First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 VTi-L Sports Pack
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My Civic I'm sure my Honda dealer regrets selling to me. With 7 years warranty they agreed if there where any warranty issues they would collect my car from home and give me another new Honda to use while mine was having any issues resolved, but they said you wont have any and your in for owning a reliable car that should be issue free. OMG how bloody wrong could that be and to the point where the Honda dealer has to agree to the deal however they get the shits to the point of the new service manager being rude and making up new rules on the warranty which he has no right to do, where I've had to say I have an unlimited 7 year claim warranty and you'll have to suck it up.
Lets start with what is great with this car then go to what is just shit and you tell me do I get rid of it or just put up.
First up everyone says what a cool and very smart looking car. The CVT transmission is just amazing smooth and 100% issue free the gear change is perfect. The engine is trouble free, enough power for whatever comes up, the engine runs fine on the cheapest 91 fuel and if you drive in econ mode and drive gently you get an OK result of about 600km to a tank around town with a much better result on long distant highway driving. If you want to drive on hilly mountain roads up or down hills the Civic is just amazing, put it into manual mode and go crazy, the Civic acts controlled like a savage beast saying come on push me harder can't you do better than that, however tyres do play a part with the handling and with my new Kumho tyres which where bought to reduce road noise which I prefer over handling can slightly decrease handling. What else is good about this car....... come on think hard, nope that's it the rest is crap. Oh the keyless remote is great and the car can be opened from long distances. Thinking really hard brain about to explode OK this is it. My amazing mechanic of 30 years told me a Honda would be a first choice to buying a new car and I went on his advice and the services have always been reasonable in cost and he keeps saying good car Chris even though I bitch to him about all the other issues. One very important question I'm going to ask with the problems I've had with the Civic is am I too fussy and just OCD or I have every right to complain and get each issue fixed.
OK lets start with the issues with the Civic and I don't have to think too hard about them however I could forget some as there have been numerous to say the least. It's been to the point where I have been embarrassed when work colleagues and friends have said to me Oh you have a new car again and when I tell them no my Civic is getting a warranty issue fixed they say oh that car must be a lemon grrrrr. Anyway lets start with the worst and slowly work down -
Interior rattles and noises this car reeks of them and the demo I drove did the same which should of been a warning sign with me even telling the dealer the demo had a serious rattle in the dash right side, I hope my car does not do that, of course I was wrong mine did it and even the loan non Civic's the HRV's did the bloody same. The dash was rattle city, numerous returns only to send it back time and time again for the same issues. Over and over again the lovely service manager before would drive the car and say yes I hear the noise there and there. It would go into be fixed only to have noises return. The doors and pillars would do the same rattle, rattle quality control rubbish. I asked one of the honda guys is it just me being an OCD fussy bitch with these rattles and he said no your not the only one we infact have a rattle kit sent from Honda there are bits of sticky foam we stick on certain areas to try and fix the rattles, however the kits never fixed all the rattles and they still annoy on a daily basis. The very patient service manager at Honda all the time no matter what I gave to him as an issue with my Civic bent over backwards and was so polite to ensure whatever warranty arose he would deal with and not make me feel like I was being a pain in the ass to him. This however out of his control a lot of the time things came back as a quick cheap fix however not rectified. When something else went wrong I'd just say by the way this still has an issue. One of the major ones if you can call it that, the rear left and right seat belts would not retract correctly time and time again sent back saying the runners needed to be cleaned but that never fixed it. Passengers would get out of the back and every time the belts would get jammed in the door as it was closed, so frustrating. I think it was five times it went back for warranty claim to be fixed only me to demonstrate and not just advise these seat belts don't retract and need replacing Honda actuality did replace the left and right mechanisms and problem fixed OMG. Note on the job card states poor quality seat belt retractors need replacing. Lets move on the infotainment system which is so slow and sometimes non responsive where you have to turn the car off and on again for it to work again is a pain but I've had mine replace four times yes four times with various issues now just this week the volume level has decreased this is a wtf matter but where you could pump the sound loud the system has now gone into a volume limiting mode, like before max volume would distort terribly where at max 40 now it's loud but could go louder, the kids even say why can't it go louder like before. I feel if I bring this up with Honda their going to tell me to fuck off and never come back. To wrap this up because it's getting too verbose I'll just list the other issues - Water leaking into headlight and rear lights, wiper control out of control, door trim falling off , seat trim coming undone, shock absorber noise issue and one issue Honda won't fix as it is a "characteristic of the car" a vibration that goes through the car in drive not moving. Honda did replace the engine mount however it did not fix it and they demonstrated with another car that does it as well. Like I find some of the quality is just total crap like the tiny bits of plastic that hold the rubber in place under the bottom of the door that keeps falling off how does Honda get away with building such crap where as other parts of the car are excellent. I don't know but most time I wish I bought a boring Toyota Camery and life would have been better lol. Appreciate your feedback.
Cheers Chris
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think I would have lemon lawed that car a long time ago man. Never had any major issues with the 2 hatches I owned so I can't relate but there have been stories about the bad QC that was going on during the 10th gen.

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
Do you have a TL: DR?

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
Is there a lemon law where you're at? I've never heard of another car with that many issues, in my area the dealer would have to take it back or replace it like for like.

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
My Civic I'm sure my Honda dealer regrets selling to me. With 7 years warranty they agreed if there where any warranty issues they would collect my car from home and give me another new Honda to use while mine was having any issues resolved, but they said you wont have any and your in for owning a reliable car that should be issue free. OMG how bloody wrong could that be and to the point where the Honda dealer has to agree to the deal however they get the shits to the point of the new service manager being rude and making up new rules on the warranty which he has no right to do, where I've had to say I have an unlimited 7 year claim warranty and you'll have to suck it up.
Lets start with what is great with this car then go to what is just shit and you tell me do I get rid of it or just put up.
First up everyone says what a cool and very smart looking car. The CVT transmission is just amazing smooth and 100% issue free the gear change is perfect. The engine is trouble free, enough power for whatever comes up, the engine runs fine on the cheapest 91 fuel and if you drive in econ mode and drive gently you get an OK result of about 600km to a tank around town with a much better result on long distant highway driving. If you want to drive on hilly mountain roads up or down hills the Civic is just amazing, put it into manual mode and go crazy, the Civic acts controlled like a savage beast saying come on push me harder can't you do better than that, however tyres do play a part with the handling and with my new Kumho tyres which where bought to reduce road noise which I prefer over handling can slightly decrease handling. What else is good about this car....... come on think hard, nope that's it the rest is crap. Oh the keyless remote is great and the car can be opened from long distances. Thinking really hard brain about to explode OK this is it. My amazing mechanic of 30 years told me a Honda would be a first choice to buying a new car and I went on his advice and the services have always been reasonable in cost and he keeps saying good car Chris even though I bitch to him about all the other issues. One very important question I'm going to ask with the problems I've had with the Civic is am I too fussy and just OCD or I have every right to complain and get each issue fixed.
OK lets start with the issues with the Civic and I don't have to think too hard about them however I could forget some as there have been numerous to say the least. It's been to the point where I have been embarrassed when work colleagues and friends have said to me Oh you have a new car again and when I tell them no my Civic is getting a warranty issue fixed they say oh that car must be a lemon grrrrr. Anyway lets start with the worst and slowly work down -
Interior rattles and noises this car reeks of them and the demo I drove did the same which should of been a warning sign with me even telling the dealer the demo had a serious rattle in the dash right side, I hope my car does not do that, of course I was wrong mine did it and even the loan non Civic's the HRV's did the bloody same. The dash was rattle city, numerous returns only to send it back time and time again for the same issues. Over and over again the lovely service manager before would drive the car and say yes I hear the noise there and there. It would go into be fixed only to have noises return. The doors and pillars would do the same rattle, rattle quality control rubbish. I asked one of the honda guys is it just me being an OCD fussy bitch with these rattles and he said no your not the only one we infact have a rattle kit sent from Honda there are bits of sticky foam we stick on certain areas to try and fix the rattles, however the kits never fixed all the rattles and they still annoy on a daily basis. The very patient service manager at Honda all the time no matter what I gave to him as an issue with my Civic bent over backwards and was so polite to ensure whatever warranty arose he would deal with and not make me feel like I was being a pain in the ass to him. This however out of his control a lot of the time things came back as a quick cheap fix however not rectified. When something else went wrong I'd just say by the way this still has an issue. One of the major ones if you can call it that, the rear left and right seat belts would not retract correctly time and time again sent back saying the runners needed to be cleaned but that never fixed it. Passengers would get out of the back and every time the belts would get jammed in the door as it was closed, so frustrating. I think it was five times it went back for warranty claim to be fixed only me to demonstrate and not just advise these seat belts don't retract and need replacing Honda actuality did replace the left and right mechanisms and problem fixed OMG. Note on the job card states poor quality seat belt retractors need replacing. Lets move on the infotainment system which is so slow and sometimes non responsive where you have to turn the car off and on again for it to work again is a pain but I've had mine replace four times yes four times with various issues now just this week the volume level has decreased this is a wtf matter but where you could pump the sound loud the system has now gone into a volume limiting mode, like before max volume would distort terribly where at max 40 now it's loud but could go louder, the kids even say why can't it go louder like before. I feel if I bring this up with Honda their going to tell me to fuck off and never come back. To wrap this up because it's getting too verbose I'll just list the other issues - Water leaking into headlight and rear lights, wiper control out of control, door trim falling off , seat trim coming undone, shock absorber noise issue and one issue Honda won't fix as it is a "characteristic of the car" a vibration that goes through the car in drive not moving. Honda did replace the engine mount however it did not fix it and they demonstrated with another car that does it as well. Like I find some of the quality is just total crap like the tiny bits of plastic that hold the rubber in place under the bottom of the door that keeps falling off how does Honda get away with building such crap where as other parts of the car are excellent. I don't know but most time I wish I bought a boring Toyota Camery and life would have been better lol. Appreciate your feedback.
Cheers Chris
Most of the money in these cars goes into the engine. The rest is pretty cheap. A lot of the issues you mwntiones have nothing to do with rhe car driving or electrical working so i wouldnt say its really relibility. Im loving my 2017 civic and I've had it since new. I have a minor ac issue but after re charge its fine. Nothing lasts forever what model do you have ? I test drove a coupe before my sport and the coupe felt much cheaper as soon as i turned the key in my sport I felt thr quality difference. My black out on the window trim is melted at the bottoms a bit as I park outside and the sun hs baked it years on years. I may get it re done at my job

OP
OP
Chris Storey

Chris Storey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 VTi-L Sports Pack
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey so my model is 2nd from top of the line and yes I do think it is still reliable however one thing also that is a pain is the battery will not hold charge to restart the car if the accessory is on any longer than 10 mins so I have to carry a battery charger just incase. No oil leaks which I love so yes the money is spent more on engine. Did I mention road noise is terrible if you want to run sporty tyres.
Anyways I'll try put up with the car at least till the warranty runs out. Thank you for the feedback.
Cheers Chris

steemed.beans

First Name
Johnson, Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic coupe sport manual
Country flag
OEM speakers shouldn’t distort at max volume unless you boost all the eq or your source audio has built in dB boost; dB boost would also cause rattles. This is probably why Honda tried a firmware update which changed your overall volume output. It sounds like the factory amp was being pushed too much at peak causing the distortion.

Lemon law only dictates the dealer attempted three times to fix the same problem on paper with no luck; assuming you live in a lemon law state you might have a case.

You said the car was new?

Why an earth was the head unit replaced four times on a new car?

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
Factory batteries are a known problem on these cars, I had to replace mine shortly after I got it (used, was three years old then), and there's plenty of other posts on the forum about it.

Are you running the stereo at max volume all the time? Aside from the likely hearing loss, I wonder if that's part of the reason you've needed replacements- seems like it would be similar to going everywhere at full throttle, more sustained stress than it's really meant for. Constant max volume might also explain some of the rattles.

Dongespe

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback, 2018 Honda Od
Country flag
I have a 2021 Sport Hatchback, and Love love mine. I have the vibration or rattle you do. The only time I hear it is when I have a passenger with me. Why? I usually have the sound system on and it covers the rattle. I Do NOT have the distorted sound and I have great base and a very “rich” sound. I do have the slow response occasionally and even have to pullover, shutdown the car and turn everything back on to get Apple CarPlay working again.
For me these are we livable things. However, you shouldn’t feel bad about being incredibly particular about want you want.

Dongespe

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback, 2018 Honda Od
Country flag
OK, After I sent my last post, I put my IT hat on. With 4 head units replaced, I don’t believe it to be a hardware issue. My “Gibbs gut” makes me think it possibly a firmware issue in the head unit. Until Honda address’s it, replacing the head won’t do anything.

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
Hey so my model is 2nd from top of the line and yes I do think it is still reliable .....
All that means is that you have more options than the lower tier. It has nothing to do with build quality.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The CVT transmission is just amazing smooth and 100% issue free the gear change is perfect. The engine is trouble free, enough power for whatever comes up, the engine runs fine on the cheapest 91 fuel and if you drive in econ mode and drive gently you get an OK result of about 600km to a tank around town with a much better result on long distant highway driving. If you want to drive on hilly mountain roads up or down hills the Civic is just amazing, put it into manual mode and go crazy, the Civic acts controlled like a savage beast saying come on push me harder can't you do better than that...
Oh yes, I totally can relate

Interior rattles and noises this car reeks of them and the demo I drove did the same which should of been a warning sign with me even telling the dealer the demo had a serious rattle in the dash right side, I hope my car does not do that, of course I was wrong mine did it and even the loan non Civic's the HRV's did the bloody same.
That seems like a common problem with many 10th gen Civics. On mine it's not that bad, but I still find it pretty annoying.

the rear left and right seat belts would not retract correctly time and time again sent back saying the runners needed to be cleaned but that never fixed
That's horrible, I never heard of anybody with that problem.

Lets move on the infotainment system which is so slow and sometimes non responsive
Can relate, Infotainment system is hideous.

Water leaking into headlight and rear lights,
I have heard of some Civic hatchbacks which have this problem

wiper control out of control
Yes the automatic wipers sensor is not doing that well

a vibration that goes through the car in drive not moving. Honda did replace the engine mount however it did not fix it and they demonstrated with another car that does it as well.
Unfortunately that's normal. RPMs are too low while idling in drive. There are a lot of threads about this issue and some people here solved it with Ktuner.

and you tell me do I get rid of it or just put up.
I'd get rid of it, there are too many problems with the car. I'd say it has nothing to do with OCD lol. If I would have all those problems, I'd buy a Toyota instead of a Honda next time.

Last edited:

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hey so my model is 2nd from top of the line and yes I do think it is still reliable however one thing also that is a pain is the battery will not hold charge to restart the car if the accessory is on any longer than 10 mins so I have to carry a battery charger just incase. No oil leaks which I love so yes the money is spent more on engine. Did I mention road noise is terrible if you want to run sporty tyres.
Anyways I'll try put up with the car at least till the warranty runs out. Thank you for the feedback.
Cheers Chris
Get a new battery. Ac delco or interstate is what ive used.
Also most sporty tires will make noise. I just went to 9.5” wide wheels and get some road noise too with brand new otani tires
Sponsored