My AC Compressor is bad (maybe?)

Legendary 88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Short version
Last week I brought my 2016 (75,352 miles) Touring into the Honda Dealership because the AC isn't working. They say it's the condenser and it's covered under the extended warranty, but they have to order the part. Yesterday I bring it in to get it replaced, they do the work, but now they say the compressor is bad. $1,800.00 to do the job because it's not covered under the extended warranty.

Long version
May 2019 - 57,277 miles - Bing car into Honda, A/C isn't working, dealed charged freon - Warranty repair
June 2019 - 58,490 miles - Bring car back because A/C isn't working again. Dealer replaces compressor. - Warranty repair
July 2019 - 59,784 miles - Bring car back because A/C isn't working again. Dealer replaces condenser. - Warranty repair
Nov 2019 - Receive warranty extension letter from Honda for condenser
Aug 2020 - 75,352 miles - Bring car back because A/C isn't working again. Dealer replaces condenser under the extended warranty. But now they say the compressor is bad. It's not covered under the extended warranty AND there is only a 12 warranty on the part they replace in June of last year. I call Honda corporate to see what they can do. Honda pulls my recorcords and can see every Honda and Acura I've owned for the past 26 years. All service records are immaculate. They tell me the same thing the dealer told me, out of warranty, too bad, sorry, we're not going to do anything to help you out. I call the dealer back, they want $1,800.00 to replace the compressor. I told them no way, not on a part that is year old and a car that is 4 years old. This part should not fail, AT ALL! I pick up the car and drive it home and the A/C is working, air is cold as ice.

So what is everyones thoughts? Is the compressor bad?
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
So let me clarify it, your air is still cold right? Passenger and driver side?

Where there times that it was blowing warm air and taking a long time to cool the air?

OP
OP
Legendary 88

Legendary 88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Before the condenser repair, warm air only, both sides.
After the condenser repair, It was cold the whole 40 min drive home yesterday.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did they use a sniffer to see if there was a Freon leak at the compressor? What is the basis for the compressor needing to be replaced if it is blowing cold air after the condenser replacement and system recharge?

OP
OP
Legendary 88

Legendary 88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
That's what I was thinking. What is the basis for saying the compresor need to be replaced?

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I think they’re trying to milk you. As long as it still blows cold air, don’t let them touch it.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's what I was thinking. What is the basis for saying the compresor need to be replaced?
Let it ride for now.

I think 3rd party auto parts stores (Tires Plus, Merchants/Tire Kingdom, etc) have coupons in the mail all the time for free/near free AC system inspection.

Honda Civic 10th gen My AC Compressor is bad (maybe?) 5F6136FB-16D2-4F81-9E34-7CBAB3C4F1B5

Call ahead and see if they have/will use a sniffer to see if you have a Freon leak at the compressor.
Only place I know of that’d require the compressor to be replaced is at the seals at each end of the shaft. Any fittings in/out I’d assume could be remade w/o an outright replacement. Get a 2nd opinion. On the HVAC side... I don’t think they’re allowed, by law and as licensed HVAC folks, to recharge a known leaking system. The fact they’d of recharged it but says it needs to be replaced makes zero sense to me

R-1234YF is still expensive but eventually will come down. If you have a tiny bit of leakage and need a top off once or twice a year... it’d still rather pay $40 for a can of stupid expensive Freon than $1800 for a compressor... but that’s me. I topped off the Odyssey last year for a tenner... though it’s still R-134A. At 6 years... it certainly wasn’t as ‘crisp’.

Good luck

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Most likely needs a compressor. They blow out the shaft seal behind the clutch and coil. I replace them a few times a week. Honda is doing damage control on these in a panic. Parts are on back order, multiple failures.

Compressor, Condenser, Evaporator Core. One or all will fail at some point. These A/C systems are garbage. Top it off and go if you don't want to pay.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IMO Dealer don't know how to fix A/C.
He want your money with new compressor.
Or:
If the first issue was the condenser and if dealer forget to put oil with freon recharge, the compresser will blow.

2 weeks ago, no A/C on my wife's Civic, I went to my small town A/C shop ( I don't truss dealer )
No leak found , freon with oil recharge: $130 CND money.
If it was the condenser, total job will cost $400 CND money.
I know condenser is on warranty at the dealer , I prefer to pay $400 to people I trust than $1800 to a stealership !

kevoco333

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7
Country flag
But now they say the compressor is bad. It's not covered under the extended warranty AND there is only a 12 warranty on the part they replace in June of last year. I call Honda corporate to see what they can do
[/QUOTE]

The compressor in my 2018 hatchback was replaced under warranty at 25,000 miles and the car was only about 18 months old. I was curious about the warranty for an OEM replacement part while the car is still under the factory warranty so I called Honda of America. They said the replacement part is only covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles regardless if your factory warranty is still in effect. I have a CPO warranty and that doesn't make any difference and it's proably the same if you have the Honda Care warranty. The person I spoke with said if it goes again while under my CPO warranty period then I should call them and they might work something out.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Kevco333; If you pay by Credit card, some of them give you extended warranty on what you buy.

kevoco333

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7
Country flag
Kevco333; If you pay by Credit card, some of them give you extended warranty on what you buy.
Thanks latole, that's true except I didn't pay anything for my repair because it was covered under factory warranty. The point I was trying to make is that you will only get a 12 month/ 12,000 mile warranty for OEM parts that were replaced under your factory warranty (usually 3 years/36,000 miles). Let's say your compressor goes bad 6 months after purchasing the car and Honda replaces the compressor for free because it's a defective part. 2 years later the compressor starts leaking again. You could be SOL even though your factory warranty (3 years, 36,000 mile) is still in effect. My car is CPO so I have a 4 year/48,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you for the answer kevoco333, now I understant.

Funny to read so many posts with condenser replace on warranty and compressor at your expense $$$$

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
My car is CPO so I have a 4 year/48,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.
I guess it's 4 year or 48,000 miles, whichever is still not exceeded, because you had all these warranty repairs after 48,000 miles?
Sponsored