Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The compressor can be bought retail at about $210. Isn't it just a couple of bolts to replace? I mean, why does it cost so much at the dealer? Can't this be done by a typical home mechanic?
I am not trying to let Honda off the hook. But, I'd rather fix it myself instead of paying a dealer a grand or more.
I just had my compressor replaced on warranty with no problems at all. This is 38810-5AN-A02. Where can I get a new one for $210? The lowest price I see is $560 including shipping.

https://www.hondafactoryparts.com/oem-parts/honda-compressor-388105ana02

Of course the first thing to worry about is whether this is any better than the one that was leaking. It leaks on the shaft seals, which can be replaced. So it seems natural that Honda would refurbish these. I don't know if the one I had installed was new. It looks like maybe despite the quick and dirty research that has been done on the compatibility of the 1234yf & its oils with materials (metals and polymers) there might be more problems than anticipated.

Btw. the shaft seal needs to be continuously lubricated by the oil to work. As a dynamic seal subject to large temperature cycling and longer periods of inactivity, it's doomed to fail. The solution is a hermetically sealed compressor, which could be either electromagnetically coupled, or powered by an electric motor like in electric cars.

One thing I know is that paying anything close to $2k out of warranty for any compressor replacements is not in my plans for the future. And I don't see how it could cost significantly less with the labor and time involved.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag

swc5150

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic ET-T
Country flag
Last year when my '16 EX-T A/C when out, the dealer told me nothing was wrong. So, I bought a 1234 recharge kit, and it worked fine the rest of the summer. This year, the refrigerant all leaked out again, so I brought it in for the condenser replacement. Dealer told me condenser was indeed leaking but the compressor was dead as well, and it it would be $1,500 to replace. I brought it in yesterday and told them to just replace the condenser under warranty. After installing, they claimed they couldn't charge the system, as their machine won't charge if it detects a leak...they said the leak was in the compressor. I picked up the car and charged the system myself at home, and it's working great now. We'll see if the compressor indeed does have a leak soon I guess. I feel like the dealer is full of shit, since first they told me the compressor was totally bad, then later said it was just leaking. I also question whether or not the charging machine would not add refrigerant if it detected a leak. Is the machine really that intricate? I call BS on that too. At least I have it working now.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex 2.0L DOHC NA
Country flag
A/C stopped working on my 2016 Civic Ex 2.0L NA with 78K miles. I had noticed it was struggling to produce cool air back in May. As of last week it's blowing hot air. Took it to the nearest Honda dealer expecting a new condenser free of charge as per the warranty extension letter I received in November 2019. Was just quoted $2,000 for parts and labor because according to them it is the compressor that is leaking not the condenser. Ridiculous. I told them I can't afford that and will be picking it up shortly. I plan to try another dealership.

Brobb006

First Name
Brittany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I second'ed this! Over the weekends, a local Honda dealership fixed the AC issue for my 2018 hatchback at 21k miles. I know most of the techs that working there so I got in and talked to the tech that fixed the car. He said that the problem is the compressor and not the condenser. Upon inspecting the car, he said that the condenser is fine. The compressor crapped out hence the AC issue.
PSX_20200711_093952-01.jpeg
20200710_194324.jpg
Wow, all I can say is I hope Honda will come around and take responsibility for this issue! What did they say was wrong with your compressor?

And please tell me why they charge more for the labor to do an A/C recharge than the cost of the parts... they literally hook that machine up and it does all the work for them. Nothing difficult or manual about it. Haha

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, all I can say is I hope Honda will come around and take responsibility for this issue! What did they say was wrong with your compressor?

And please tell me why they charge more for the labor to do an A/C recharge than the cost of the parts... they literally hook that machine up and it does all the work for them. Nothing difficult or manual about it. Haha
Nothing much except for "it's a bad design on the compressor. We have many customers with the same issue. Someone brought his car in with 8k miles."
It was fixed under warranty so i don't have the exact numbers of line items costs. Someone has said that it was around $1700 after all said and done for compressor and recharging.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2019 HATCHBACK SPORT- UK BUILT- AC just crapped out... same story i've seen here. drivers side vents hot air, passenger side semi cool, i actually had little ice pellets shooting out the passenger side.... crazy! should be covered by warranty ...
WTF is Honda doing. How are they making the same mistakes 4 model years down the road?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A/C stopped working on my 2016 Civic Ex 2.0L NA with 78K miles. I had noticed it was struggling to produce cool air back in May. As of last week it's blowing hot air. Took it to the nearest Honda dealer expecting a new condenser free of charge as per the warranty extension letter I received in November 2019. Was just quoted $2,000 for parts and labor because according to them it is the compressor that is leaking not the condenser. Ridiculous. I told them I can't afford that and will be picking it up shortly. I plan to try another dealership.
What part of VA are you in? If you're close to NoVA, my dealer out in Winchester covered 80% of the total cost for my compressor replacement. I didn't even have to ask them to contact Honda for reimbursement, they did it proactively for me. 13 months later, still working well.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex 2.0L DOHC NA
Country flag
What part of VA are you in? If you're close to NoVA, my dealer out in Winchester covered 80% of the total cost for my compressor replacement. I didn't even have to ask them to contact Honda for reimbursement, they did it proactively for me. 13 months later, still working well.
That is great to hear. I'm in Hampton Roads so NoVa would be a hike. I just picked up the car and final quote was $2,200 for Honda parts & labor or $1,850 for their 3rd party vendor. I made an appointment next week with the dealer where I originally bought it and hope they're more reasonable. This is the 4th Honda I've owned. How this plays out will determine if I buy another.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I called American Honda corporate today regarding the price quote that I got from the dealer and I was asking them if American Honda Corp or the dealer can pay a part of the quotation. They told me that they’ll call the dealer regarding the goodwill payment but it is not a guarantee that they’ll fully cover everything or a part of it.

I told American Honda that it is a common part failure in the 10th gen Civics and is not acceptable.

A case manager will reach out to me in 1-2 business days regarding my case to which I am hoping that they’ll cover at least a part of the expense.

Brobb006

First Name
Brittany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Yeah, my first post has what they quoted me. Around $1800. $400 for the A/C recharge alone.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
I called American Honda corporate today regarding the price quote that I got from the dealer and I was asking them if American Honda Corp or the dealer can pay a part of the quotation. They told me that they’ll call the dealer regarding the goodwill payment but it is not a guarantee that they’ll fully cover everything or a part of it.

I told American Honda that it is a common part failure in the 10th gen Civics and is not acceptable.

A case manager will reach out to me in 1-2 business days regarding my case to which I am hoping that they’ll cover at least a part of the expense.
I filed a scathing letter on the Honda customer service as well as left an equally brutal feedback to American Honda for my service feedback.

Surprise, surprise.... Honda has finally reached out to me asking for my information. I am assuming they are going to pay to fix my ac.

I am going to hardball and not budge an inch on they should fix this for free. I am not willing or going to shell out a cent from my pocket to fix this which Honda 100% has an obligation to fix.

whenever someone calls me or follows up, I will make myself abundantly clear on this.

If I were you, I’d take a hard stance on not paying out of your pocket. But that is up to you.

As for me, I am taking a hardline stand and other than the 2-3 week inconvenience I endured, nothing else is coming out of my end whether it is $200 or $300. That is $200 or $300 more than I am willing to part with.

Canuck

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey it’s been 6 weeks for parts to arrive so I can’t fault the dealership. I think Honda is struggling with bad AC issues for a while now and parts are becoming hard to get. Apparently CTR AC components are unique and cannot be swapped with another model.

Canuck

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Well it’s been 8 weeks and the AC parts finally arrived and guess what? The AC coil was the wrong part in the correct box, can you believe that? Fly the correct part from Vancouver and wait 3 more days. Dealership installed all the parts and finally had AC for the first time in my brand new CTR! Not over yet, not by a long shot - on the way home I heard a loud bang coming from the engine bay and a whistling noise. Pulled over and called the dealership service manager and advised him what happened. Engine light came on “rev matching not working and another fault”. Drove it home very carefully as it was chugging and low power. Had it towed to the dealership. Picked it up the next day after they did something ?The same day I drove it back home - same problem “engine warning light”. Finally, fed up with the dealership I bought the car from, took it to local Honda dealership. Told them history of my issues and 2 days later I’m very cautious to say all is well. After some spirited red line driving, everything is back to normal, fingers crossed.
Sponsored