SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I brought in my 16 EX-L in July of last year when the a/c started blowing hot air and making the whistling/hissing noise. They determined the condenser was the issue. At first they wanted to charge me for it but talked to corporate and they covered the cost. In November I received the letter about extending the warranty on the a/c condenser. Last week the same problem arose, so I took it in. This time they said it was the evaporator - not the condenser - and therefore not covered in the warranty. Parts & labor is estimated at $1535. I asked if they could get help from Honda. Waiting to hear back. I just passed 40k and was at 34k when the condenser was fixed last year.

To the other person who mentioned the bad battery. I had one replaced within the first few hundred miles. And another one died on me less than a year later. It was all covered in the warranty though.
The entire A/C system is doomed to fail. I’m sure we’ll see a letter this year that says every component is covered. Hopefully my compressor and evaporator last until then.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
It's quite amazing that the same thing has been happening to Honda cars already over previous generations many years back, and it only got worse. There were similar complaints and lawsuits about AC already long time ago. Seems like Honda learned nothing and improved nothing, which seems very un-Japanese.

Last edited:

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
It's quite amazing that the same thing has been happening to Honda cars already over previous generations many years back, and it only got worse. There were similar complaints and lawsuits about AC already long time ago. Seems like Honda learned nothing and improved nothing, which seems very un-japanese.
Right on point. They would usually issue a letter of apology and would recall all vehicles affected.

Fk7_412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Btw, your 2018 should be still under warranty, no? If yes, you are getting even more screwed.
I drive over 20k miles a year so I'm well beyond the 36k basic warranty. Just hit 50k miles on the car, didn't start modding til mid 40s

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
I drive over 20k miles a year so I'm well beyond the 36k basic warranty. Just hit 50k miles on the car, didn't start modding til mid 40s
That explains it.

But that doesn’t explain how Honda can put in a ac system that fails in 2 years.

Mine lasted 4 years and change but only 28k miles. You should demand Honda fix it without any cost to you.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
What is “basic warranty”?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
He meant the 3y/36k Limited warranty that comes default when you buy it.
Basic or bumper-to-bumper warranty as opposed to other warranties that may come with a new car, such as powertrain warranty (5y/60k miles), emission components warranty, battery warranty, and other warranties such as....refrigerant warranty (2y/24 k) which I guess applies to situations where there is not enough refrigerant but there's also no leak....

Last edited:

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got my AC fixed last Thursday. It was a condenser leak for me. Replaced it under warranty. No cost to me. Well, the cost was actually some minor damage from sloppy techs but they are going to repair it.

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Got my AC fixed last Thursday. It was a condenser leak for me. Replaced it under warranty. No cost to me. Well, the cost was actually some minor damage from sloppy techs but they are going to repair it.
They butcher your bumper cover?

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They butcher your bumper cover?
Yes, a little bit. And they didn't totally reinstall a piece in the lower grill and had to bring it back into the shop. And now the chrome above my headlights seems loose. It's going into their body shop and they are paying for it.

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, a little bit. And they didn't totally reinstall a piece in the lower grill and had to bring it back into the shop. And now the chrome above my headlights seems loose. It's going into their body shop and they are paying for it.
Sounds like they broke some clips. It’s not even hard once you’ve done it once or twice.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like they broke some clips. It’s not even hard once you’ve done it once or twice.
The right side of the bumper doesn't line up correctly, where it meets the fender at the side marker light. I even said to them, "I think you broke a clip". Got crickets. Told them they need to fix it so when I am able to trade in for an Si, I won't get downgraded because of their poor workmanship.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Honda is still ripping you off. The part is clearly defective and a matter of time before they are forced to fix it legally. You should demand free full replacement.

i have written to American Honda and I expect a full free replacement with $0 cost to me.

Just so you know, the part itself costs less than $250. The entire compressor assembly.
80-90% coverage isn't a bad deal for something that's technically outside warranty. There's no harm in asking, but Honda is unlikely to budge until their hand gets forced (i.e. court decision). I respect that you're will to push them on the basis of principle. For me, it wasn't worth the time and headache to pursue further.

And yes, the recovery and charge process is more expensive than the parts themselves. Dealer labor rates are never a bargain.

TuthDrJSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Country flag
Ughhh... I hope mine doesn’t go out anytime soon. I’m in Florida and it has been insanely hot the last few weeks. I noticed when I run my a/c and I’m standing outside of my car, you can hear the fan blowing relatively loud. I did notice at some point after running for a good 30 minutes or so, it still wouldn’t cool down enough. I’m not sure what to think. My car is over 29k miles but I just recently got it last month. But haven’t got any notifications of any recalls of some sort. ??
Jennifer... sounds like it's "out" already. I have 2 Civics, a '16 EXL Coupe, the Compressor went out at 25,000 miles just under 3 yrs old and recently the Condensor was replaced under Honda's extended Warranty The '18 is a LX 4 door which has had practically the whole system preplaced at different times under warranty. Tank it in. Its brutally HOY in So Florida too. Local dealer always had parts available & quick turn around
Sponsored