My BCM is faulty. How easy is it to replace myself?

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
So I took my car in to the dealer for a faulty door sensor issue. The car would think the driver door is opening and closing while the engine is on and/while I’m driving. Nothing consistent it just starts happening randomly. Dealer says it’s the bcm and that it needs to be replaced. How easy is it for me to do myself because he’s asking for $1400 to replace it.
Sponsored

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Why is this not covered under warranty? Are you over the 3/36k?

OP
OP
onions

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
Yeah it’s a ‘17.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
800,000 Accords have been recalled for the BCM. Can this help convince Honda to do something for you?

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
I don't think you can install it yourself unless you have a capable scan tool to code the new BCM.

Rochyfc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Its not that hard at all. It's located next to under dash fuse box. Your keys would need to be reprogrammed to the new bcm.

OP
OP
onions

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
The last two posts confuse me. Do I need a scan tool of some kind? I assume the dealer has to reprogram my existing key fob? Is the the reason I need the scan tool?

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
The last two posts confuse me. Do I need a scan tool of some kind? I assume the dealer has to reprogram my existing key fob? Is the the reason I need the scan tool?
You need something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133506103611

$1,400 seems a bit excessive to replace/reprogram the BCM, I would definitely check out a different dealer.

I too am having electrical issues as my dash lights are flickering nonstop and draining my new batteries every time.

OP
OP
onions

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
i assume then that that thing do more than just reprogram keys?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
You will need to have this done at the dealer. The immobilizer system is part of the BCM, so we need to use the dealer scan tool (HDS) in order to tell the car we are replacing it. Replacing the BCM is not hard, but the car will be a paper weight as soon as it's done and will not start in your driveway until the keys are programed to the car again. So if you are trying to save money, you could always replace it yourself by ordering online and then towing the car to the dealer and have them program the keys, usually 1hr of labor at their shop rate.

But more important to the issue, did the dealer replace the door sensor or no? It's one 8mm bolt and takes all of 30 seconds to replace.

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
You will need to have this done at the dealer. The immobilizer system is part of the BCM, so we need to use the dealer scan tool (HDS) in order to tell the car we are replacing it. Replacing the BCM is not hard, but the car will be a paper weight as soon as it's done and will not start in your driveway until the keys are programed to the car again. So if you are trying to save money, you could always replace it yourself by ordering online and then towing the car to the dealer and have them program the keys, usually 1hr of labor at their shop rate.

But more important to the issue, did the dealer replace the door sensor or no? It's one 8mm bolt and takes all of 30 seconds to replace.
How long will it take to reprogram it if you don’t mind me asking.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
How long will it take to reprogram it if you don’t mind me asking.
Depending on the work load of the shop, maybe an hour or so wait, the actual job to program the keys/immobilizer takes about 5 minutes.
Sponsored