My Black Stone oil analysis result on 2017 Ex HB

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't even go off the MM. I just change mine by mileage and if it starts to get dark and smell of gas.
Sponsored

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1.5% is fine. I've had a 7500mi OCI before. If my car wasn't covidling so dang much, I was gonna go for 8-10k mi OCI.
Your UOA has 75x the magnesium as any of mine... Highest I was measured at was 11. Other than that, you have very low wear numbers compared to me. I range 12-17 on Al, and 19-25 on Iron. My calcium is nearly twice your number; that could just be the oil itself.

If you are worried about wear, use an additive with Molybdenum. Liqui Moly MOS2. The Moly Count on my UOAs is 200-370ppm. There are also products that form a ceramic or tungsten-alloy layer on high-wear surfaces.

Next time, consider getting the TBN Measured. It indicates how much life is left in the additive package for your oil.
If you are really worried about your oil being "thin" you could try an oil additive like STP or Liqui Moly Viscoplus after 3500mi instead of changing all the oil. But your viscosity doesn't look bad vs mine: I've had ~47-49 regularly.

Last edited:

Martin Riggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Pay for the TBN next time. Prob changing the oil prematurely and can go longer. You will get mix reviews about black stone oil analysts.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
The easiest thing you can do to combat oil dilution is change your oil early. Which can be done in your garage with a fluid pump in a matter of minutes. Without lifting the car. Just the oil. No need to change a filter at low mileage.

Just pump out the diluted oil. Refill with good oil. Carry on. Don’t reset the MM. Use the MM to remind you when to change the filter.
Where did you get that?

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Where did you get that?
I've used one in the past, before I had a garage. That one pictured is fancier. Look up 12V Oil Extractor Pump. With mine, you connect a tube to each end of the pump, lower the skinny tube down the oil check tube, place the other in a container, and flip a switch.

Problem with using an extractor is the undisolved non-metallic solids and metal flecks don't get removed as well as with a fluid change.

If you've got a garage, get ramps or two jacks and two stands, and install a drain valve. Oil change, with filter at home doesn't take long. Plus, with not paying for labor the UOA w/ TBN is not a third cost anymore. Doesn't hurt to get under the car every so often and be in position to perform a visual inspection either. Leaks, cracked or worn hangers, and suspension components are some things to check.
Sponsored