on the roads are 4-5+ year old Hondas. I am avid about protecting the paint, which is why I noticed the original paint flaws (dirt nib causing a bubble in the factory paint) when I was initially washing and waxing the vehicle. Which led to the whole debacle of getting it fixed and the autoshop ****ing up the paint on the next door panel.

I made the same assumption, that the 17s would have ironed out the early production kings of the 16s. I was certainly wrong about that! I originally wanted a hatch, and I agree the Sport is likely the best trim available. I did really want the Sensing package as I commute a great deal, which is why I ended up with a Touring because Honda doesn't produce many cars with that option from the factory.

Speaking of paint, in some lighting you can see the uneven spraying of the metallic grey color and this is from the factory.

I will admit, coming from a family that has bought exclusively Japanese cars for 20 years jumping ship seems almost frightening to me. My mother's 2010 Subie Legacy has been absolutely flawless, and she will likely be trading it in in the next year to get a Crosstrek.

As for me...I'm not sure what I'll do with this Touring. Because I did get a good deal on it price-wise the loss on trade wouldn't be as horrendous (not ideal of course). I think I might wait and see what the next gen Mazda 3 brings (and maybe even the next gen Corolla/iM hatch) over the upcoming year and make a decision then.

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
As for me...I'm not sure what I'll do with this Touring. Because I did get a good deal on it price-wise the loss on trade wouldn't be as horrendous (not ideal of course). I think I might wait and see what the next gen Mazda 3 brings (and maybe even the next gen Corolla/iM hatch) over the upcoming year and make a decision then.
If the next gen Mazda3 does exactly what it sets out to do, I don't think there's any car in the segment that can bring the same level of performance and economy. 194hp with what, 50MPG? Unless, they decide to price their cars higher because they want to be more "mature" and "luxurious".

As for Corolla, I wouldn't count on it to improve exponentially. :D

OP
OP

Windgrace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
If the next gen Mazda3 does exactly what it sets out to do, I don't think there's any car in the segment that can bring the same level of performance and economy. 194hp with what, 50MPG? Unless, they decide to price their cars higher because they want to be more "mature" and "luxurious".

As for Corolla, I wouldn't count on it to improve exponentially. :D
I've been wanting to make the jump to Mazda for several years, but the current 3 (despite being an awesome drive) was just so loud at freeway speeds that I couldn't seriously consider it since I spend two hours a day on the road. If the next gen manages to accomplish everything they're claiming and also includes AC/AA...plus a sexy hatchback? I'll be at the dealership day 1.

The Corolla likely won't but who knows? The new Camry is actually quite aggressive looking and that four cylinder, 8 speed and compact car level MPG was a pretty huge gain over the prior generation. If the next Corolla makes similar leaps it might actually be a decent compact car.

And yes, I may be venting. Maaaaybe blowing some issues out of proportion. But I still am pretty disappointed with this purchase, and I think that even though I may be in the statistical minority it doesn't mean that I did not inherit a theoretical "dud". Posters shouldn't only be allowed to share positive experiences, either. ;)

duraz0rz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring - Sonic Grey
Country flag
I've noticed the 1mph difference with ACC, but it hasn't bugged me enough.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag

Yeah it's a Honda forum so there's an inherent bias. I'd say don't take it personally, but it sucks nonetheless. I had a similar experience with Toyota on my prior car so people just get defensive when you state you don't like a product the forum caters to. There's been a mixed bag on the sensing and other features. My EX the infotainment is starting to get buggy which I think is related to my phone, not the infotainment itself.

The android the infotaiment runs is 4.2.2 unless someone else has an updated version. I don't expect this to be updated and Android 4.2.2 was released back in 2013.....so this is a very old version of android. My phone runs 8.1 which is over 4 years worth of version updates.

My car was also made in Canada, I believe the other location where they are made is in Indiana. Unless you really hate it, I'm not sure I'd personally take the loss on the car being so new, but either way whatever you feel is best I'd encourage you to do. You'll get more on a private sale vs. trade in if you want to minimize your losses. Also in California there's no shortage of demand for Civics

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
By crap, I mean, nothing like the 1990's Honda where you NEVER have to reboot the car or get 1st (2nd and 3rd apparently) year issues that "trust that Honda will figure it out".
Yeah, I never have to to 'reboot" my 97 and 99 Honda's.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
This is totally unrelated and I may have asked this before, but I'll ask it again. For those that have EX-T, EX-L, Touring that all have stock turbos, do you burn premium or does regular unleaded work fine in the car ?
Sponsored