Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2017 civic si coupe
50,000 miles
FBO, catless 3" turbo back
Fx350 clutch
kTuner, phearable tune w/god mode
Etc, etc

A/c stopped working @ 50,000 miles. I guess there was a recall on the condenser but not the compressor. She told me the condenser was bad and the compressor was leaking and that both would need to be swapped in order to bring my a/c back to working order. Here is a string of texts from our conversation.

Her: Hello! This is Melisa from WB Honda. Hope your day is going well. Ok, so we do need to replace the condenser under warranty ext, but we also found leaks from the compressor..so, it would need both. I have everything here. The compressor is $1723.74. Honda will pick up the recharge with the condenser. It does make sense to do the repairs together.

Me: Lol I'll wait for the compressor to be recalled, almost winter anyways. How long would repairs take on condenser swap?

Her: If we do the condenser it'll be done today, but your a/c will not work and then when you came back to do the compressor you'd also have to pick up the recharge and evac again- so it jumps froim 1723 to 2100

Me: I'm not in a position to spend $1700, swap condenser for now and I'll source out a compressor and swap it myself

And then some jibber jabber after that. A/c compressor for our cars is $200 by the way. Recharge can cost anywhere in the $2-300 range. So $500 tops to do it yourself. They wanted to charge $1600 labor to unbolt 4 mounting screws, loosen tensioner, remove hoses, and replace.

When I got my car back it was detuned. They flashed factory map back to my ECU without my permission for a/c work. Doesn't make any sense to me, someone explain?
Sponsored

Last edited:

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
2017 civic si coupe
50,000 miles
Fx350 clutch
Etc, etc

When I got my car back it was detuned. They flashed factory map back to my ECU without my permission for a/c work. Doesn't make any sense to me, someone explain?
Wait, AFAIK, they cannot just flash the ECU with a tune onboard since it can cause problems.

OP
OP

Gagerr

Energy green ;)
First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wait, AFAIK, they cannot just flash the ECU with a tune onboard since it can cause problems.
Well it has already, apparently. This is my message to them (I stretched the truth a bit)

Me: I'm curious why the factory map was flashed onto my ECU? I had an 8 hour Dyno tune on and I don't have the files for it. Just got a cel code for secondary o2 because my car was flashed back to factory tune

they're ignoring me

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Wow man, that dealership is F’d up. Once I told my service advisor that I have a tune onboard, they told me that they’ll not touch the ECU to prevent any conflict.

Regarding your A/C, try to reach out to Honda corporate. That’s what I did when they quoted me close to $3k for everything. I only paid $200 when Honda corporate stepped in.

OP
OP

Gagerr

Energy green ;)
First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow man, that dealership is F’d up. Once I told my service advisor that I have a tune onboard, they told me that they’ll not touch the ECU to prevent any conflict.

Regarding your A/C, try to reach out to Honda corporate. That’s what I did when they quoted me close to $3k for everything. I only paid $200 when Honda corporate stepped in.
That's what I figured I'd do. As of now, condenser is in and a/c is blowing colder than ever. We'll see if my compressor is 'actually' leaking.

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
When people take the time to write to corporate, that helps all of us in the future. Like I've said before, dealerships, service advisors, and people in general treat people this way because they're not called on their BS. It doesn't have to rude or dishonest, just a narrative of what happened. I like how the OP approached this thread. He simply stated what happened by showing evidence.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, this is normal. They flash the ECU as a part of many recall updates.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
That's what I figured I'd do. As of now, condenser is in and a/c is blowing colder than ever. We'll see if my compressor is 'actually' leaking.
that's great news. I'm sorry to hear about the mess-up with the tune.

A compressor for our cars is listed at $677 but hondapartsnetwork has it for $474 brand new. So where was she getting 1723? There's no way the labor is 1100 when so much of it is already baked into the cost of replacing the condenser (like draining the refrigerant and putting back in refrigerant)

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
2017 civic si coupe
50,000 miles
Fx350 clutch
Etc, etc

A/c stopped working @ 50,000 miles. I guess there was a recall on the condenser but not the compressor. She told me the condenser was bad and the compressor was leaking and that both would need to be swapped in order to bring my a/c back to working order. Here is a string of texts from our conversation.

Her: Hello! This is Melisa from WB Honda. Hope your day is going well. Ok, so we do need to replace the condenser under warranty ext, but we also found leaks from the compressor..so, it would need both. I have everything here. The compressor is $1723.74. Honda will pick up the recharge with the condenser. It does make sense to do the repairs together.

Me: Lol I'll wait for the compressor to be recalled, almost winter anyways. How long would repairs take on condenser swap?

Her: If we do the condenser it'll be done today, but your a/c will not work and then when you came back to do the compressor you'd also have to pick up the recharge and evac again- so it jumps froim 1723 to 2100

Me: I'm not in a position to spend $1700, swap condenser for now and I'll source out a compressor and swap it myself

And then some jibber jabber after that. A/c compressor for our cars is $200 by the way. Recharge can cost anywhere in the $2-300 range. So $500 tops to do it yourself. They wanted to charge $1600 labor to unbolt 4 mounting screws, loosen tensioner, remove hoses, and replace.

You can do it yourself but if there is a recall then whatever you paid would be gone. If they charge you to replace the compressor then there's a recall, you can claim that money back. They're obviously trying to make money from everyone so its best to weigh up your options.

They're ignoring you regarding the flash on the ECU. It may be worth messaging them with the crap they did and advise them that if these issues they caused are not rectified then you will contact Honda US. Here in Canada they gave me the run around and as soon as i told Honda Canada whats going on they rectified my issue within 4 days.

Dealerships do not want to be seen in a bad light with their parent company. Dealerships are all franchises anyway and to look bad in front of Honda is bad for them.

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I was quota 4K to replace the clutch on my son's '19 SI from the Honda dealer in my area. No thanks...
Your son went through a clutch that quickly? How many miles are on the car?

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
I was quota 4K to replace the clutch on my son's '19 SI from the Honda dealer in my area. No thanks...
are they upgrading the gears to HPD and building a transmission LOL !!

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Her: If we do the condenser it'll be done today, but your a/c will not work....
Why did she say that? Were they not going to recharge it? Well, it sounds like they did. You should be good for a while. I'd recommend running the A/C several times this winter to keep it lubed.
Sponsored