CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
I'm in IL & this was early in 2018. The dealer could not find what wanted locally & said the sedans were now being made in Japan. There was one scheduled to be made in Japan for another dealer & they did a dealer swap but at the factory level. And that's where mine came from. The whole scenario could be a bunch of BS. But I Googled & what I found was the IN plant was converted to SUVs because that was the hot seller. So I figured the dealer was telling the truth.

Here's one article about it.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/01/next-honda-civic-imported-from-japan/

I just found this posting where it says only certain trim levels would be made in Japan, and mine qualifies.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/some-honda-civics-are-now-built-in-japan.23811/

FWIW I looked at several Civic Sedans before I got mine & what stood out was the crappy deck lid gaps. One side always had a bigger gap than the other. Obviously this can be adjusted, but it surprised me because I thought Hondas were known for their quality. My Japan made Civic has even gaps.

It still surprises me that they send 60% of the parts to Japan to get put into a car & sent back here. It doesn't seem cost effective.
The place of manufacture iw written on the B pillar and the first few characters of the VIN contains the assembly plant identifier.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
The place of manufacture iw written on the B pillar and the first few characters of the VIN contains the assembly plant identifier.
Most or all of 2016-18s came out of the Honda plant in Ontario, Canada.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
And do you think there is a difference in quality/panel gaps/rattles...?
As mentioned in an earlier posting, the deck lid gaps look better on my car than the sedans I saw on the dealer's lot. I wasn't looking for any comparisons at the time, but the gaps were big on one side & tight on the other. I have no idea if that means the overall quality is different because that's only one item.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2016 Civic Touring (2016) with 28000 miles had the ac go kaput last week blowing hot air out of all vents except one that is blowing somewhat cold air.

Took it to the dealer and they said it’s not my condenser that is leaking but my compressor is and Honda won’t cover it according to the extended warranty they sent out last year.

They want $2000 to replace my compressor and I am giving them diddly squat. I made the dealer waive the $90 diagnostic charge and got the hell out of there.

i have sent a strongly worded letter to American Honda to step up and fix my ac unit or face legal action. Will let you know what I hear back.

i have always owned Toyota’s and Lexus and never had this kind of issue before. It’s pathetic that they will put an ac unit that is defective and then dance around it to cherry-pick what they will fix and cleverly assign blame to another part in the ac system.

I am really regretting buying a Honda and told them without varnishing it in the letter I sent. And I will take these bastards to court if need be, if they don’t step up and fix or replace the defective unit for free.

Anyone else dealt with Honda on this issue and smelling roses? Post about it.

i Am going to do my best to make these bastards pay and step up to the plate and own up to the lemons they have been selling customers for $25k+ price tag.

I am supremely disappointed at Honda.
$2k is absolutely ridiculous for just a compressor. I was quoted just north of $1200 after my compressor was diagnosed as the point of failure in April '19 at 44k miles. Even out of warranty, my dealer proactively emailed American Honda for some type of goodwill assistance (because quite frankly, Honda knows it's a common failure point with the earlier Civics).

My dealer called me back less than 30 minutes after leaving the service department, same day, saying Honda would cover the cost except a $250 "deposit". Was I happy that my A/C failed at such low mileage? Hell no - and with a half dozen cars over 2 decades in my family/parents care, I've never seen an A/C failure before. At the same time, the dealership had my back to the extent that they could.

I'd (kindly but firmly) request your dealer communicate with American Honda on your behalf, especially if you're a customer they'd consider keeping.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
$2k is absolutely ridiculous for just a compressor. I was quoted just north of $1200 after my compressor was diagnosed as the point of failure in April '19 at 44k miles. Even out of warranty, my dealer proactively emailed American Honda for some type of goodwill assistance (because quite frankly, Honda knows it's a common failure point with the earlier Civics).

My dealer called me back less than 30 minutes after leaving the service department, same day, saying Honda would cover the cost except a $250 "deposit". Was I happy that my A/C failed at such low mileage? Hell no - and with a half dozen cars over 2 decades in my family/parents care, I've never seen an A/C failure before. At the same time, the dealership had my back to the extent that they could.

I'd (kindly but firmly) request your dealer communicate with American Honda on your behalf, especially if you're a customer they'd consider keeping.
I have sent a scathing letter to American Honda as well the dealership in the service feedback and it was directed at Honda.

I am not paying a penny for this bullshit defective part Honda is fully aware of but keep dancing around it.

it is just a matter of time before Honda recalls the 2016-18 Civics to fix the ac unitand they went through this in 2012 for the same issue.

There is already a Class action lawsuit in progress on this

Andre Wong v. American Honda

I won’t be shelling out even a penny to fix this and it’s either Honda fixing it in response to my scathing letter or the inevitable replacement they have to do once they lose that class action.

I do hope Honda steps up before that and take responsibility to fix it before a legal mandate. That is the difference between a good car company and a shitty one.

Fk7_412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
*Follow up update*

Took my 18 civic sport in 10 days ago to find out I had a leaking compressor and not a condenser like I thought. Instead of paying right then and there, I took the dealers recommendation on them reaching out to a Honda rep with my info for me. They offered to cover 80% of the $1500 compressor replacement job. Good guy Honda coming in and keeping me loyal, that's for sure.

Going in Tuesday, so hopefully this gets fixed in the middle of this heat wave!

Fred_Farkle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If you own a 2016-2018 10th gen, you probably have a bad condenser. It’s just a matter of time. I’ve been waiting for mine to show signs. This week it did.

My 2017 Si is right at 44,000 miles today. The A/C has been just fine up until about a week ago when I started realizing it should be colder than it is. Aside from the vent whistling noises I’ve been hearing for the better part of the last 20k miles.

Only after around 30 minutes of driving it would get acceptably cold, but still not where it should be.

Today on my way to work I had the A/C full blast and I heard a crackling and saw a cloud-like mist coming from the passenger side middle vent. I thought it was smoke at first but it didn’t smell. The passenger side was noticeably colder than the driver’s side even with SYNC button on.

Now it’s just acting weird, I get cold air sometimes, and other times just warm air.

Made an appointment for the 180$ diagnosis for next Monday. Hopefully it is the condenser and I get it replaced for free.

My experience seems to line up with what everyone else has been saying when theirs goes.

***DEALERSHIP VISIT UPDATE*** 6/6/2020
It is indeed the Condenser that has failed, and everything will be covered. Bad news is that the condenser is on backorder. Service rep says could be days, could be weeks.

So I’m SOL right now and i’m gonna sweat it out in the hottest month of the year. Good luck to everyone else and their A/C probs. Aint no fun.

***ONE DAY LATER*** 6/7/2020
Service rep at the dealer calls me and says they got condensers in today....

***FIXED***
Condenser was replaced and refrigerant recharged. This took them a few hours. Apparently recharging the r1234yf takes awhile.

479900C0-3C91-4759-85E4-19F39A9A70F9.jpeg
Taking mine in Monday afternoon to have it checked/replaced.

It started blowing warm air from the driver's side vent and cool, but not cold air from the passenger's side... on the hottest day of the year!

Will update after I get my car back.

Only 14,000 miles, and the AC is toast!

Last edited:

KConradG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I brought in my 16 EX-L in July of last year when the a/c started blowing hot air and making the whistling/hissing noise. They determined the condenser was the issue. At first they wanted to charge me for it but talked to corporate and they covered the cost. In November I received the letter about extending the warranty on the a/c condenser. Last week the same problem arose, so I took it in. This time they said it was the evaporator - not the condenser - and therefore not covered in the warranty. Parts & labor is estimated at $1535. I asked if they could get help from Honda. Waiting to hear back. I just passed 40k and was at 34k when the condenser was fixed last year. UPDATE. Honda said they'd split the cost 50/50 with me. The full amount ended up being $1120 so half of that came out to 560. Not a great turnout, but $1000 less than originally offered.

To the other person who mentioned the bad battery. I had one replaced within the first few hundred miles. And another one died on me less than a year later. It was all covered in the warranty though.

Last edited:

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
*Follow up update*

Took my 18 civic sport in 10 days ago to find out I had a leaking compressor and not a condenser like I thought. Instead of paying right then and there, I took the dealers recommendation on them reaching out to a Honda rep with my info for me. They offered to cover 80% of the $1500 compressor replacement job. Good guy Honda coming in and keeping me loyal, that's for sure.

Honda is still ripping you off. The part is clearly defective and a matter of time before they are forced to fix it legally. You should demand free full replacement.

i have written to American Honda and I expect a full free replacement with $0 cost to me.

Just so you know, the part itself costs less than $250. The entire compressor assembly.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
*Follow up update*

Btw, your 2018 should be still under warranty, no? If yes, you are getting even more screwed.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
I brought in my 16 EX-L in July of last year when the a/c started blowing hot air and making the whistling/hissing noise. They determined the condenser was the issue. At first they wanted to charge me for it but talked to corporate and they covered the cost. In November I received the letter about extending the warranty on the a/c condenser. Last week the same problem arose, so I took it in. This time they said it was the evaporator - not the condenser - and therefore not covered in the warranty. Parts & labor is estimated at $1535. I asked if they could get help from Honda. Waiting to hear back. I just passed 40k and was at 34k when the condenser was fixed last year.

To the other person who mentioned the bad battery. I had one replaced within the first few hundred miles. And another one died on me less than a year later. It was all covered in the warranty though.
I am the one who had the defective battery.

it was pathetic that the battery died in 8 months and I’d have never guessed it was the battery because the whole electrical system just gasped and died.

Ive never had a battery die on me that fast and I owned 2 Toyotas and 2 Lexuses before and between the 4 cars, I changed 1 battery after 5 years.

I typically turn around my cars in 4-5.5 years and this is my worst experience so far.

I am going back to Toyota/Lexus once I get rid of this Honda sooner or later.
Sponsored