First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Stolen), 2013 Honda Accord Sport V6
Country flag
Damn bro I’m surprised a thief knows how to drive a manual
I thought MT would be a deterrent, guess not. I bet I made it easier for him by installing the Acuity short shift kit! Thieves that target Honda's probably know how to drive manuals, my car was targeted because they knew exactly what to pull from it
Sponsored

OP
OP
HondaFanz2018

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
you don't have to accept the first offer the insurance company gives you. if used cars of similar make/model/year are going for higher, you should push back.
Already have their cash in my bank. I broke even with maybe a little change, so happy with what I got

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
Man, that sucks. Having had a motorcycle stolen and recovered, I feel your pain.
After it was repaired, I got rid of it. Just didn't want the juju that went with it.

I'd be asking America's Tire to do something. It was their irresponsibility that led to the loss. At the very least, secure storage for customer keys. IDK, the way they work here, the repair order and the keys go in a sleeve so it would have been easy to just look through that and find "civic" and off the dude went.

I am kinda jealous of the Evora-what a cool car.

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Bruh tf I hope that tire shop is going to step up and take some responsibility for this... like how is someone going to walk in and go next to unguarded keys and just drive off??

Seems like someone should be guarding those keys or they should be in a locked box at least..
100% their responsibility. Insurance might not care though. Stolen car is a stolen car.

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
I'd be asking America's Tire to do something. It was their irresponsibility that led to the loss. At the very least, secure storage for customer keys. IDK, the way they work here, the repair order and the keys go in a sleeve so it would have been easy to just look through that and find "civic" and off the dude went.
an employee probably took the keys, of course he knows where they are kept,

then he gave the keys to "a friend" for some cash,

might have even been the guy who worked on the car, he "forgot" to put the keys back where they should be,

im sure this won't be the last time a car is "stolen" from that place

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag

might have even been the guy who worked on the car, he "forgot" to put the keys back where they should be,

Maybe. But you can bet America's/Discount Tire doesn't want a reputation for losing people's cars.

You'd might also be surprised by the number of locked office buildings and condo garages that experience theft by people who tag along with someone into the building/garage then rifles through purses and other opportunistic places. Or heads into the garage then lets someone else with a vehicle in.

Once you're familiar with the "security" process, it's very easy to just walk in and take something. My bet is the guy that stole the car doesn't know anyone at America's Tire. He just either stood around or watched from afar. Entirely possible he saw the car in the lot, walked in and just looked around for the keys. Or he was a former employee.

Masks and hoodies are a perfect recipe for thieves.

OP
OP
HondaFanz2018

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I didn't see the video footage, but the detective assigned to the case said from the footage he saw it looked like a crime of opportunity, with only one person in the lobby handling customers. He was there less than 10 minutes, when he saw the employee head to the back, he walked over and grabbed the plastic with the paperwork and my fob in it. My car had just been parked at the side of the building and the tech gave the employee the paperwork and fob so they can call me to pickup my car. What was negligent was that with only one employee in the front, he should not have left the fob and took it with him

OP
OP
HondaFanz2018

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe. But you can bet America's/Discount Tire doesn't want a reputation for losing people's cars.

You'd might also be surprised by the number of locked office buildings and condo garages that experience theft by people who tag along with someone into the building/garage then rifles through purses and other opportunistic places. Or heads into the garage then lets someone else with a vehicle in.

Once you're familiar with the "security" process, it's very easy to just walk in and take something. My bet is the guy that stole the car doesn't know anyone at America's Tire. He just either stood around or watched from afar. Entirely possible he saw the car in the lot, walked in and just looked around for the keys. Or he was a former employee.

Masks and hoodies are a perfect recipe for thieves.
That's exactly what the detective said. He was probably watching patterns and looking for an opportunity. He came in the lobby and was hanging in the back, maybe pretending to be waiting for someone, saw only one employee, a tech dropping off key and paperwork and the employee dropping off new paperwork to the shop area and made his move. He was in and out in 10 minutes or less. Could be an inside job, the the police don't think so

JW0914

Banned
Banned
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Orion Nebula
Country flag
Unless CA law states otherwise, the business is [likely] liable for replacement, which would be handled by their insurance company. Businesses that work on customer-owned equipment, whether it's vehicles or otherwise, must maintain a business insurance policy that covers them in the event of damage or theft of the customer's property
  • e.g. coverage of $250K business-owned product, $1M customer-owned theft/damage
    (such as a car being damaged by a lift or if the vehicle is stolen while in their posession)

OP
OP
HondaFanz2018

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unless CA law states otherwise, the business is [likely] liable for replacement, which would be handled by their insurance company. Businesses that work on customer-owned equipment, whether it's vehicles or otherwise, must maintain a business insurance policy that covers them in the event of damage or theft of the customer's property
  • e.g. coverage of $250K business-owned product, $1M customer-owned theft/damage
    (such as a car being damaged by a lift or if the vehicle is stolen while in their posession)
As I understand, my insurance is going after their insurance. It was faster and easier just to file a claim with my company. What would've ended up happening is their insurance would have made a low ball offer, and I would have to keep refusing, dragging it on. Also their insurance would have offered me Blue book low, my company (Esurance) pays out based on what the car is retailing in my local area. They even waived my deductible as the shop admitted fault. So going through my insurance, got paid in days, theirs I would have still been going back and forth
Sponsored