My biggest beef with the CVT

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Reiterating this after going shopping tonight:
The one thing that I still can't get used to is how the sound of the engine doesn't match the speed of the car.

This is at its most noticeable when I'm behind someone and accelerating from a stoplight. I expect to hear the engine RPM increase, but it doesn't, because we're just not accelerating very quickly, and the CVT-engine-combo relaxes the RPMs to match the milquetoast "acceleration" that's happening.

Reflexively, then, I feel like I'm coasting, or even decelerating, because that's what the engine sounds like. I can watch the speedometer and see the MPH number increasing (bit-by-bit!), but it doesn't feel or sound like we're accelerating.
I've also said that it's a fascinating piece of technology, letting gasoline engines stay relevant in the limited time they have left on the market.

BUT STILL...

I made sure to pay attention to speed versus RPM (thereby "speed versus engine *vroom* noise") tonight when I was stuck behind a slow Corolla leaving a stoplight. I don't think I needed more than 15% throttle, and the engine RPMs never went above 2k, so it never sounded like I was going anywhere.

Even a traditional automatic would've shifted two or three times as we gradually accelerated, but the infinitely variable CVT had the engine stay at a lazy rev range when—like magic—I realized I was finally traveling at 45 mph.

In a roundabout way, my beef with the CVT means that I WISH I HAD A SPEEDOMETER NEEDLE to see my speed. When 10 mph sounds like "rrrrrrr" and 45 sounds like "rrrrrrr", I get a little confused.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So should the CVT accelerate like a dual clutch transmission?

Like this on ~~> Skip to 2:23

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
So should the CVT accelerate like a dual clutch transmission?

Like this on ~~> Skip to 2:23
You mean how it downshifts when he puts his foot down?

My CVT does that already.

Like I was saying, though, under light throttle, it doesn't need to downshift at all, and can accelerate by varying the ratio while the engine stays at a constant RPM.

Daruga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport hatch
I would have to say my biggest beef with the CVT is 2 have failed on my 2017 hatchback sport within 17982 miles.

The first issue was the grinding at start up and I had the valve body and CVT fluid changed out I believe around 900 miles on my odometer.

Then at around 2185 miles the first transmission blew itself up at a stoplight. I had my transmission replaced under warranty by honda but again my transmission blew up at 17982 miles, roughly 9 months after the first incident. I am still waiting to hear back from Honda North America about this situation.

And to make matters worse they will only replace parts under warranty with refurbished parts not new... I am extremely disappointed with Honda's quality and customer service.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
I would have to say my biggest beef with the CVT is 2 have failed on my 2017 hatchback sport within 17982 miles.

The first issue was the grinding at start up and I had the valve body and CVT fluid changed out I believe around 900 miles on my odometer.

Then at around 2185 miles the first transmission blew itself up at a stoplight. I had my transmission replaced under warranty by honda but again my transmission blew up at 17982 miles, roughly 9 months after the first incident. I am still waiting to hear back from Honda North America about this situation.

And to make matters worse they will only replace parts under warranty with refurbished parts not new... I am extremely disappointed with Honda's quality and customer service.
Wow that is unfortunate, any more details about the car and when / how it broke? Tuned etc? Not many CVTs have broken so far and many have been abused.

Daruga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport hatch
Wow that is unfortunate, any more details about the car and when / how it broke? Tuned etc? Not many CVTs have broken so far and many have been abused.
No tune, No bolt ons or any modifications of any type. It was in sport mode, no paddle shifters used, both blew up from a stop 40%-60% throttle used.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
The CVT is a fail as far as I’m concerned, and for the manual, they used a cheap ass clutch assembly. Guess that’s where they decided to use less costs, it clearly shows.

Last edited:

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Having owned 4 Honda's and 1 Acura, it's funny how each year they get worse. I now get why they say modern day cars suck. They seem to focus on technology and take out from the most important thing to me, driving experience

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I don't hate the CVT but I think Honda could have done a better job implementing it. I'm about 90% ok with it but the other 10% makes me wanna hit my head against a wall.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't hate the CVT but I think Honda could have done a better job implementing it. I'm about 90% ok with it but the other 10% makes me wanna hit my head against a wall.
Definitely agree with this. That extra 10% would have elevated this from a really good powertrain to an excellent one. When it stumbles, it falls hard.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Erick.FK8

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
suplifestylemovement.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Opening up this thread once more.
So looking into more of that throttle response and accelaration issue, I came upon the Pedal Commander. No increase of hp but more of a signal to the throttle to have that quick acceleration we need and have been discussing. Cost shows $300 and reviews seems fairly good on other cars. So anyone considering to be the guinea pig on this? Post your thoughts and results if you've tried this. Here's their website:

https://www.pedalcommander.com/

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, even if that throttle response thing actually works, I don't think it would address the CVT lag issue. The issue is that the CVT responds a little slow to big throttle changes. Most of the time it's not horrible but in emergency (accident avoidance) situations where you need power NOW, it's not good at all.

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly, even if that throttle response thing actually works, I don't think it would address the CVT lag issue. The issue is that the CVT responds a little slow to big throttle changes. Most of the time it's not horrible but in emergency (accident avoidance) situations where you need power NOW, it's not good at all.
Has anyone got into an accident due to the cvt lag?
Sponsored