My A/C took a poop...*Dealership update*

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
Same with me but I had my 17’ Civic Hatch checked out too for the A/C blowing warm air. They said the Evaporator was leaking and the job cost $2,100+, had to remove the dashboard and work in there. I called Honda and had a case manager look into it but they said there is nothing they can do, and it has to be an out of pocket expense. Rough not having A/C especially during this time in Southern California. I hope they announce a recall or some kind of compensation for people who have paid to get the service done, I believe it’s a common issue a lot of people get.
They told me today my compressor is leaking and the condenser is fine and will cost me $2000.

Honda is pulling a huge con job on this issue without admitting they have a shitty defective ac unit. They are trying to move away from the condenser to point the problem to and wiggle out of.

Send them a strongly worded email on the owners website and threaten them with legal action if they won’t fix it.
Sponsored

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
I wonder if this is a problem that affects ALL 2016-2018 Civics or just some :dunno:
All. This is a widespread problem with 2016-18 civics and not just limited to the condenser. The whole ac unit is a dud.
Recall coming sooner or later. Inevitable.

Every mechanic knows about this and blame the whole ac unit not just the condenser.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
2 grand is insane. Tell him to keep his receipts, because Honda will get sued and he may get reimbursed.
That’s what the dealer wanted from me today and I am not paying a penny.

There is already a Class Action initiated on this issue. Google for

Andre Wong v. American Honda Motors

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
All. This is a widespread problem with 2016-18 civics and not just limited to the condenser. The whole ac unit is a dud.
Recall coming sooner or later. Inevitable.

Every mechanic knows about this and blame the whole ac unit not just the condenser.
I suspect after this summer’s onslaught of civics filling up service departments across the world, we’ll be getting another letter in the mail about every component of the A/C system being warrantied for 10 years. Keep your receipts people.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
I suspect after this summer’s onslaught of civics filling up service departments across the world, we’ll be getting another letter in the mail about every component of the A/C system being warrantied for 10 years. Keep your receipts people.
I am not fixing this out of my pocket hoping Honda will reimburse me.

Ive sent them a sternly worded letter to step up and admit and fix the defective unit or face legal action.

They better pony up and fix me with the dealer to take care of this or there is going to be hell to pay.

this is a widespread issue with 2016-18 Civics and they are going to fail before the 3-4 year mark.

Mine did after 4 years 3 months and 28k miles.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
My 2016 Civic Touring (2016) with 28000 miles had the ac go kaput last week blowing hot air out of all vents except one that is blowing somewhat cold air.

Took it to the dealer and they said it’s not my condenser that is leaking but my compressor is and Honda won’t cover it according to the extended warranty they sent out last year.

They want $2000 to replace my compressor and I am giving them diddly squat. I made the dealer waive the $90 diagnostic charge and got the hell out of there.

i have sent a strongly worded letter to American Honda to step up and fix my ac unit or face legal action. Will let you know what I hear back.

i have always owned Toyota’s and Lexus and never had this kind of issue before. It’s pathetic that they will put an ac unit that is defective and then dance around it to cherry-pick what they will fix and cleverly assign blame to another part in the ac system.

I am really regretting buying a Honda and told them without varnishing it in the letter I sent. And I will take these bastards to court if need be, if they don’t step up and fix or replace the defective unit for free.

Anyone else dealt with Honda on this issue and smelling roses? Post about it.

i Am going to do my best to make these bastards pay and step up to the plate and own up to the lemons they have been selling customers for $25k+ price tag.

I am supremely disappointed at Honda.
I’ve owned a Honda before which was a 6th gen Civic that was really durable. The way the A/C system fails on the 10th gen is really unacceptable especially that my sport hatchback airconditioning also got busted. Honda’s quality has gone down the drain to be honest. I was planning to upgrade to a Type R but after hearing A/C problems on it as well, I said to myself that I ain’t getting another Honda again.

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am not fixing this out of my pocket hoping Honda will reimburse me.

Ive sent them a sternly worded letter to step up and admit and fix the defective unit or face legal action.

They better pony up and fix me with the dealer to take care of this or there is going to be hell to pay.

this is a widespread issue with 2016-18 Civics and they are going to fail before the 3-4 year mark.

Mine did after 4 years 3 months and 28k miles.
You may need to sweat it out for a couple months. Lawsuits are already in motion from what it sounds like. I wouldn’t pay 2000$ either.

Most Honda civic owners can’t afford a 2000$ bill. That’s why they bought a civic in the first place.

I’ve had several issues with my Si so far. Luckily all covered by warranty, but i’m beginning to look for the hidden BMW logo.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
Isolating it to the condenser is bs. It affects the whole ac system. And Honda is wiggling out of most of the so called warranty by pinning the leak somewhere else on the ac unit. Mine was today blamed on the compressor to milk me $2000.

Truth is they have a defective ac unit. They better step up and fix the unit without cherry picking the origin of the leak just to the condenser.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Isolating it to the condenser is bs. It affects the whole ac system. And Honda is wiggling out of most of the so called warranty by pinning the leak somewhere else on the ac unit. Mine was today blamed on the compressor to milk me $2000.

Truth is they have a defective ac unit. They better step up and fix the unit without cherry picking the origin of the leak just to the condenser.
I agree to what you said. Honda shifted to R1234YF refrigerant and it was a perfect solution to a disaster due to substandard parts that they used with the new refrigerant.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
What about 2019s are those affected as well with these issues

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have seen a couple 2019 owners complaining about A/C issues. I wouldn’t count yourself out. But for the most part i’ve only seen a few 2019s with more than 25k miles on the odometer. So it may be too early to tell.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
I have seen a couple 2019 owners complaining about A/C issues. I wouldn’t count yourself out. But for the most part i’ve only seen a few 2019s with more than 25k miles on the odometer. So it may be too early to tell.
I was asking that because Honda only extended warranty for 2017 & 18's. I don't have issue now but my ODO is around 18k

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
2016-18 Civics use the same defective part. I think in 2019, they started using a different one. Doesn’t mean they are trouble free. It just means it is not the same part and it is a bit early for the 2019s to start failing and if they do, people are not really reporting it because they are still under the 3Y/36K warranty.

You know the battery on my car quit and died in 9 months from the date I bought it but they towed and replaced it. It’s not something I’d think about reporting because the warranty was still there but thinking back, 9 mos is a really short span for a battery.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
2019s should be still under warranty period.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
I was asking that because Honda only extended warranty for 2017 & 18's. I don't have issue now but my ODO is around 18k
2019s should be still under bumper to bumperwarranty. You should start worrying when your warranty is about to expire.
Sponsored