My biggest beef with the CVT

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Has anyone got into an accident due to the cvt lag?
A few close calls. Merging into traffic from a complete stop and the cvt doesn't engage thus rolling awkwardly into oncoming traffic
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Kelbo400

First Name
Kel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T
Hi. I’m a new member.
What are the odds disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes will help. Trying to temper my hopes but if it takes it back to how the turbo and cvt* performed when it was new that would be great because the car didn’t have this much hesitation in the first 15,000 mi.
* sounds like the cvt won’t/can’t change though.
Also, is a k-tuner the same thing as a k&n cold air intake system?
Thanks in advance for the education.

sbace_hamb

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7
Country flag
Hi. I’m a new member.
What are the odds disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes will help. Trying to temper my hopes but if it takes it back to how the turbo and cvt* performed when it was new that would be great because the car didn’t have this much hesitation in the first 15,000 mi.
* sounds like the cvt won’t/can’t change though.
Thanks in advance for the education.
A K-tuner is not the same thing as a cold air intake. A cold air intake is exactly what it sounds like, you replace your stock intake box with something higher flow and higher performance. K-tuner is an ECU flash tune, you overwrite the stock tune (which determines throttle response, turbo spool, boost, fueling, the whole nine yards) with a tune more geared for performance. A K-tuner will transform how your car drives, a cold air intake will not be that drastic.

delayedend

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hyundai Kona N, 17 Civic Coupe Touring (Sold)
Country flag
What are the odds disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes will help. ...takes it back to how the turbo and cvt* performed when it was new ...the car didn’t have this much hesitation in the first 15,000 mi.

1. Disconnecting the battery is very unlikely to help the situation at all. Do you have any check engine lights?

2. I'm assuming you're not tuned, is the CVT making any noises or does it feel like it's slipping? Is it dramatically more hesitant than before?

3. Do you have a K&N intake? I would recommend switching, as people have had issues with it. If you still want a short ram, I would recommend the PRL Short Ram Intake.

Kelbo400

First Name
Kel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T
A K-tuner is not the same thing as a cold air intake. A cold air intake is exactly what it sounds like, you replace your stock intake box with something higher flow and higher performance. K-tuner is an ECU flash tune, you overwrite the stock tune (which determines throttle response, turbo spool, boost, fueling, the whole nine yards) with a tune more geared for performance. A K-tuner will transform how your car drives, a cold air intake will not be that drastic.
Thanks. Is a flash tune a computer adjustment /tuneup?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Flashing a tune essentially erases the stock Honda tune and replaces it with a much better, more refined aftermarket tune. More hp and tq, better throttle response, less lag etc...

You generally do need to run it on premium gas but the difference from stock is incredible.

sbace_hamb

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7
Country flag
Thanks. Is a flash tune a computer adjustment /tuneup?
You do need a computer at some step of the way, which step depends on which Ktuner you get. The V1.2 is required to be hooked up to a laptop actively running the Ktuner software in order to flash a tune. With the V2 you can load the tune onto the device at a computer, and then with only the device flash the tune onto your ECU.

Ktuner is a device whether you buy the V1.2 or the V2. The device comes with Ktuner's basemap tunes, which are an improvement over stock, or if you buy the device from TSP or Phearable they will include one of their (even better) tunes with your device.

There are a ton of threads on these topics if you search around a bit.
Sponsored