Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Is it the Keihin corporation who designed and manufactured all of the civic's HVAC system?

Of course, in the end it doesn't matter, because it's all on Honda. I don't care who they hire, I just want a car that's at least close to the current standards of reliability.

But... looking at Keihin web site
https://www.keihin-corp.co.jp/en/activity/csrpolicy.html

including all the Japanese business bullshit (The Five Joys), "we love the environment" bullshit, "oh, the humanity" bullshit, "our precious employees" bullshit, and "safety first" bullshit (The Five Cardinal Bullshits),

the end result is that they still manufacture:
complete garbage.:rofl:

I wonder about two things: which of the Five Joys is having every single part of the AC system fail independently in a sequence?
and will Keihin still have the money to be so nice to their employees if they have to pay for all the recalls?
Sponsored

kevoco333

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7
Country flag
I guess it's 4 year or 48,000 miles, whichever is still not exceeded, because you had all these warranty repairs after 48,000 miles?
Yes Gruber, my warranty is 4 year/48,000 miles whichever is not exceeded. I have 28,000 miles right now and only drive about 7500 miles per year so I will be well under 48,000 miles when my bumper to bumper warranty expires in 2022. I originally planned to keep this car for 10 years or more. Now, I am not sure about that after reading all the horror stories about our ac system. It sucks because I really like my car.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Yes Gruber, my warranty is 4 year/48,000 miles whichever is not exceeded. I have 28,000 miles right now and only drive about 7500 miles per year so I will be well under 48,000 miles when my bumper to bumper warranty expires in 2022. I originally planned to keep this car for 10 years or more. Now, I am not sure about that after reading all the horror stories about our ac system. It sucks because I really like my car.
OK, I confused you with the OP who had all these warranty repairs at much higher mileage.

OP
OP
Legendary 88

Legendary 88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Well, I managed to make it a week before the A/C stopped working. I guess the compressor is bad/leaking.

OP
OP
Legendary 88

Legendary 88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
The A/C saga continues…

08/27 – Called Honda corporate and spoke with someone that was genuinely concerned. I asked why my extended warranty wasn’t covering this. They created a case, took down all of the history with the car, all of my ownership history for the past 27 years as well. I was told a case manager would call me back in three days.

8/28 – Honda calls to let me know my case has been assigned and that some would call me next week.

A week goes by, no call. So I call, leave a message.

9/8 – Still no call back. I call again, leave a message. Then I call the standard line and ask for the status of the case. They state that they have contacted my dealer and the dealer should be calling me. I get the name of the person at the dealer, (FYI: Blake Farmer Auto Nation O’Hare Honda) I call him and leave a message.

9/9 – No calls today

9/10 – Honda case manager calls me back, finally! Tells me Honda is willing to cover $800 of the $1800 repair. I’m kinda pissed at this point. So I ask why isn’t this covered by my extended warranty? His response, “I don’t know, we don’t have access to Hondacare information.” So I tell him thanks for pisssing away two weeks of my time, and if the is the kind of B.S. Honda is pulling I might as well buy a Ford next.

So I call up Hondacare, speak with them and ask why the dealer is telling me this isn’t covered by my extended warranty? Their responses, “They told you WHAT? It’s absolutely covered!”.

So at this point, I’m done with Autonation O’Hare Honda. I call another dealer, explain the situation, set up the appointment for Monday the 14th.

Still no callback from Blake Farmer Auto Nation O’Hare Honda

09/14 – Drop off car 7:30 AM. I get a call around 3:00. They’ve inspected the system, they found the main line to the compressor wasn’t fully seated and that all of the Freon and oil leaked out and blew out the o-ring. So they can’t check the compressor because the system is empty. On top of that they found that the evaporator also has a leak. (They sent me a nice video walk through of the whole inspection) So they have to order a new evaporator and to replace it they have to take the dashboard out of the car. Once they have everything back together and charge the system they can check the compressor. Because this is a multi-day issue they gave me a loaner.

Still no callback from Blake Farmer Auto Nation O’Hare Honda…and if he ever does I’ll let him know how royally they screwed up.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The A/C saga continues…

08/27 – Called Honda corporate and spoke with someone that was genuinely concerned. I asked why my extended warranty wasn’t covering this. They created a case, took down all of the history with the car, all of my ownership history for the past 27 years as well. I was told a case manager would call me back in three days.

8/28 – Honda calls to let me know my case has been assigned and that some would call me next week.

A week goes by, no call. So I call, leave a message.

9/8 – Still no call back. I call again, leave a message. Then I call the standard line and ask for the status of the case. They state that they have contacted my dealer and the dealer should be calling me. I get the name of the person at the dealer, (FYI: Blake Farmer Auto Nation O’Hare Honda) I call him and leave a message.

9/9 – No calls today

9/10 – Honda case manager calls me back, finally! Tells me Honda is willing to cover $800 of the $1800 repair. I’m kinda pissed at this point. So I ask why isn’t this covered by my extended warranty? His response, “I don’t know, we don’t have access to Hondacare information.” So I tell him thanks for pisssing away two weeks of my time, and if the is the kind of B.S. Honda is pulling I might as well buy a Ford next.

So I call up Hondacare, speak with them and ask why the dealer is telling me this isn’t covered by my extended warranty? Their responses, “They told you WHAT? It’s absolutely covered!”.

So at this point, I’m done with Autonation O’Hare Honda. I call another dealer, explain the situation, set up the appointment for Monday the 14th.

Still no callback from Blake Farmer Auto Nation O’Hare Honda

09/14 – Drop off car 7:30 AM. I get a call around 3:00. They’ve inspected the system, they found the main line to the compressor wasn’t fully seated and that all of the Freon and oil leaked out and blew out the o-ring. So they can’t check the compressor because the system is empty. On top of that they found that the evaporator also has a leak. (They sent me a nice video walk through of the whole inspection) So they have to order a new evaporator and to replace it they have to take the dashboard out of the car. Once they have everything back together and charge the system they can check the compressor. Because this is a multi-day issue they gave me a loaner.

Still no callback from Blake Farmer Auto Nation O’Hare Honda…and if he ever does I’ll let him know how royally they screwed up.
3 weeks... and I know it’s been going awhile before that. Rough. It sounds like the earlier place don’t have techs that are worth a damn to perform an inspection.

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
Getting my A/C compressor replaced at 118,000 miles. I have the HondaCare 120k mile warranty. Symptom was A/C on the coldest setting was blowing lukewarm air. Oh yea I have a 2016 Honda Civic Ex-L and yes I drive ALOT!

Edit: I said Ex-T originally and I meant Ex-L with Nav

Last edited:

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Getting my A/C compressor replaced at 118,000 miles. I have the HondaCare 120k mile warranty. Symptom was A/C on the coldest setting was blowing lukewarm air. Oh yea I have a 2016 Honda Civic Ex-T and yes I drive ALOT!
Man, you had the most out of it before it failed on you.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
For those of you that have experienced the A/C failure, does this scenario sound familiar:

I just started noticing strange climate system behavior about 1.25 years from purchasing new. I'll set the air ~65 degrees and it will be fine for the first half hour of driving, but then out of nowhere the air suddenly turns hot and the fan speed seems to speed up (but I am not using the auto climate control). I try and turn the temp down but the air stays hot until I get to "Lo", which does then blow fairly cold air. However, turning the temp to anything above 58 degrees just gives me the hot air again. If I continue to drive for about half an hour more (this was on a road trip) then the air at ~65 again feels normal. But eventually it intermittently repeat the pattern of sudden hot air unless I'm at "Lo". Also, I noticed once or twice when the air seems fine, increasing my cruise control speed by 1 press suddenly sent hot air out of my vents for about 2 seconds.

Does this sound like the death knells of my condenser/compressor? I'm holding out hope because cold air is still accessible at the lowest setting... Coincidentally, I also flashed my car with a tune for the first time just before I started noticing my climate system acting up. However, I'm doubting that's the culprit.

thenightshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Yea dealer did the same to me, replaced condenser under the TSB but wanted $1800 for the compressor which was on back order at the time. I did the whole deal, called corporate, this is my 6th Honda bla bla bla to no real avail. That original replacement lasted me about a year, then I did a recharge which cost me about $300 to get some cold air back. few months back I had to do it again cuz the summer months finally beat down my AC. Does anyone know if a third party AC system can be installed? Cuz there doesn't seem to be any point in putting in an OEM part that isn't covered and is potentially just a new version of a failed design.

vnp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Ex
Country flag
My warranty was denied since my car was modded. Been just refilling it with r-1234y until the winter.
Sponsored