First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Service rep calls this morning and says “Guess what?”

They get condensers in the day after he tells me they're on back order. Sounds like Honda shipped a bunch to every dealership.
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you are out of warranty on either of these I would not get it done at the dealer. You can save a bunch by buying the parts yourself and having an independent shop do the install or doing it yourself. Although if it needs to be drained you'd have to get a shop to do it.

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you are out of warranty on either of these I would not get it done at the dealer. You can save a bunch by buying the parts yourself and having an independent shop do the install or doing it yourself. Although if it needs to be drained you'd have to get a shop to do it.
You’re right. I’m still covered under warranty right now, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I see more issues with this A/C system in the next couple years. Hopefully more extended warranties are issued for other components other than the condenser.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
You’re right. I’m still covered under warranty right now, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I see more issues with this A/C system in the next couple years. Hopefully more extended warranties are issued for other components other than the condenser.
I have an extended warranty on my CTR but only had 4k when my compressor seized! My Honda dealership replaced everything to do with the AC system. I'm hoping that has fixed it for good. But if they are buying g defective parts from the supplier who knows how long it will last

Canuck

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey l grew up in Oakville Ontario. I've been living in the US since 1996. If your Honda dealer is like mine, they will fix your AC. ASAP
It sounds like with all these Honda AC issues it may become a recall issue. I wonder were they get their AC components from ??
Hey it’s been 6 weeks for parts to arrive so I can’t fault the dealership. I think Honda is struggling with bad AC issues for a while now and parts are becoming hard to get. Apparently CTR AC components are unique and cannot be swapped with another model.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I wonder if civics made in Japan, UK, USA or Canada make any difference in quality of AC.
This might be interesting to find out.

The sedans used to be made in Indiana. up to 2017 or part of 2018. My 2018 sedan was made in Japan. Then someone with a later 2018 date said his was made in USA. My car is made with 60% U.S./Canadian parts. Was my condenser made in North America & shipped to Japan, or was it made in Japan? And aren't the hatchbacks made in the UK?

Anyone with problems interested in posting their vehicle's date & country of manufacture?

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

The sedans used to be made in Indiana. up to 2017 or part of 2018. My 2018 sedan was made in Japan. Then someone with a later 2018 date said his was made in USA. My car is made with 60% U.S./Canadian parts. Was my condenser made in North America & shipped to Japan, or was it made in Japan? And aren't the hatchbacks made in the UK?

Anyone with problems interested in posting their vehicle's date & country of manufacture?
I don’t think they stopped making the sedan in Greensburg, IN. Where’d u get a Japan sedan?

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag

My sport hatchback came from their UK plant.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I don’t think they stopped making the sedan in Greensburg, IN. Where’d u get a Japan sedan?
I'm in IL & this was early in 2018. The dealer could not find what wanted locally & said the sedans were now being made in Japan. There was one scheduled to be made in Japan for another dealer & they did a dealer swap but at the factory level. And that's where mine came from. The whole scenario could be a bunch of BS. But I Googled & what I found was the IN plant was converted to SUVs because that was the hot seller. So I figured the dealer was telling the truth.

Here's one article about it.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/01/next-honda-civic-imported-from-japan/

I just found this posting where it says only certain trim levels would be made in Japan, and mine qualifies.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/some-honda-civics-are-now-built-in-japan.23811/

FWIW I looked at several Civic Sedans before I got mine & what stood out was the crappy deck lid gaps. One side always had a bigger gap than the other. Obviously this can be adjusted, but it surprised me because I thought Hondas were known for their quality. My Japan made Civic has even gaps.

It still surprises me that they send 60% of the parts to Japan to get put into a car & sent back here. It doesn't seem cost effective.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Oh man. All that to replace the AC condenser? I have mine being replaced on the 17th and was hoping its just the engine bay fix. Don't the 10th Gens have their condenser at the front left of the engine bay? Anyone who has had theirs replaced on a 10th Gen know whats involved and if its this invasive?
He is showing the inside which houses the evap coil. It’s the low side version of the condenser in simple terms. It’s what actually sub cools the ambient air

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
My thing is, without tearing your dash apart, how did they conclude your evap coil is leaking? Unless they took apart your interior.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
I keep the windows down too, I get headache when I use the A/C in cars, So I use it a few times a week and then only for a few mintes maybe, but now it started to stink terribly. Especially when I turnn The A/C off but the vent is running.
Have you replaced your canon filter ever

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
My 2016 Civic Touring (2016) with 28000 miles had the ac go kaput last week blowing hot air out of all vents except one that is blowing somewhat cold air.

Took it to the dealer and they said it’s not my condenser that is leaking but my compressor is and Honda won’t cover it according to the extended warranty they sent out last year.

They want $2000 to replace my compressor and I am giving them diddly squat. I made the dealer waive the $90 diagnostic charge and got the hell out of there.

i have sent a strongly worded letter to American Honda to step up and fix my ac unit or face legal action. Will let you know what I hear back.

i have always owned Toyota’s and Lexus and never had this kind of issue before. It’s pathetic that they will put an ac unit that is defective and then dance around it to cherry-pick what they will fix and cleverly assign blame to another part in the ac system.

I am really regretting buying a Honda and told them without varnishing it in the letter I sent. And I will take these bastards to court if need be, if they don’t step up and fix or replace the defective unit for free.

Anyone else dealt with Honda on this issue and smelling roses? Post about it.

i Am going to do my best to make these bastards pay and step up to the plate and own up to the lemons they have been selling customers for $25k+ price tag.

I am supremely disappointed at Honda.

Hydrolic11

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

My 2019, according to the VIN number, was made in good ol' Indiana
Sponsored