My Black Stone oil analysis result on 2017 Ex HB

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Here is my Black Stone oil analysis for my 2017 EX HB at 30,000 miles. I have been using Mobil 1 oil and oil filters since day one, have been changing the oil religiously at 30% oil indicator. Only recently i switched to Pennzoil and OEM Honda oil filter. What do you guys think?

Honda Civic 10th gen My Black Stone oil analysis result on 2017 Ex HB oil analysis at 30k miles
Sponsored

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Fuel dilution is well over 5%, BS methodology of testing for FD is faulty. Low viscosity due to fuel dilution. Going to 5w30 is strongly suggested to offset for loss of viscosity. Many have switch including myself and having great results. Wear metals are equal to those I had with 8K miles run with 5w30.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'm by no means an expert but between the flash point, viscosity, and fuel dilution metrics it does seem to be a bit thin to me. Obviously not to the point where your motor is wearing abnormally, but something to consider.

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I'm by no means an expert but between the flash point, viscosity, and fuel dilution metrics it does seem to be a bit thin to me. Obviously not to the point where your motor is wearing abnormally, but something to consider.

What do you suggest? switch to a thicker oil?

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
What do you suggest? switch to a thicker oil?
Yep. If you’re uncomfortable going too thick, there are some “thin” 5w30 oils out there. Notice on your report, it gives the range for 20 grade up to 9.4cSt? I run Valvoline Modern Engine 5w30 because it is on the thin side for a 30 grade. 9.8cSt@100°C according to their data sheet.

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Yep. If you’re uncomfortable going too thick, there are some “thin” 5w30 oils out there. Notice on your report, it gives the range for 20 grade up to 9.4cSt? I run Valvoline Modern Engine 5w30 because it is on the thin side for a 30 grade. 9.8cSt@100°C according to their data sheet.

i don't know much about motor oil, i just use the oil grade stated by the manufacture.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Maybe start changing your oil at 40% or 50% instead of 30% instead of messing with different oil grades.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i don't know much about motor oil, i just use the oil grade stated by the manufacture.
all the specifications are usually available on the manufacturers websites. Usually in a PDS (Product Data Sheet) or technical data sheet.

bobistheoilguy.com is a fantastic resource for learning about oil. There is far more to oil than the numbers on the bottle.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 "Clifford" Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2015 Civic EX 5MT
Country flag
I got my Civic Hatch about a week ago and checked oil today. Turns out the dealership didn't change oil as it was black and over the max line on the dipstick. Also reeked of gasoline so I got it swapped asap. Using 0w30 Mobil 1. Gonna change at 40% and probably get an oil catch can.

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I got my Civic Hatch about a week ago and checked oil today. Turns out the dealership didn't change oil as it was black and over the max line on the dipstick. Also reeked of gasoline so I got it swapped asap. Using 0w30 Mobil 1. Gonna change at 40% and probably get an oil catch can.

yea...i might need to change it at 40% too, I thought about oil catch can, but do you know if it helps with oil dilution?

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
No. It reduces oil sludge buildup on the back of the intake valves.
This has not been a big problem so far on Civics.

i just google this actually, right before your message...yeah...it doesn't do anything for oil dilution

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i just google this actually, right before your message...yeah...it doesn't do anything for oil dilution
How many oil changes so far? 3?

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
How many oil changes so far? 3?

I don't remember how many total. But i change oil at 30% each time, have been using only Mobile 1 0W-20. The last change @ 30k mile was early ( at 60% MM), because i suspect i had oil dilution.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The easiest thing you can do to combat oil dilution is change your oil early. Which can be done in your garage with a fluid pump in a matter of minutes. Without lifting the car. Just the oil. No need to change a filter at low mileage.

Just pump out the diluted oil. Refill with good oil. Carry on. Don’t reset the MM. Use the MM to remind you when to change the filter.

Honda Civic 10th gen My Black Stone oil analysis result on 2017 Ex HB 2FB9D017-D01D-4571-83BA-CDAB0F6D883F
Sponsored