Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Good write up. Eventually I’ll probably just bite the bullet and replace my clutch w/ a type r retrofit now. Seen enough positive reviews from it.
Sponsored

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ted, excited for the updates! Do you have access to a Infrared Heat Sensor / Thermometer?

It would be great to see how the turbo, downpipe, and surrounding components are before and after with all 3 upgrades! I've got the high flow grille which allowed me to run 5 hot laps with ECT topping at 208f; without it after 3 hot laps my ECT would be at 224f. I've just been wondering about the gains with the other two :)

Really like this channel's approach, but you don't need to go out and spend big money on a camera. Home Depot has them for around $50 or so

OP
OP
teders

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Spring update part 3

Summary:
  • PTP T25/T28 Turbo Blanket - Lava (FPRO35-028-01)
  • PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap installed on DP
  • FKX Racing high flow grille installed

Have done some mods focused on improving my car's resilience to heat. The turbo blanket install was pretty straight forward, took off the inlet pipe, disconnected the waste gate actuator, took off the heat shield, removed DP, then installed the blanket. I used some wire that comes with the blanket and got it on there nice and snug. Wrapping the DP was also fairly straight forward, i probably should have ordered a little bit more, i bought a 2 inch wide by 15 foot strip. The next size up would be 2x50, which would have been far more than i needed to wrap just the DP.

After wrapping the DP, it was actually a bit tricky to get the nuts onto the studs that hold the DP to the turbo. The wrap itself adds a "thicker skin", if you will, and just kind of gets in the way of the nut's path down the stud. Wasn't a problem in the end though.

Honda Civic 10th gen my daily track toy build 218553-fa6a209f96a413f8349d536364faa2ae

Honda Civic 10th gen my daily track toy build 218554-700614c41fb8eef6d08fcc9e5fb4592a

In addition to the PTP insulation, i also installed my high flow grille from FKX Racing.

This install was a bit less straight forward. For one, separating the OEM grille from the bumper was slightly panic inducing, as the little plastic tabs that hold everything together seem like they aren't meant to be disconnected many times. Once i got the OEM grille off, the plastic tabs on the new one didn't really want to line up with the openings on my bumper. One tab in particular right in the middle seemed like it was off by a few millimeters, so i actually just trimmed the tab a little bit, didn't completely remove it. Once that was done, the grille's tabs would all sit in their matching slots on the bumper, but it wasn't a very snug fit. So i got creative with some zip ties.

Honda Civic 10th gen my daily track toy build received_2619259818342955

This is the inside of the bumper, you can see the zip ties are sort of just snaked through the actual tabs on the grille. They wont come out and actually help pull the grille into the bumper for a surprisingly seamless fit.

Honda Civic 10th gen my daily track toy build IMG_20200506_181240

Honda Civic 10th gen my daily track toy build IMG_20200508_194830

Mod's effectiveness:

Ultimately i think these mods do really improve the cooling/insulation in my engine bay. My ECT temps really never move too far out of the 175-179 F range while driving. As for the turbo blanket and exhaust wrap combo, by themselves im not sure how effective they are, because i did everything at the same time. However, after a good back roads session the other night, i cant tell just by putting my hand near the turbo/DP area that it is significantly cooler than before with just the heat shield and no wrap. If nothing else, not having to deal with that damn heatshield anymore will be worth it enough.

OP
OP
teders

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice cooling mods. Are you going to upgrade the radiator ?
I'm not sure, I wouldn't be opposed to it, but right now I think I'm in a good spot in terms of cooling.

OP
OP
teders

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Detailed the car today with a bunch of new stuff from Optimum. Full wash and decon with a light clay bar, then polished out some hood swirls. Didn't take much to get them out, i used optimum hyper polish and a white LC polishing pad. Finished it off with a wipe down of Optimum paint prep and then my second ever application of Optimum Gloss Coat. It's a Si-C (silicon carbide) coating, which actually bonds with the clear coat. Will give an ONR wipe down and opti-seal tomorrow.

Honda Civic 10th gen my daily track toy build IMG_20200523_144234

Honda Civic 10th gen my daily track toy build IMG_20200523_144408

Honda Civic 10th gen my daily track toy build IMG_20200523_144321

Honda Civic 10th gen my daily track toy build IMG_20200523_144306

Last edited:

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Looks awesome!
Did you swap grill back to OEM?

OP
OP
teders

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Summer 2020 update:

Trackday video recording and dashview setup

I've been spending time trying to configure a dash view/ktuner datalog/GPS system to record track sessions and create videos. Right now i've got a GoPro Hero 7 Black mounted looking out my windshield, trackaddict running on my phone, and Ktuner for data logging.

This past weekend i went to a trackcross event at Summit Point and was able to record some runs and make a video. Check it out.

mikegold

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si coupe, 2018 GT3, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 1990 300ZX, 1986 300ZX
Country flag
Chin is good like Code Monkey said. Jzilla is by far my favorite. Getting six 30 min sessions for $300 is pretty sweet. Good crowd too, everyone is super friendly and will talk to just about anybody.
I prefer Jzilla also. Just did RA this last weekend. Running average of 1:56-1:58 but 1:54 was my best time.

OP
OP
teders

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Summer 2020 update 2.

Planning on installing the whiteline 22mm RSB and adjustable endlinks, as well as DC2 strut bar. I'm also going to give the pro-civic high flow grill a try.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Summer 2020 update 2.

Planning on installing the whiteline 22mm RSB and adjustable endlinks, as well as DC2 strut bar. I'm also going to give the pro-civic high flow grill a try.
Pro Civic grille IMO looks better, and it fit really well for me - still a gap at the top above the Honda badge, but not noticeable unless you're looking for it. I value the additional cooling and overall better look, can forego the tiny issue with fitment which fairly speaking every aftermarket grille has.

Feel free to reach out to me about anything Whiteline :)

FrankTheTank21

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Sup guys, hope everyone's having a good 2020 so far. Saw a "yo check my build" thread and was inspired to make one of my own. Also considering i haven't done one yet, figured why not. So hey everyone, check my build!

My 2017 Si sedan is my daily driven, track and twisty killin, favorite toy and happy place, MONEY pit! :headbang:
One day i may come to regret my decision for spending as much money on this car as i have, but considering my planned 2020 mod list, that day doesn't seem to be close.

I've currently got about 45k on the odometer and plan on keeping her as long as possible. The car is just too damn fun to drive while still being extremely practical and efficient.

My initial intentions with the car were focused on power. I wanted to make the car fast(er), so I went the power mod route pretty early but have actually kept it relatively conservative at only about 24 lbs of boost. I'm now satisfied with the power level, roughy 320 whp/wtq on e35-40, and so these days i've come to prioritize handling, which is certainly where this car shines. This past winter she saw the most track time yet, and the list of cars we outpaced is very surprising (bearing in mind driver mod plays a huge part). Mustang GTs, Camaros, STI's, Fiesta/Focus ST's, an Alfa romeo, even a Cayman (clearly needed a driver mod) -- but even so. End horn tooting, here's what she's got:

Ktuner V2 with custom dyno tune, shout out to Derek at IMW!
PRL downpipe (catted) and frontpipe
PRL intercooler
PRL cobra intake (race maf)
PRL turbo kit (GTX2860r Gen2)
PRL Flex fuel kit
PRL clutch line
FX350 clutch
Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers on swift springs
SPC adjustable rear camber arms
two identical sets of 17x9 Enkei RPF1's (for summer and winter track events)
Nitto Invo 245/40 (summer)
Michellin Pilot Sport AS3+ 245/40 (winter)
Stoptech front rotors
Hawk HPS 5.0 brake pads front and rear
Acuity shifter and transmission linkage bushings
Type R shifter with acuity spring and rocker arm
Acuity throttle pedal relocator
HFP side skirts and lip

refrigbowl8-3.jpg

IMG_20190803_152940.jpg

IMG_20190830_152604.jpg

IMG_20191111_133335.jpg

Image from iOS (1).jpg
I’m late on this thread but beautiful car man!! I like the way you built this here nothing to crazy but it also looks a lot more aggressive. Kudos to you bro!!